Has anyone been out yet?

Lasalle Lake - Seneca, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Has anyone been out yet?

Postby big jay » Mar Mon 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any reports I've been wanting to get out but when I have time the wind Blowing to hard.
big jay
Minnow
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Apr Sun 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Mon 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Took the kids out for catfish Sunday. Only about 6 boats in the lot at 11AM. 88 degrees in the discharge arm. Around 77-81 in the middle pool. Screwing around with the kids we caught over 50 little cats just off the rocks out to about 10 feet. Not one other species of fish and we moved around a little too. Definetly still some other fish in there I believe, but much different then the days you could go down the rip rap and catch a ton of different species every time out.
User avatar
FishinMatt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5512
Joined: Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Aurora

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby big jay » Mar Mon 27, 2017 8:27 pm

That's not really what I wanted to hear.
big jay
Minnow
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Apr Sun 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Tue 28, 2017 7:25 am

Matt, and Jay.

A couple of friends of mine were out on Sunday morning as well for one of them to break in a new motor on his boat, more than anything. They were casting cranks(shad raps/flicker shad) along all the riprap and they picked up a mixed bag of about 60 fish. They said they caught blues, channels, largemouth, smallmouth, drum, and a couple whites. Said most the cats were cookie cutter 10-12 inchers, but said they got a handful of nice channels and nice blues in the 3-5lb range, as well as about a dozen largemouth. So the mixed bags are definitely there and available to catch. Just gotta find em!
SmalliesNEyes
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Tue 28, 2017 3:00 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Took the kids out for catfish Sunday. Only about 6 boats in the lot at 11AM. 88 degrees in the discharge arm. Around 77-81 in the middle pool. Screwing around with the kids we caught over 50 little cats just off the rocks out to about 10 feet. Not one other species of fish and we moved around a little too. Definetly still some other fish in there I believe, but much different then the days you could go down the rip rap and catch a ton of different species every time out.


Any blues in the mix?
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 5310
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: River Grove

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Tue 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Only threw out cutbait for blues for a few minutes bc my daughter wanted to fish with one of my rods. She set it down and a minute later we watched it launch out of the boat never to be seen again. Shimano Crucial along with with last Shimano Sahara 1500, which they don't make anymore :wink: I would say it is depressing though for the kids to go through almost 6 dozen minnows up and down the center dike and tangle with nothing but cookie cutter catfish. They loved it, but in the past there would have been many other species pulling their drags.

As far as Lasalles fishery goes, I have been fishing the lake for over 20 years. Many a hundred fish days for me in the past. Shit, go through my old reports on this site for site some truly epic days. Unfortunately, unless you are into trophy blue cats, the fishery is in poor condition compared to what is has been in the past. Hell, 5 years ago I would never bother even trying to launch my boat mid morning on a nice Sunday. There would be a waiting line of boats. 6 rigs in the lot on a weekend is all you really need to know. It went from amazing to fairly average imo.
User avatar
FishinMatt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5512
Joined: Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Aurora

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby Fonzie » Mar Tue 28, 2017 6:09 pm

FishinMatt wrote: As far as Lasalles fishery goes, I have been fishing the lake for over 20 years. Many a hundred fish days for me in the past. Shit, go through my old reports on this site for site some truly epic days. Unfortunately, unless you are into trophy blue cats, the fishery is in poor condition compared to what is has been in the past. Hell, 5 years ago I would never bother even trying to launch my boat mid morning on a nice Sunday. There would be a waiting line of boats. 6 rigs in the lot on a weekend is all you really need to know. It went from amazing to fairly average imo.



Your take on things regarding LaSalle is true IMO. As are your recent L-L posts on the Delavan situation ...


.


.
Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Oct Tue 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Tue 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks Glenn. I know you have been pounding both lakes for as long as I have known you, so I imagine we share similar disapointments in both fisheries. My mother used to write notes to get me out of high school to go fish Lasalle opening day in the early 90's!
User avatar
FishinMatt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5512
Joined: Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Aurora

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Wed 29, 2017 7:40 am

FishinMatt wrote:Only threw out cutbait for blues for a few minutes bc my daughter wanted to fish with one of my rods. She set it down and a minute later we watched it launch out of the boat never to be seen again. Shimano Crucial along with with last Shimano Sahara 1500, which they don't make anymore :wink: I would say it is depressing though for the kids to go through almost 6 dozen minnows up and down the center dike and tangle with nothing but cookie cutter catfish. They loved it, but in the past there would have been many other species pulling their drags.

As far as Lasalles fishery goes, I have been fishing the lake for over 20 years. Many a hundred fish days for me in the past. Shit, go through my old reports on this site for site some truly epic days. Unfortunately, unless you are into trophy blue cats, the fishery is in poor condition compared to what is has been in the past. Hell, 5 years ago I would never bother even trying to launch my boat mid morning on a nice Sunday. There would be a waiting line of boats. 6 rigs in the lot on a weekend is all you really need to know. It went from amazing to fairly average imo.


I don't doubt your experience there Matt. I remember I used to go there with my grandparent's neighbor and my Dad on his boat as a kid and we would throw slip bobbers with leeches all up along the riprap shorelines and pull out big fish after big fish. It was always a nicely mixed bag, and always a ton of fun. I haven't been there in a while, but was just going off what my friends told me about catching a mixed bag the other day. I trust both of them when they say they caught a large variance of fish. Most have little to no size, though, and are the cookie cutter 10-12 inch catfish, or 12-14 inch bass. The drum population seems to be fine, and you can always get into some nice ones, from what I hear. And they're fun to catch at least.

I think the biggest issue with all of these fisheries is a lack of funds and staffing for the DNR. They can't police Illinois' bodies of water, so everyone pretty much does what they want. When you go to a lake every weekend for an entire spring-fall season and see the DNR maybe one time ever in that span, you know there's a problem. These guys know that and take every single fish they catch, particularly big breeding fish, and the fisheries decline slowly but surely. Now you're going to lose the hybrids and pike that are stocked in Illinois waters due to manpower issues at the DNR and the hatcheries. According to Dan Stephenson, with the Illinois DNR, he has 58 staff members currently, and another 9 working on the Asian carp crisis. Not too many years ago they had 150 people working in the DNR. In 15 years or so the state has lost 100 DNR positions. That's outrageous, and goes to show what a piss-poor situation this state is currently in. "Oh... the state has no money???!?! Just cut jobs at the DNR and steal their money! The natural resources of this state will take care of themselves!" Fucking ridiculous.

There won't be fishing at all in Illinois in the future, unless they figure out the budget/money issues, and stop siphoning money from the DNR to fund other things, and the politician's pockets. There absolutely has to be some change, and it starts from the top down in the government of this state. Or we can kiss our natural resources in Illinois goodbye, unfortunately.
SmalliesNEyes
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby Rambler » Mar Wed 29, 2017 10:25 am

Unfortunately Eyes is spot on. If this state was a corporation creditors would have forced its liquidation years ago. Even worse, no matter what happens ultimately the "solution" will be allowing the state pension funds to claim bankruptcy. That means folks with state pensions might get $.50 on the dollar - if they're lucky. Look at what happened to retired Detroit cops & firefighters.

And while I'm not Rauner fan (hey - who the fuck gave him that flannel shirt he's wearing in his latest commercial? They should be fired - he looks like a complete rube or at least a rube wannabe) the trouble started decades ago when the idiots who run the state decided it was a good idea to not pay the state's share into pensions. And shame on watchdogs for not screaming and yelling about it. And shame on all of us voters who kept these morons in office.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
User avatar
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Near West suburbs

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Wed 29, 2017 11:20 am

There may be loss of IDNR staff and that really sucks nobody is happy about that besides the idiots who love it so they can harvest and fish with no license. What IDNR could do though is revise archaic rules and revamp their regulations with respect to bag limits, size limits, and changing many waterways and lakes to C&R only. Seems like regulations are rubber stamped year after year. Be more adaptive and make them far more limiting. Unmanaged waters should be C&R only for gamefish unless there is an overload. Musky C&R only, drop some creel limits frim 3 to 1 on some waterways, etc. Update the regulations paper copy, website, post signs , etc but do something proactive to offset over harvest, reduced stockings, or pressure on heavily fished waters. You don't need boots on the ground to change regulations. A limited staff can do that.
User avatar
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4028
Joined: Nov Thu 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Wed 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Skifish1 wrote:There may be loss of IDNR staff and that really sucks nobody is happy about that besides the idiots who love it so they can harvest and fish with no license. What IDNR could do though is revise archaic rules and revamp their regulations with respect to bag limits, size limits, and changing many waterways and lakes to C&R only. Seems like regulations are rubber stamped year after year. Be more adaptive and make them far more limiting. Unmanaged waters should be C&R only for gamefish unless there is an overload. Musky C&R only, drop some creel limits frim 3 to 1 on some waterways, etc. Update the regulations paper copy, website, post signs , etc but do something proactive to offset over harvest, reduced stockings, or pressure on heavily fished waters. You don't need boots on the ground to change regulations. A limited staff can do that.


I partially agree that other measures can be taken to try and offset the lack of staffing and money. The boots on the ground, and in the offices, are necessary to enforce the changes, though. What good does a creel limit or size limits do if no one is ever at the lake to enforce those rules/laws? Most bodies of water already have size, slot, and creel limits on the most popular species. That doesn't seem to matter. It's having the damn DNR there every single day, checking every single cooler, bucket, and livewell. Nothing more.

C&R has a habit of stunting fisheries, also, when it's an already established fishery. I could see if every lake was brand new, and had no fish in it already, then sure... give it C&R for 5 years or so, and then put out creel and size limits. But... and it's a huge but, boots on the ground are absolutely vital to the entire process to enforce the size and creel limits to prevent over-harvesting, and/or undersized harvesting. It's no different than having closed seasons on fish. Ok... so I can't keep perch between May 1 - June 15. What the hell do I care about that for, when there's no one there to catch me keeping a limit of 15 every day during that 6 week period? (Obviously this is hypothetical, as I do care).

Currently the Illinois fisheries are suffering the most due to the hatcheries, and lack of personnel enforcing the rules/laws/regulations on all bodies of water. If you have no one to work/manage the hatcheries, then you have no fish to stock. It's the sole reason for the pike and hybrid striper stocking programs going down the toilet into non-existence. And it will continue for every other fishery in the state, and every species, if something isn't done about it.

Think about how many public lakes are in Illinois. There are 166 lakes in Illinois (according to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_in_Illinois). There's obviously hundreds more small lakes/ponds, but we can disregard those. So... 58 employees in the DNR. That includes your office staff, biologists, secretaries, conservation officers, etc. Figure there's maybe 40 actual DNR conservation officers throughout the entire state. So they have 4 lakes per officer? How does that work? The staff is stretched way too thin. And all of us are suffering for it, including the fish, wildlife, and natural resources of this state. Not just the people living here. This state needs to get its shit together. I'm sorry to say, as it currently stands, I'll be moving out of state soon if things don't improve. And there's many more that will follow.
SmalliesNEyes
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby Darkstar72 » Mar Wed 29, 2017 1:46 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Only threw out cutbait for blues for a few minutes bc my daughter wanted to fish with one of my rods. She set it down and a minute later we watched it launch out of the boat never to be seen again. Shimano Crucial along with with last Shimano Sahara 1500, which they don't make anymore :wink: I would say it is depressing though for the kids to go through almost 6 dozen minnows up and down the center dike and tangle with nothing but cookie cutter catfish. They loved it, but in the past there would have been many other species pulling their drags.

As far as Lasalles fishery goes, I have been fishing the lake for over 20 years. Many a hundred fish days for me in the past. Shit, go through my old reports on this site for site some truly epic days. Unfortunately, unless you are into trophy blue cats, the fishery is in poor condition compared to what is has been in the past. Hell, 5 years ago I would never bother even trying to launch my boat mid morning on a nice Sunday. There would be a waiting line of boats. 6 rigs in the lot on a weekend is all you really need to know. It went from amazing to fairly average imo.


I lost a rod and reel to a blue fishing with cut shad out of my jon-boat.....got out and back with a 55lb Minnkota troller which I didn't know I couldn't use on LaSalle....no one told me until I was pulling the boat out of the water so I didn't worry. :)

Rod holder was right there.....sucks but that's how we learn.
User avatar
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Jul Mon 11, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Palatine, IL

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Wed 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Of all the years fishing, that was a first for me. Almost lost one at Johnson Pier in Waukegan once. Caught the butt of the rod as right before it went in then held on for dear life with a big king on the other end.

I see the whole state of IL as a joke. I would have no problem tripling the license fee if it meant better fishery management but it would do no good in this state. I envy anyone who moves out of this shithole.
User avatar
FishinMatt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5512
Joined: Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Aurora

Re: Has anyone been out yet?

Postby big jay » Mar Wed 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks guys I agree about Delevan going to crap. I spend most of my time on lake Geneva I was just looking for a place to fish while I wait for game fishing to open in Wisconsin. Maybe I'll give Heidecke a shot or stay closer to home. I'm not driving that far to catch 12 inch catfish.
big jay
Minnow
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Apr Sun 07, 2013 5:58 pm


Return to Lasalle Lake

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest