Smokin' rocks

The "Big Pond" is loaded with salmon, trout, perch, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, carp and more.

Smokin' rocks

Postby Brett » Jun Sun 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Went to Belmont tonight, hoping for smallies on the drop shot. Found rock bass instead. The little one was the toughest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Re: Smokin' rocks

Postby Brett » Jun Sun 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Forgot to mention a pike came up and took a swipe at one of them while I was fighting him. Was really cool to see, loving the polarized glasses I bought.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Mon 12, 2017 2:24 am

Forget about the smallmouth. Theres going to be some epic pike catches from the big pond in the up coming decade. The lake habitat has been changing in their favor.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rich D » Jun Mon 12, 2017 5:31 am

I love the pike sighting. Used to spend a great deal of time on the lakefront a few years back, and never contacted one. Aux, that would be amazing if it happened.
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby Brandon » Jun Wed 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Nice Rockies. Haven't caught any in a couple years. Used to be great rock bass fishing in the north shore channel on the Chi river. Could sit in one place and catch bluegill, pumpkinseed, green sunfish, crappie and rock bass all day long.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Jun Wed 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Forget about the smallmouth. Theres going to be some epic pike catches from the big pond in the up coming decade. The lake habitat has been changing in their favor.

I lost one last fall that would have been the biggest fish of my life by far. I may dedicate a trip or two to throwing bucktails or big glide-baits etc. out there on the muskie gear.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Jun Sat 17, 2017 10:37 am

Didn't feel like lugging muskie gear last night so I went back with a jig and grub on an ultralight. Saw some perch but couldn't get them to bite. The rock bass we're more cooperative, and I ended up giving a fishing lesson to people who were passing by.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Jun Sat 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I went back again today, this time I tied less space between the weight and hook to keep it lower in the water, and tried something more goby-like. Couple smallies came to investigate but no takers. I have been using 14 lb. Fireline so far and I'm wondering if fluoro would make a difference. After a while I switched to the worms I had been using prior and caught a couple quick rocks to shake the skunk. Then I tied on a hard body swim-bait. Had a blow up working it like a wakebait but he missed, had another hit kind of yo-yoing accross the top of some weeds but didn't hook it. No pics of the rock bass because they look remarkably similar to the ones above. Also, a couple of guys were slaying perch at the south end of the harbor, before the breaker walls. Mostly steak fry sized fish I was surprised to see them keep, but they pulled up a nice sized one too in the short time I watched them. They were using some sort of bottom fishing rig and had cartons of what I'm assuming were soft shells.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby ChiCityYaker » Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Brett wrote:I went back again today, this time I tied less space between the weight and hook to keep it lower in the water, and tried something more goby-like. Couple smallies came to investigate but no takers. I have been using 14 lb. Fireline so far and I'm wondering if fluoro would make a difference. After a while I switched to the worms I had been using prior and caught a couple quick rocks to shake the skunk. Then I tied on a hard body swim-bait. Had a blow up working it like a wakebait but he missed, had another hit kind of yo-yoing accross the top of some weeds but didn't hook it. No pics of the rock bass because they look remarkably similar to the ones above. Also, a couple of guys were slaying perch at the south end of the harbor, before the breaker walls. Mostly steak fry sized fish I was surprised to see them keep, but they pulled up a nice sized one too in the short time I watched them. They were using some sort of bottom fishing rig and had cartons of what I'm assuming were soft shells.

Hey man, just to help you out...you can fish the braid but tie on a 6-8lb floro leader, yes it will get you more bites! Those fish have great vision in the clear water. Makes a significant difference. Try a finesse jig (2.5" total length including trailer...at most 3") and slowly drag it.....and when I say slowly...I mean, if you think you're going slow...go slower lol Probably the best pattern to run for summer smallies now.
Add me on social media
http://www.Instagram.com/ChiCityYaker
http://www.Twitter.com/ChiCityYaker
http://www.Facebook.com/ChiCityYaker

Subscribe to see all of my vids, reviews, tips, and vlogs
http://www.YouTube.com/ChiCityYaker
ChiCityYaker
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Jun Tue 20, 2017 8:06 am

ChiCityYaker wrote:Hey man, just to help you out...you can fish the braid but tie on a 6-8lb floro leader, yes it will get you more bites! Those fish have great vision in the clear water. Makes a significant difference. Try a finesse jig (2.5" total length including trailer...at most 3") and slowly drag it.....and when I say slowly...I mean, if you think you're going slow...go slower lol Probably the best pattern to run for summer smallies now.

Thanks man, I've been figuring that would help, that water is much clearer than the other spots I fish. I'm thinking Invisix or Abrasix, what would you use?
Brett
Fishing Czar

Return to Lake Michigan