Lake County Forest Preserve Lakes

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Lake County Forest Preserve Lakes

Postby Darkstar72 » Dec Tue 13, 2016 3:36 pm

So since we're gearing up for ice and since I now live a stone's throw from Lake County I've been looking at the Lake County Forest Preserve site and their regs about fishing their lakes.

Can anyone who ice fishes Lake County tell me if:

Any of the lakes they allow fishing at are worth fishing at?
What's up with the 6" auger limit? Is it enforced?
Do they have a "flag" system for letting the safe and unsafe alike to know when they feel their ice is safe to fish?
Anything else peeps want to throw in will help me determine whether I get a 6" blade for my ION auger, or if I should bother with Lake?

Thanks! I can tell you all from my DuPage FPD experiences you pretty much stay away from the FPD lakes due to over-harvest mainly. Over-pressured waters also make fishing 'em not that much fun.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Re: Lake County Forest Preserve Lakes

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Tue 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes the lakes are worth it. I use an 8inch, never been checked for auger size and I think the 6" rule is almost everywhere. No flag system, but there is a hotline #. Or just go fishing till they come out and tell you to leave, been there done that. Gets weird before spring when some lakes have 8inches and others a slushy 3inches, then they shut it down completely. Then repeat step #1 and go fishing till they tell you to leave.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bigo100 » Dec Tue 13, 2016 5:08 pm

I personally have just gotten back into ice fishing for the first time since I was 5 so this year is gonna be the first in nine years of going but, living just a bike ride away from independence grove, I think it is worth it. Never gone ice fishing there but, I fish there a lot. As you may already probably know, Independence Grove has the full deal. They only allow ice fishing in the south bay though but since you aren't allowed to fish that bay in any of the other months there will be a good amount of fish in that small protected area. Also, IG is definitely not too easy to fish and not to hard to fish as well.
bigo100
Minnow

Postby DasGoby » Dec Tue 13, 2016 5:17 pm

I thought Independence Grove and Banana Lake had flag systems for safe ice.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Dec Tue 13, 2016 6:14 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Yes the lakes are worth it. I use an 8inch, never been checked for auger size and I think the 6" rule is almost everywhere. No flag system, but there is a hotline #. Or just go fishing till they come out and tell you to leave, been there done that. Gets weird before spring when some lakes have 8inches and others a slushy 3inches, then they shut it down completely. Then repeat step #1 and go fishing till they tell you to leave.

NICE! Glad to hear that, Aux!

I'll have to find that hotline as I'd imagine me spudding the lakes wouldn't go over well. :moresarcasm:
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Dec Tue 13, 2016 7:18 pm

6" auger! What type of communist, weirdo rule is that? The pinheads permeate everything. But I do have a backup 6" Nils. :moresarcasm:
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby LZ Rascal » Dec Tue 13, 2016 7:29 pm

The only lakes in Lake County where ice fishing is allowed when posted as open is Banana Lake in Lakewood FP), as noted IG South Bay and Sterling Lake. I tried Banana once, but nada. Also, it may take some time for them to designate the lakes as open to fishing. I think they much error in the safe side and wait for more inches. You'll notice Cook just posts fish at own risk and recommends 4 inches as minimum safe ice.
LZ Rascal
Fishing Fanatic

Postby junglejim » Dec Wed 14, 2016 9:40 am

I think Independence Grove is catch and release even for ice fishing !
junglejim
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Wed 14, 2016 10:39 am

Darkstar72 wrote:So since we're gearing up for ice

Speak for yourself. I just don't get fishing on solid water. Years ago a buddy lived in the coach house behind a mansion on Green Lake WI. Went up one winter to go cross-country skiing. We skied out on the lake & there were lots of folks fishing from their Cadillacs. No kidding. They sat in their HUGE cars (this was in the 70s) with the engines running & windows down a crack, fishing pole in hand and line running down through the ice.

Always wondered if any of them ever went through.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Dec Wed 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Rambler wrote:I just don't get fishing on solid water.
Rambler, give it a try Basscaster hosts a nice event at his lake house and other WCF events. Ice fishing is more of a social outing and folks are generally willing to let you bum a jigging rod or pull a few flags. Of course you need serious winter boots and clothing, etc... For 20 years I held off on ice fishing and now I really enjoy it. The key thing is to sweet talk one of your ice fishing buddies to take you ice fishing vs. spending $ on more crap.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Wed 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Busse all frozen with a white blanket fresh powder in the trees is more beautiful than it is any other season in my opinion. Nothing better than having the woods or the lake to yourself. Maybe it is the hush, the peacefull quietness of it all you don't get often in the loud buzzing of nature in the warm summer months. Maybe it's the over stuffed fish that are often most colorful and most robust early winter. I don't know actually what it is, those are merely guesses. Maybe more seasoned ice anglers could chime in.

Rambler, what I am getting at is, hardwater is something you relate to more than you think.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Dec Wed 14, 2016 4:33 pm

LZ Rascal wrote:The only lakes in Lake County where ice fishing is allowed when posted as open is Banana Lake in Lakewood FP), as noted IG South Bay and Sterling Lake. I tried Banana once, but nada. Also, it may take some time for them to designate the lakes as open to fishing. I think they much error in the safe side and wait for more inches. You'll notice Cook just posts fish at own risk and recommends 4 inches as minimum safe ice.

For everyone's benifit I'll post what is on Lake County's FPD page about it.

http://www.lcfpd.org/winter-recreation/

Ice Fishing

When conditions allow, ice fishing is available at Banana Lake at Lakewood, Sterling Lake at Van Patten Woods, and the South Bay at Independence Grove. A 4.5-inch layer of ice is required for ice fishing. Shanties and shelters are permitted for day use, only two poles are allowed, and holes must be drilled six inches or smaller. All other fishing regulations apply. Independence Grove is open daily from 6:30 am to sunset for ice fishing. Van Patten Woods is open weekdays from 6:30 am until one hour past sunset for ice fishing, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 6:30 am to sunset. All state of Illinois fishing regulations and licenses apply.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Darkstar72 » Dec Wed 14, 2016 4:43 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Busse all frozen with a white blanket fresh powder in the trees is more beautiful than it is any other season in my opinion. Nothing better than having the woods or the lake to yourself. Maybe it is the hush, the peacefull quietness of it all you don't get often in the loud buzzing of nature in the warm summer months. Maybe it's the over stuffed fish that are often most colorful and most robust early winter. I don't know actually what it is, those are merely guesses. Maybe more seasoned ice anglers could chime in.

Rambler, what I am getting at is, hardwater is something you relate to more than you think.

I'm down to fish it with ya if you go, Aux.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Dec Wed 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Ice fishing is incomparable to open water fishing. If you like cold and snow and being outdoors then trudging around and popping holes, scanning around at your tip-ups, or sitting over a hole with a rod is fun. Getting real cold? Go drill some more holes or move another 1/2 mile away.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Dec Thu 15, 2016 9:46 am

Skifish1 wrote:Ice fishing is incomparable to open water fishing. If you like cold and snow and being outdoors then trudging around and popping holes, scanning around at your tip-ups, or sitting over a hole with a rod is fun. Getting real cold? Go drill some more holes or move another 1/2 mile away.

Agreed! Or find a nice weed line in a good spot, drill five holes close to each other, flip the shelter over the boat seats, snow in the outside skirt, then turn on the Mr. Heater. :-)

I'm fine all dressed for the weather popping and flashing holes, but I prefer to take my coat off in the shelter and keep my beverage cold on the ice. I'm not a flag-chaser; don't want to get my hands wet in the cold.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Thu 15, 2016 9:56 am

catchafew wrote:Rambler, give it a try Basscaster hosts a nice event at his lake house and other WCF events. Ice fishing is more of a social outing and folks are generally willing to let you bum a jigging rod or pull a few flags. Of course you need serious winter boots and clothing, etc... For 20 years I held off on ice fishing and now I really enjoy it. The key thing is to sweet talk one of your ice fishing buddies to take you ice fishing vs. spending $ on more crap.

Thanks for the invite Darkstar - I'll give it some thought. Let me know when you guys are going. I may not actually want to participate in fishing but it might be interesting to see what goes on - at least until my old bones start to freeze over.

As for gear, as a former Bears season ticket holder I have pack boots, snow mobile outfit, balaclava, etc, etc all acquired in the attempt to find 'comfort' while watching our boys lose to the Pack, Falcons, etc. on the last day of the season back in the truly miserable old days of the 70s. Took me a couple years to figure out the appropriate dress. Still have it all packed away somewhere - don't tell my wife! :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bigboi932 » Dec Thu 15, 2016 3:39 pm

There's a real good lake on 120 right behind morain hills it's a heck of a walk but totally worth it
bigboi932
Minnow

Postby coyote » Dec Thu 15, 2016 4:09 pm

In Illinois Game and Fish magazine. Sterling and Indy Grove our their picks for 2 of the top ice fishing Lakes this year with the Chain and Shabbona right behind them.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UFCreel » Dec Sun 18, 2016 12:52 pm

That gravel pit behind Moraine Hills is Posted No Trespassing.
UFCreel
Minnow

Postby bigboi932 » Dec Mon 19, 2016 8:51 am

Yeah totally worth it if your willing to take a chance
bigboi932
Minnow

Postby Rambler » Dec Mon 19, 2016 9:02 am

There used to be some nice lakes in the northern section of Moraine Hills - I think they were actually called "The Northern Lakes". Unfortunately they were fed from a quarry just outside the park and the quarry operator decided to shut off the water source.

The lakes dried up. Really too bad - there were some nice bass in there. :(
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Dec Mon 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Rambler wrote:There used to be some nice lakes in the northern section of Moraine Hills - I think they were actually called "The Northern Lakes". Unfortunately they were fed from a quarry just outside the park and the quarry operator decided to shut off the water source.

The lakes dried up. Really too bad - there were some nice bass in there. :(

Yes several lakes, I fished them all even the more challenging ones to get around. Years ago of course....
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UFCreel » Apr Thu 20, 2017 8:03 am

The quarry hit the aquifer causing the lakes to dry up.
UFCreel
Minnow

Return to Ice Fishing