watch your back

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Re: watch your back

Postby Darkstar72 » Feb Tue 21, 2017 3:04 pm

busse bass man wrote:I did have my jointed hard swimbait on at that point. Nice size with 3 trebles. Would've probably done some damage

Yeah, but would you WANT to lip the guy to get the hooks out and return him to the water? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Rich D » Feb Tue 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Rambler, the guy I'm thinking of lived in a little squatter's settlement on the East side of the river, right off of Lake street up between the road underpass and the railway trestle. Honestly, I never got a good look at him - just a quick glimpse sneaking off into the woods like sasquatch.
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Feb Wed 22, 2017 9:10 am

Might have been the hermit. He might have relocated after he spooked a bunch of kids from Dominican who were partying north of the tracks in River Forest.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SnagBros » Feb Thu 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Wow, good thing you at least had a knife. Concealed carry brother...concealed carry...stay safe everyone, cheers.
I have a Orange Ride kayak and I am usually fly fishing at Beck, Busse, or DPR. If you ever see me come say hello, I love meeting new people in the fishing world. Tight lines!

Follow @zmfishingmw on Instagram
SnagBros
Pan Fish

Postby tmanana » Feb Thu 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Somewhat related story - this weekend I was fishing on a city pier on the north side and a guy there told me earlier a lady ran up and threw in a handful of rods screaming "leave the fish alone", scurrying off before anyone could catch her. Luckily they were able to retrieve the rods by hooking them with the one rod that survived the onslaught.

Apparently she was wearing Lululemons and looked like a typical runner (not some crazy person). So you never know - always be on the lookout!
tmanana
Minnow

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Thu 23, 2017 7:19 pm

tmanana wrote:Somewhat related story - this weekend I was fishing on a city pier on the north side and a guy there told me earlier a lady ran up and threw in a handful of rods screaming "leave the fish alone", scurrying off before anyone could catch her. Luckily they were able to retrieve the rods by hooking them with the one rod that survived the onslaught.

Apparently she was wearing Lululemons and looked like a typical runner (not some crazy person). So you never know - always be on the lookout!

It would be shitty to have my rods chucked into the drink... but god is that funny! LEAVE THE FISH ALONE!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Feb Thu 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Oh man. The DPR and North side piers will be two of my prime locations this year. Should be interesting.
Brett
Fishing Czar

Postby EAS » Feb Thu 23, 2017 8:22 pm

All of the above is some creepy-ass shit.

I don't recall any run-ins like that around the Fox or Dupe. Probably the "weirdest" thing I see with quite a bit of regularity on the Fox is people hooking up to cheat on their lunch hour. It's so friggin' blatant, and quite sad. Lots and lots and lots of cheaters out there. Ridiculous.
Eric
~ Fish happens.

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- BSG
EAS
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tmanana » Feb Fri 24, 2017 10:22 am

EAS wrote:All of the above is some creepy-ass shit.

I don't recall any run-ins like that around the Fox or Dupe. Probably the "weirdest" thing I see with quite a bit of regularity on the Fox is people hooking up to cheat on their lunch hour. It's so friggin' blatant, and quite sad. Lots and lots and lots of cheaters out there. Ridiculous.

As a kid I volunteered at a state park. I was always so surprised about the amount of guys going off path to "explore". Little did I know......
tmanana
Minnow

Postby tmanana » Feb Fri 24, 2017 10:24 am

Brett wrote:Oh man. The DPR and North side piers will be two of my prime locations this year. Should be interesting.

This was at the Loyola Beach Lighthouse. Hopefully it's an isolated incident!
tmanana
Minnow

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 24, 2017 10:39 am

tmanana wrote:This was at the Loyola Beach Lighthouse. Hopefully it's an isolated incident!

OK - here's another "old fart" story from back in the day. I life guarded at Loyola Park Beach in the late 60s - early 70s. At the end of one summer, on a cold, blustery day I was assigned to the beach just North of the Farewell pier (where the "lighthouse" is). There was - and I'm not making this up - a woman in a witches outfit with a bunch of little kids running up & down the pier.

It was a really bad day weather-wise. BIG waves crashing over the pier. I was afraid a kid would get washed away so I ran out there & started getting them all off. She tried to stop me! Not much I could do about her - I couldn't legally pick her up & carry her off - so I got the kids off the pier. She kept screaming about how they were free to do whatever they wanted to. I told her they weren't free to get killed on public property but (due to the fact that she was clearly bonkers) she didn't get it.

There are creeps in the woods and wackos everywhere you look. I'll resist the temptation to make a political observation here.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fonzie » Feb Fri 24, 2017 1:52 pm

EAS wrote:I don't recall any run-ins like that around the Fox or Dupe. Probably the "weirdest" thing I see with quite a bit of regularity on the Fox is people hooking up to cheat on their lunch hour. It's so friggin' blatant, and quite sad. Lots and lots and lots of cheaters out there. Ridiculous.

How do you know for sure that people are cheating ? It could be that some couples are having a "nooner" :D on their lunchbreak...

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby Mr36inch » Mar Sun 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Lift weights eat protein and hit the punching bag. If any one creeps on me I'm leaving em where I find em. Plus a backpack and a 7 ft rod make a good sword and shield. I do keep a 6 inch dagger in my bag just in case. Imho though a stray pit bull or Rottweiler would be the ultimate threat.
Mr36inch
Minnow

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sun 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Mr36inch wrote: Imho though a stray pit bull or Rottweiler would be the ultimate threat.

Na Pits are big babies
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sun 19, 2017 6:11 pm

The only attacking he does is for a piece of cheese
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Mr36inch » Mar Sun 19, 2017 6:27 pm

I agree. What would be the worst though is a rabid coyote, Guy on bath salts, Or accidently cock blocking a 10 point buck during deer season.
Mr36inch
Minnow

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sun 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Mr36inch wrote:I agree. What would be the worst though is a rabid coyote, Guy on bath salts, Or accidently cock blocking a 10 point buck during deer season.

:lol:
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Michalski » Apr Wed 05, 2017 5:49 pm

After reading this, I might have to change my DPR pike plans for 2017.
Michalski

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 05, 2017 6:20 pm

It's not really all that bad. You just need to keep you eyes open. And the fishing can be really good.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby busse bass man » Apr Fri 07, 2017 12:28 am

Michalski wrote:After reading this, I might have to change my DPR pike plans for 2017.

Like Rambler said, it's really not bad. I've encountered some weird stuff but that was the only time I felt I was going to have to defend nyself. With all the crazy people out there, something can occur anywhere. No matter where you go, just be aware of your surroundings so you're not caught completely off guard.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Fri 07, 2017 7:15 am

Mr36inch wrote:What would be the worst though is a rabid coyote,

Reminds me of the time I was charged by what I think was a rabid woodchuck - no kidding. I was hiking at Devils Lake & it came waddling down the trail at me snarling. Really freaked me out. I picked up rocks & started throwing them at it. Finally hit it right in the head & it took off.

You never know what can happen out there...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Fri 07, 2017 9:25 am

mkg076 wrote:when I do fish from shore I stick to Lake County where CCW is allowed...

You sure they allow? I fish Old School and Wright Woods after work and I've read their signs say no firearms, and their outhouses have the no weapons stickers on em (I certainly assume that they don't expect you to leave your weapon outside of the outhouse lol). If that's the case though I'll start carrying in Lake County forests.
1*
Woohoodude11
Minnow

Postby joetrain » Apr Fri 07, 2017 9:52 am

Cook and Lake County are no carry in the forest preserve. Will County allows it.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Sat 08, 2017 6:58 am

Snapped this yesterday at Wright. Be careful, hate to see a fellow 2A guy get pinched for carrying protection.

1*
Woohoodude11
Minnow

Postby mikescooling » Jun Fri 02, 2017 8:19 am

RonG wrote:I'd guess he was probably just a horny peeping Tom and was looking for guys stripping down and washing themselves in the river. Image

My friends wife told me about this, and it's creeped me out ever scene. It makes me mad and sad that the CCFP has turned in to this.
mikescooling

Postby Steve » Jun Fri 16, 2017 8:48 am

Last year about this time I took to fishing really early. I was out before 6am and back home by 6:30ish. On three occasions I saw the same old man jog down the trail completely naked. Only running shoes and his shorts in his hands.
Once I was yakking early as well and along the path I could see him again, jogging flopping all over the place.

he would put his shorts on just before coming to the parking lot and then head South on Thatcher towards River Forest out of Evans.

Caught him once just coming out of the woods running down Thatcher.

http://imgur.com/a/rTrah
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » Jun Thu 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Wait....older gentleman...River Forest.

Ahem....Rambler? :lol:
Rich D
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Fri 23, 2017 7:51 am

Rich D wrote:Wait....older gentleman...River Forest.

Ahem....Rambler? :lol:

Hey - shhh! If they find out they'll come and get me and that'll be the end of my witticisms here on WCF!

And who you callin' a 'gentleman'?
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Previous

Return to Des Plaines River