First half of June - slowing down?

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

First half of June - slowing down?

Postby SmallieSavant » Jun Sun 18, 2017 9:21 pm

It's funny that my best day on the Dupe this year occurred in February. This is not what conventional fishing wisdom would make us expect, but that's the way it has gone down this year. Since then, I've had some decent days, mostly wherein quality would exceed quantity. I pulled some nice ones and a couple PIGs out during prespawn, but as we've come into the summertime, it seems the action is slowing down. I've managed to evade the skunk on most outings, but size and numbers are both dwindling. Not quite Dinksville, but the slabs of the springtime have been hard to find.

Nothing really new to report. Current breaks with no lure in particular seeming to be favored. The "Algae" is in full swing.

Here are a couple from recent outings.

June DuPage.jpg

I usually migrate to the Fox this time of year, but wanted to know if others have done well on the Dupe in the summer time. I mostly fish the branches, but would be interested to hear if others have any luck on the main stem. Also - what lures do you guys use this time of year?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nightcrawlers are the king of all worms.
SmallieSavant
Fishing Fanatic

Re: First half of June - slowing down?

Postby mike son » Jun Sun 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Could be the post spawn funk, fish aren't biting. I too do the best for size during the first warm spell of the year up until the spawn. However, I do like fishing the dupe when it's summer, clear and low. I'd use finesse though during that time. For me it's usually a 1/8oz texas rigged chigger craw, 3in paddle tail swimbait on 1/8-1/4oz jig head, or a weightless fluke on one rod and a topwater on the other. I'll target shady areas with rock and depth, fast water, current seams, deeper pools. I'll use something with rattles like a squarebill or a 1/4 red eye shad or of course topwater if the river is up and dirty from a recent rain.

I was actually out on the west branch today for 1.5hrs in the early evening. Chocolate milk but not too much floating weeds on the surface. Only carried one rod and one lure, a whopper plopper 90. Got two smallies both about 12", kept thinking I'd have done a lil better if I had a squarebill or red eye shad tied on but topwater is life haha.
mike son
Pan Fish

Postby SmallieSavant » Jun Mon 19, 2017 12:02 pm

mike son wrote:I'd use finesse though during that time. For me it's usually a 1/8oz texas rigged chigger craw, 3in paddle tail swimbait on 1/8-1/4oz jig head, or a weightless fluke on one rod and a topwater on the other. I'll target shady areas with rock and depth, fast water, current seams, deeper pools. I'll use something with rattles like a squarebill or a 1/4 red eye shad or of course topwater if the river is up and dirty from a recent rain.

mike son wrote: but topwater is life

Good call, Mike - I'm gonna dial down the weight size this summer and give the flukes a try. I'm looking forward to when it gets low and slow and is more wadeable - even though I have come to appreciate the post-rain conditions. I know JMDog always talked about after the rains being a favorite time for him.
Nightcrawlers are the king of all worms.
SmallieSavant
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Jay Teste » Jun Wed 21, 2017 10:56 am

Nice fish still. I didn't have the chance to fish mush this spring due to work and family activities. Probably heading to DP west branch this coming Aug-Sep or sporadically during summer time.
Jay Teste
Minnow

Postby EAS » Jun Wed 21, 2017 11:07 am

5" double-tail hula grub on a 1/8-ounce Slider Head ... or topwater through the lanes of the eel grass. Kayak and cover a lot of water early or late. You'll find areas that are gold mines and areas that are junk water to skip. Wading doesn't provide too accurate a picture of the fishing conditions, IMHO, 'cause it's slow and very limited.
Eric
~ Fish happens.

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- BSG
EAS
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River