After the storm

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

After the storm

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Just got back from my mid-day walk in the woods.

It's pretty muddy so I went over by a wetland where the banks are made of permeable soil - good drainage and less muddy.

The May Apples, Trout Lillies, Wake Robin Trillium and Cutleaf Toothwarts are all coming up. The Toothwarts already have flower buds. Unfortunately the Garlic Mustards are coming up too.

I watched a pair of Nuthatches for a while. They were clearly checking out possibilities for a nesting site. The male kept flying off and catching bugs. He'd bring them back to share with his mate - what a romantic. A pair of Mallards were cruising the wetland - they'll be setting up housekeeping soon too. I heard Wood Ducks in the distance. I bought a carving of a female Woodie at the Kane Cty Flea Market on Sunday to add to my collection. My wife says it's the last one I can have. Too much of a good thing I guess.

Spotted a Canada goose doing something I've never seen before. It was perched at the top of a dead tree that was broken off. It kept putting its head down into the trunk. Not sure if it was drinking - why would it go all the way up there when the tree was standing in water? - or eating something from inside.

It reminded me of a male Mallard I saw last year at this time. He kept flying up into a big hole on the side of a stump. After a while he'd come out, fly off for a while and then come back, land in the water the stump was standing in and then fly up into the hole. Is this how Wood Ducks evolved?

Spring is here regardless of what some may think.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: After the storm

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Thu 06, 2017 12:41 pm

may apples...my favorite fungi can't be too far behind
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Apr Thu 06, 2017 1:05 pm

All hail Cheryl Scott! She got us through another storm and saved Chicago once again.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Thu 06, 2017 4:18 pm

RonG wrote:All hail Cheryl Scott! She got us through another storm and saved Chicago once again.

What was she wearing :wink:

Anyone else notice Jerry Taft took a trip to lobotomy island? Man he's as spry as the last pope..
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Apr Thu 06, 2017 4:32 pm

RonG wrote:All hail Cheryl Scott! She got us through another storm and saved Chicago once again.

Yeah it was touch and go today. I love the way any kind of out of the normal weather is now equal to the apocalypse.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Fri 07, 2017 7:17 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Anyone else notice Jerry Taft took a trip to lobotomy island? Man he's as spry as the last pope..

"Rode hard & put to bed wet" I'd say. But then again, he ain't no Spring chicken. And he smokes like a chimney.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Apr Fri 07, 2017 8:19 am

:)
Rambler wrote:Rode hard & put to bed wet" I'd say. But then again, he ain't no Spring chicken. And he smokes like a chimney.
That will do it, glad I quit smoking years ago, other wise I might look like that. :)
tacklebox
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Apr Fri 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Some may object to me talking again about the 'old days' but here goes.

The late, great John Husar wrote a column once where he wondered why so many outdoorsmen smoke. He said it didn't make sense to go thru all sorts of stuff trying to be stealthy (camo, scent blockers, etc.) & then light up in your tree stand. This was back in the day when just about everybody smoked.

I think he was an ex-smoker & gave up when his hepatitis was 1st diagnosed (it's what finally killed him).

I admit to enjoying a cigar once in a while while I'm sitting by a campfire or trying to hook something but it's pretty clear if you really make a habit of it it will eventually f you up.

Regardless, Taft is an excellent TV weatherman. Ms. Scott is pretty good too although much easier to look at. Must be really difficult going thru life looking like that. :wink:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More