Going Native

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Going Native

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 17, 2017 10:12 am

Took my woodland stroll early today in an attempt to dodge the rain & heat.

There's so much going on with native plants. Here are a few observations.

The Joe Pye weeds (AKA Queen of the Meadow) are just getting ready to begin their blooming process. Joe Pye's are among my favorites - not just because of the beauty of their flowers but because of their name. Joe Pye was a native medicine man in Ohio in the early days of European settlement. He made a 'cure all' from the plant that now bears his name. In those days cure alls were potent laxatives. I guess they figured if it didn't make you shit yourself to death it would cure whatever ailed you. Never could figure out how they got the 'Queen of the Meadow' moniker. They mostly grow in shady areas.

The sedges have bloomed. I suspect most folks think sedges are grass. They aren't. They're forbs (family of flowering plants) that happen to have really un-flowery flowers. They love moist low areas and the borders of wetlands.

The wild onions are going to seed. Really important plant if for no other reason than Chicago is named for them.

Happy Father's Day to all fathers and to all future fathers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Going Native

Postby threeats407 » Jun Sat 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Informative. Thanks.
threeats407
Game Fish

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More