Paddle tether

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Paddle tether

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 11, 2017 10:57 am

Does anyone use a paddle tether? If so, what kind? Do you find it helpful or does it get in the way of fishing?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Paddle tether

Postby bassman29 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 11:26 am

I always use 1. Just a basic 1 from cabelas. Allows me to not worry about the paddle floating away when focusing on landing a fish especially if rod is in 1 hand and net in the other. I tether to inside of yak
odds are your catch was someones release...pay it forward
for homemade plastics please see link for pricing. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65154&p=661586#p661586
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Tue 11, 2017 11:36 am

I made one once. Always in my way so I never use it. Although, one must consider what they would do if they are miles from shore on Lake Michigan or on a fast moving river and they lose their paddle. As an alternative to a tether, I keep a spare paddle inside my kayak.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JasonN » Apr Tue 11, 2017 11:43 am

Yeah i've had two of them and wound up not using them after 1 or 2 uses. They just get in the way. What I really like to use is YakAttack track mount paddle holder. Lets my place the paddle across the kayak and sets right in place. Very helpful.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/19069/YakAttack-Track-Mount-Paddle-Holder.html
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby charliebravo77 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 11:44 am

I always have my paddle tethered, never know when you might flip, drop it, etc. If I lost my paddle Sunday on the Des Plaines I'd have been in real trouble with as strong as the current was. This is the one I use http://amzn.to/2ow0d1K
charliebravo77

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 11, 2017 11:51 am

So what I'm getting here is a solid "maybe". :D I've also been considering those plastic paddle holders you mount on opposite sides of the boat. You can drop your paddle in them while fishing & they keep it from moving around. Have to make sure I can do it in a way that doesn't interfere when the boat's on top of the car.

Thanks for the info.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 12:54 pm

I have this thing. I figure if I ever lost mine on the DPR it's all I'd ever need to catch up with it. As fast as that river flows now with the dams gone I don't know that you could make your way back upstream with this though.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/pr ... lor=Yellow
threeats407
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Apr Tue 11, 2017 1:16 pm

I carry a spare paddle so no tether for me.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 11, 2017 1:39 pm

joetrain wrote:I carry a spare paddle so no tether for me.

Yeah - that's probably the most logical thing to do. I've got 3 - 4 extra paddles so it's another (and cheap) option.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Tue 11, 2017 1:49 pm

threeats407 wrote:I have this thing. I figure if I ever lost mine on the DPR it's all I'd ever need to catch up with it. As fast as that river flows now with the dams gone I don't know that you could make your way back upstream with this though.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/pr ... lor=Yellow

Similar to mine. For only $15, it would be dumb to hit the water without a spare. You have to put some forethought in safety issues and "what ifs". I did a "what if" and imagined myself out on Lake Michigan after losing a paddle and visualized what it would be like battling the wind and trying to paddle back to shore with my bare hands. :shock: It was enough to make me always carry a spare. Tether, shmether.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Ron - good points. But I doubt I'll ever be out on Lake MI. Years ago my wife & I started out with our 2 kids in an old Sears canoe to paddle from Copper Harbor, MI to the light house on the peninsula. Everything was fine until we got outside the harbor mouth. Then things started to rock & roll. I quickly turned us around & headed back in.

Unless I'm in a sea kayak I don't see repeating anything like that. But I think I'll start carrying an extra paddle - there's plenty of room for it.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Tue 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Rambler wrote:But I think I'll start carrying an extra paddle

:thumbup:

One should envision themselves anywhere they might lose their paddle and consider a spare. I also envision myself with a hook in my eyeball and take precautions daytime and nightime for that. End cutters for the deep hooking in the hand that could prevent one from paddling. I could go on typing for a half hour longer on this subject...

If something out there ever causes my demise or something worse to happen, it's going to be the fault of some freak incident or other boater, but nothing that I've done out of stupidness.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bassman29 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Not sure if it's where I have it tethered but it's never gotten in the way. But like 99.99999% of things discussed here it comes down to preference.
Another thing I have is the cushion paddle grips. Have them spread about same distance as yak walls. Adds a little more stay put to the paddle as well as keeping my delicate hands silky smooth.

That being said.....ron shmon
for homemade plastics please see link for pricing. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65154&p=661586#p661586
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 11, 2017 2:15 pm

RonG wrote:One should envision themselves anywhere they might lose their paddle and consider a spare. I also envision myself with a hook in my eyeball and take precautions daytime and nightime for that. End cutters for the deep hooking in the hand that could prevent one from paddling. I could go on typing for a half hour longer on this subject..

You must have been a Boy Scout. Fact is when I go canoeing with someone else (usually my best friend) I always pack an extra paddle. For some reason (we can chalk it up to doddering old age foolishness) when I go alone I don't.

My solo setup is a bit unique. It's not a kayak - it's a 12' Old Town canoe. It's really old - at least 40 years - and the seat is in the wrong place for solo paddling unless you have a big load up front.

So I put a folding sand chair in it & use a kayak paddle. Works great. But again, haven't been taking an extra paddle. Probably pretty stupid. :roll:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 2:30 pm

For big water I can see tethers for gear. There's a southsider on Facebook in kayak fishing groups. He's a Marine (reserves I think as he's getting called back to duty) but he started yak fishing not far out but in 20 or so feet of water when he dumped his yak. All his rods and gear went to the bottom.

The good thing is he knew where he was, wasn't too far from shore, and owned a mask and snorkel so he went back the next day and dove to retrieve all his stuff.

When (it'll happen...eventually) I get my 14' Hobie rigged up I'll have to buy/make tethers for my mirage drive (easily half the cost of that boat), and rods at the very least.

Might even tether the paddle in its holder so it stays with the boat incase of a bad dump in deeper water than I could free-dive to reclaim my stuff.

Worst case in that scenario would be me in a big, yellow PA with no peddles, paddle, or anything to get me back to shore at the mercy of the current. Not a situation I want to find myself in.

Extreme, yes but think about yak fishing a quarry. I'd be sad if I lost my stuff because I didn't tether it. Just my thoughts but I can see the other side; I took my commercial paddle tether off of my 10' Lifetime (starter yak) because it annoyed me when I paddled. With the PA I don't have that problem.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Apr Tue 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Once while out on a very windy day at Beck Lake my paddle flew off my lap. In short order it was out away from me and drifting further and further out of reach. If I did not have a spare with me I would have been at the mercy of the wind to carry me to shore. Bottom line ,carry a spare.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Tue 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Not practical for my needs. If I leashed on and it were to say to fall in, if I didn't grab it before it sank then it would just be ripped off via water weight or current. Hopefully the leash would break, not a chunk of plastic from the kayak. Or worse get caught on something and just flip the yak. Brings me back to grabbing it before it sank, I do that a lot. Even tossed my paddle to the side to net a charging fish once. Don't know if my paddle sinks, but if it does it takes more than a minute.

Not to mention it would totally be annoying and in the way.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Skifish1 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 7:17 pm

I've used them on angry lake Michigan but even stopped that. Now I just use them to connect to my grip. Spare collapsible paddle when on Lake Michigan stashed internal to my hull. Paddles float for awhile anyways.

Don't give it much thought you are better off carrying medical kit, some quick set marine epoxy to patch holes, spare clothes in cold weather etc on epic trips. Local urban yuppie outings a tether is laughable.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bassman29 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Skifish1 wrote: Local urban yuppie outings a tether is laughable.

Disagree.

Do I think my paddle is going to mimic Wilson in castaway and just float into the sunset? No. However, if a 5 buck piece of elastic that doesn't get in my way allows me to not give losing my paddle a second thought then I say it's worth it.
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 12, 2017 8:35 am

I've deep sixed the tether idea. But in addition to carrying an extra paddle I'm going to mount a pair of pole holders. That way I'll be able to put the paddle down & keep it from rolling around while I fish.

For the record I always lash down my gear - tackle box, waterproof bag, water bottle, etc. so it stays with the canoe in case I flip.

Speaking of flipping here's another piece of gear that can literally be a life saver. Keep a BIC lighter in your pocket. This saved my best friend's life once in AK. He was canoeing a river with a buddy & they flipped in rapids. Everything got soaked & they were way in the bush. With the lighter he got a fire going & avoided hypothermia.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SavnOne » Apr Mon 24, 2017 5:15 pm

I use a leash more for my fishing net than for my paddle. I've lost 2 nets in the past and so I've learned my lesson. I typically only fish ponds so I'm not too concerned about my paddle floating away (though I do have a hand paddle if I should ever need it to retrieve my paddle). I made my own leashes after watching this YouTube video. My 7" diy leash stretches out past 6 feet and then recoils without an issue back to it's 7". See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZ-YZFS-us
><> Christians aren't perfect, just FORGIVEN!!! <><
SavnOne
Pan Fish

Return to Kayaking