kayak flush mount rod holder install?

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

kayak flush mount rod holder install?

Postby Rory_B_Bellows » Jun Tue 13, 2017 7:04 am

I picked up a couple cheap flush mount rod holders to install on my yak, they came with screws that aren't going to work on plastic. Question is, most reviewers of this brand say they just get some shoemrt wood screws to mount them, but I'm wondering if I should go get a cheap pop rivet kit to mount them with. You guys with more experience modding yaks- any suggestions? Some short screws would be easy and cheap, but would they secure solidly enough?
Rory_B_Bellows
Game Fish

Re: kayak flush mount rod holder install?

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Tue 13, 2017 7:30 am

If I can reach in the hull I usually get stainless steel screws and nuts. I always use construction adhesive or bathroom silicon and load it up on every moD to seal the mod up and add more adhesion. If I couldn't reach in hull I would rivet for sure. Last choice would be probably a self tapping screw
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Jun Tue 13, 2017 7:47 am

I used stainless steel bolts and nuts as well. I may be missing something because I don't get this obsession some have with using boat caulk and waterproofing the thing. As far as I can tell most of these rod holders are sitting right nearby a huge opening that you are sitting in. I guess if it's going inside a sealed storage compartment..
If you have the type that extend into the kayak and are flush on top self tapping sheet metal screws would do all you need as well, as Skifish suggested.
threeats407
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 13, 2017 8:46 am

Not exactly the same but I decided to put some paddle holders on my solo canoe a month or so ago. They came with nuts & bolts that wouldn't work on my canoe - couldn't get underneath the gunnels. So I used some stainless steel screws - works fine.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rory_B_Bellows » Jun Tue 13, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks, guys. I have a SOT yak, so no access insdie the hull to use nuts and bolts. I'm sure I have some short self tapping screws in one of my tool drawers, I'll give that a shot.
Rory_B_Bellows
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Depending on the thinness of your hull I suggest you be sure to use appropriate washers.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kayaking