Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Rock + Fox

11K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Skifish1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Saturday was breezy spent a few midday hours on the Fox. Was anticipating a little clearer water as the Fox improves some in winter and vis was up to 1ft which was good enough for me to use the 5wt fly rod as I was in the mood. Took a couple a dink smallies working off a gravel bar drop and had a chasing fish come to the surface charging fast but it missed the fly and I knew it wasn't a smallie and I didnt think it was a pike so my thoughts were a walleye. Switched to the spinning rod to run a diving crank and sure enough picked up a small eye, a couple more dink smallies, and another small eye. Probably first Fox eyes for me albeit toddlers.

Sunday I rolled the dice to see something new and did a long kayak outing on the Rock. My goal was walleyes since tis the season so I brought what I thought would work and spent a lot of time with the walleye setup working various stretches and holes to no avail. I also brought a pike rod and had more luck with that bites were spread out but was able to eek out 5 pike and missed several others including an acrobatic heavy who fully cleared the water chasing an buzz bait. Pike caught on buzzbait, spinnerbait, yo zuri jerkbait, and deep diving crank.

few pics
DSCF0871.JPG

DSCF0873.JPG

DSCF0872.JPG

DSCF0877.JPG

DSCF0876.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#18 ·
Thanks guys and get use to seeing my blue harbor freight cheapo 7mil nitrile gloves. I just bought a couple more boxes of them. They are miracles for me otherwise when weather gets cold and colder my hands will turn into a dried out cracked up mess. Truly makes a big difference to me until times I need to fish with heavier winter gloves.

SpecialEd that is a crawfish pattern fly, as a newbie to fly fishing im not tying anything myself, id like to at some point but too busy with life so its just internet fly buying for me Just dont have the time to learn and create but id sure like to make my own creations not for the sake of catching fish on something I made but more so to make some creations that dont exist that I would prefer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.