Central Illinois strip pits

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Central Illinois strip pits

Postby localyokal » Jan Sat 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Had another great day at some Central Illinois strip pits just west of Canton. Lots of nice gills, a few pig gills, a few bass and crappies.

A few pics for now. Will post more pics and details tomorrow. 2 ½ drive there, fished for 8 hrs, 2 1/2hr drive home. I’m tired.

" Opportunities are missed by most people because they are dressed in overalls and look like work"
localyokal
Fishing Czar

Re: Central Illinois strip pits

Postby catchafew » Jan Sat 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Wow there are some really nice gills in that pile.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jan Sat 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Nice as usual LocalY....I'm starting to realize that some folks look forward to ice and may actually do better on ice than open water for some species...
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Osprey » Jan Sat 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Wow, looks like a really killer pile of gills, having a day like that is always a blast.
Osprey
Fishing Czar

Postby fox_hunter42 » Jan Sun 05, 2014 12:52 am

I bow to the king. I wish I could catch em like you do
fox_hunter42
Game Fish

Postby bapentec » Jan Sun 05, 2014 3:54 am

drollllls :mrgreen:
bapentec
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ohoffm » Jan Sun 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Well played.
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Central Illinois strip pits= details and a couple more p

Postby localyokal » Jan Mon 06, 2014 12:30 am

Some details from Saturday. Sorry about taking so long but I had a lot of fish to clean and a lot of snow to shovel. Saturday we fished some property newly aquired by Nate Herman. Although he hasn’t managed the property yet, It seems like the lakes we fished are already off to a good start. For those of you that may be familiar with the area, the club is known as the Giant Goose Ranch. Nate and his brothers . just purchased this property with the plan of transforming it into the Midwest’s Premier Fishing, Hunting, Hiking, Camping, and Family Recreation Area! They have 40 lakes and ponds on this property and the biggest one is 121 acres!! Their plan is to unleash the most intensive multi-species lake management program on the planet…. you can check out their new website http://www.giantgooseranch.com for more info about the place. The website is a work in progress, just the home page works right now… If any of you have ever fished any of the properties Nate manages, you know this will become one of the premier fishing spots in the Midwest.
Anyway Saturday morning we got set up around 7:30 am in around 15 feet of water. For the first couple of hours I was marking all kinds of fish from right on the bottom to a couple of feet up. They were very active although some were marking fish and couldn’t get them to bite. Not sure what their set up was, but my fish were fairly aggressive and actively jigging two to four feet above them would draw them up and get them to bite. If you put it right in their face they seemed to ignore it, but jigging above them seemed to trigger them. I’d start about 4 ft above them and shake the ice jig very aggressively until you would see a red mark come rising up on the vex. As soon as the fish got close to the jig, a short pause of the jigging would usually draw a bite. If the fish did not bite, I would pull it up another foot away from them to get them to chase and bite. If they did not follow and dissapeared, I’d lower it back down to four feet above the last marked fish and start jigging again agressively until something came up after it. If they wouldn’t come up the four ft, I’d try it a couple of ft above them. If still no chasers, I’d drop it right in amongst them, jig aggressively and then pull it above them. Although a few bit right on the bottom, like I said, it seemedd if you put it right in their face they ignored it, If you jigged above them till you got them to rise up, the chasers almost always bit. Several times when the all the fish seemed to dissapear, I would drop a small sweedish pimple an the hole and jig very very aggressively and this seem to draw the fish back. Although only a few bumped the pimple it brought in new lookers that could then be enticed to bite the ice jig. Not sure whether color mattered much, I was getting bit fairly steady so I didn’t do much experimenting. The two jigs I used were horizontal ice jigs, not sure of the size, but small and fairly heavy. One green and yellow with a red plastic tail, and one was orange and yellow with a yellow plastic tail. Although I did catch a few on just plastic, early when they were very aggressive, they definitely liked it better with some meat so most of the time I had them tipped with one or two waxies. Around 11:00 the bite had really slowed and while we were marking fish, very few would bite, so we moved to a different lake. This new lake was very deep with some humps and long bars running down one side. After some searching we found the fish right on top of the bars in 5 to 10 feet of water and it was game on again. The fish seemed to bite in waves. You could catch several in one hole and then they would get shy. You could drill a new hole several ft away and start getting bit all over again or you could wait a while at the same hole and it seemed like a new group of fish would move in. We caught lots of good sunfish; red ears, bluegills and hybrids, from 8” up to 10 ½ “, bass and crappies. I ended the day with a few real pigs. One hybrid redear / bluegill cross at 10 ½”, 8 regular gills at 9” or better, and a slew of 8+ inchers gills and red ears.

A couple more pics of the day keepers

" Opportunities are missed by most people because they are dressed in overalls and look like work"
localyokal
Fishing Czar

Postby red_mucilin » Jan Mon 06, 2014 3:57 am

Better to be good than lucky.
red_mucilin
Fishing Czar

Postby bubblefish » Jan Tue 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Nice report, great fish. Those Vexilar's really make all the difference. I will check out that site for sure!
bubblefish
Game Fish

Return to Ice Fishing