Rainy evening at Beck 9-1-20

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Rainy evening at Beck 9-1-20

Postby cyanatic » Sep Wed 02, 2020 5:49 pm

I was able to knock off work a little bit earlier than usual last night and headed to Beck around 5:30. A thunderstorm went through in the afternoon and it remained cooler and overcast. Seems like evenings like that are a little more productive and if there's a threat of rain, it seems to keep the crowds down.

I went to the northeast shore where I saw some guys catching bass and walleye on a ned rig last week (I call it "Joe's Spot" now. :lol: ) I had the black and yellow Pond Magic spinnerbait on my light rod so I started with that. I was casting at a slight angle, almost parallel to the shore. On my second cast I felt a bump from the inshore weeds and then the unmistakable tug of a fish. He was 13 - 14", maybe a pound. That's the third bass I've caught on that lure in the last few weeks. I decided to stick with that and work my way along the shore. Except for one guy who had left right around the time I got there, I had the area to myself. A dink tagged the spinnerbait close to shore just as I was lifting it out of the water. I also hooked the busted top of an old soda bottle that must have been laying in the muck for a few years. I switched to a ned rig on my light rod and a shaky head on my main rod but I didn't get anything else. About 7:00 a steady drizzle started to come down. I lost the shaky head on what I think is the same snag where I lost a ned rig last week. I don't know if it's cleft in the rocks or a buried limb, but something close to shore likes to eat lures just a few yards north of the wooden post. I almost never lose lures at Beck but it gives me an excuse to indulge my GAS and buy more.

The last month and a half the water has been murkier at Beck than I recall in previous years. The afternoon thunderstorm didn't help much, so keep the visibility in mind if you head over there. (This also gave me an excuse to buy some Strike King rattling spinnerbaits: "But honey, the water at Beck is so murky! I have to buy these new lures if I expect to catch fish!")

ImageSmall LMB from Beck Lake 9-1-2020 by Steve, on Flickr

ImageBeck Treasures 9-1-2020 by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Re: Rainy evening at Beck 9-1-20

Postby RonG » Sep Wed 02, 2020 6:22 pm

Nice bass! Nice hillbilly funnel.
RonG