A little Beck bass on a windy Fall Afternoon

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

A little Beck bass on a windy Fall Afternoon

Postby cyanatic » Oct Sun 11, 2020 12:57 pm

We made a quick trip to Beck Saturday afternoon. Winds were out of the northeast pushing toward the southwest shore and the launch ramp, which is where I ended up fishing. Went to a spot at the edge of some shoreline reeds where I've caught bass on a number of occasions this summer. My new Revo Ike (20) was loaded with 15lb high viz braid and 10lb fluoro (my mistake, I bought 6lb fluoro to use for leader on my light rod, but in my hurry I used the 10lb).

Started with a 1/4 oz chartreuse buzzbait with a trailer hook on my medium St. Croix rod and Pflueger President XT (30lb braid, 10lb fluoro leader). A lot of fallen leaves collecting near the shoreline and those were about the only things I caught on the buzzbait. I switched to my light rod and Revo Ike and tied on the same old Pond Magic spinnerbait (3/16 oz) in Craw pattern that's been my most successful lure at Beck this year. I was casting into the wind, but I have to say that Revo Ike with the 15lb braid cast like silk. I have it on a 5'6" light Ugly Stik that I originally intended to use as my bushwhacking rod when I make bike trips up to the Goons.

My wife was with me again (we went to Beck at her suggestion) and, just like last Sunday, she didn't dress warm enough for the strong wind and went back to the car. I told her I would pack up and leave with her. It was a pretty steady wind whipping up the shoreline and I didn't think there'd be much action at 2pm. She insisted I fish a bit more. That's when I put on the spinnerbait. The usual inshore weeds were there (someday I'm going to learn the name of some of this aquatic vegetation. Milfoil maybe?). The pattern of the strike always seems to be the same. I get the lure closer to shore, start to bump through the vegetation, pull the rod to clear the snag and a second later there's a bump pulling back. Lean into it to set the hook, and try to keep him out of the jungle. I had never used the Ike before and I forgot to set the drag. It was a little bass, but he was pulling line out until I tightened it slightly. There was a woman walking by with her dogs who said, "Oh! That's a big fish!" and kindly offered to take my photo. I wish it had been a big fish, but for a quick 40 minutes of fishing under those conditions I'll gladly take it.

ImageBeck 10-10-20 3 by Steve, on Flickr

ImageLittle Beck LMB 10-10-20 by Steve, on Flickr

ImageBooyah Pond Magic, craw pattern, 3/16 oz by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Re: A little Beck bass on a windy Fall Afternoon

Postby Rambler » Oct Sun 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Way to hang in there!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby LC3203 » Nov Mon 02, 2020 9:12 am

That’s a good size bass! Way to go!
I’m thinking of heading out there this week to try some jerk baits. Had a bunch of luck with them down in central illinois. It’s cold, but maybe I can wake one up.
LC3203

Postby FazGoesFishing » Nov Thu 12, 2020 10:50 am

I love these detailed write-ups. Gonna use it to guide my next post. It really helps to understand all the conditions surrounding the catch. Thanks!
FazGoesFishing

Postby cyanatic » Dec Tue 29, 2020 6:25 pm

FazGoesFishing wrote:I love these detailed write-ups. Gonna use it to guide my next post. It really helps to understand all the conditions surrounding the catch. Thanks!

Thanks! I try to write it up that way because it's detail that I would want to hear about from someone else's fishing trip. Tight lines!
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Dec Wed 30, 2020 9:39 am

cyanatic wrote:Thanks! I try to write it up that way because it's detail that I would want to hear about from someone else's fishing trip. Tight lines!

Could be your journalism chops showing through?

Sure sign that cabin fever has set in - folks dredging up old posts!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Beck Lake