Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Beck 5/1/17

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  FISHdank 
#1 ·
I did 2.5 hours this morning. Launched at 7:30. Air temp. was 50 degrees and surface water temp. was 56. Winds were S to SW and kicking pretty good. I mainly fished the sheltered shorelines.

I left the house this morning fully expecting to be skunked but I managed to land 4 bass and had one shake off. The fish were just your average Beck bass. 12- 14 inch range. I got one and lost one on an alewife colored Slug Go that was texas rigged weightless. I also caught 3 on shallow running ,4-6 foot range, square bills. One on a perch color and 2 on a black/silver color.

The weed kill from last year is still doing its job. Shoreline weeds are non existant but there are deeper weeds and that is where I found the bass. Running the square bill over the tops of the weeds.

I would imagine that the water temp has cooled some from last week. The water clarity was only about 9 inches so I could not see any beds.

I will also add that this weather blows. It seems like we can not get into a sustained warm up and the wind just won't quit.

With the rivers blown out again it looks like lake fishing for me for a while.

Hey Marcus I might pony up the dough for that Opeka pass.
~JOE~

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Way to get on some fish at Beck! I was thinking about Beck this weekend, being as it's so close to home.

Yeah, the weather for the most part has really sucked. The winds this past month have been ridiculous and just won't quit.

#7 ·
I'm gonna keep an eye out for that canoe next time I get on Beck and say hi. I was close to tempted to load the kayak up around the same time you went. It looked for a bit this a/m that it was gonna be a clearer less windy day...finally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.