Two Big Beck Bass (5-15)

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Two Big Beck Bass (5-15)

Postby minstrel » May Tue 16, 2017 12:32 am

I decided to throw lures at Beck today after a frustrating weekend (Fri & Sun) at Opeka called for a break. Ended up being just what I needed with a solid day beating the shorelines.

The weeds are getting so you can see the tops at a distance. Started out with the Rat-l-Trap but even on a half-cast it was going too far and getting seriously snagged and fowled up in the weeds I was trying to "work".

So I changed over to my senko rod and was more able to cast a half orange half watermelon wacky rigged senko up to the weed edge and then work back in. It ended up being a pretty popular presentation as I got three bass on the day.

One was in the 8-10 range but my first and third were nice healthy and feisty fish. The first I hooked into I just noticed a slight pop forward in my line then it stayed motionless and the twitched a bit again a few seconds later. I decided to give it a shot and was rewarded with a big bright flash of gold. It was a really nice fish easily my best at Beck. However as I dragged him in/over/through all the shoreline weeds he was able to free himself :cry: he was about 3ft from shore. I admit there was a moment that I thought about trying to step in and grab him before he swam away but I stopped myself, watching him slowly roll back out into the deep... it was an easy 16"+ but obviously no verification of that estimation.

The third fish was also a good fight after hooking up. Was able to get this one in and he taped a bit over 14" and weighed 1.92 lbs (first bass worthy to use of my new scale/grip). Solo:
beckbass515_1.jpg

And Bass Selfie Style:
beckbass515_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Re: Two Big Beck Bass (5-15)

Postby RonG » May Tue 16, 2017 12:46 am

Nice work!

Beck is place I've never fished.

minstrel wrote: he was able to free himself :cry: he was about 3ft from shore. I admit there was a moment that I thought about trying to step in and grab him before he swam away but I stopped myself, watching him slowly roll back out into the deep... it was an easy 16"+ but obviously no verification of that estimation.

Carry a small tazer on your belt. If you're a quick draw, you'll never have this problem again.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » May Tue 16, 2017 4:33 am

Nice work out there. Why is it that the big one always gets away?
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Tue 16, 2017 7:08 am

joetrain wrote:Nice work out there. Why is it that the big one always gets away?
~JOE~

That's why she's the big one.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » May Tue 16, 2017 7:32 am

Excellent. I spent a couple hours there the other day from shore, 3/4 of that was deweeding hooks. I'm going to have to stop being too lazy to tie that kayak down to my ladder rack.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SnagBros » May Tue 16, 2017 7:11 pm

theres definitely some bigguns in there, but dont tell anyone
I have a Orange Ride kayak and I am usually fly fishing at Beck, Busse, or DPR. If you ever see me come say hello, I love meeting new people in the fishing world. Tight lines!

Follow @zmfishingmw on Instagram
SnagBros
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Man very nice. Pleasant change of scenery.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Beck Lake