Beck Sping Fling... (3/12)

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Beck Sping Fling... (3/12)

Postby minstrel » Mar Tue 13, 2018 11:57 am

Long story short from my afternoon is that I had 'crawlers on a drop shot and one on a fairly deep float with no action save a few empty hooks.

Brigns us to the main event... my Pfluegers are pretty damn beat up from shore fishin Opeka and Busse and the bails seem to want to snap shut during casts. In adjusting them one of the screws seemed to be starting to strip... so I needed a solid reel to count on for my bass finesse-in work. I eventually picked up a new Diawa Exceler LT and planned a test run before heading home.

So, I took out a 'bleeding shad' chrome rat-L-trap beat up worse than my Pfleugers and put 'er on. I figured get some good long casts out there to see how this baby works. I've done well in Spring (on the advice of Zenfish actually) with them. I eventually got snagged about 20ft out at which point I realized I had forgotten to set my drag! I couldn't get any pressure and then the snag stared moving right and left :shock: I was able to see what would easily be a Beck PB bass before it spit the hook... damn.

The double surprise of catching anything and then the drag thing kinda paralized me from just tightening the damn drag :roll: It was one of those you piece back together afterwards.

"I'll Be Back"
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Beck Sping Fling... (3/12)

Postby crankybass » Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Minstrel,

That is a heart-breaker, man. My first time out this year, I didn't set my magnetic break and with my first cast into the wind with a light jerkbait :x well, you know the story. It seems that my first time out I have some type of SNAFU. How was the water quality at Beck? That north and west section should be warming up in the next couple of weeks--in spite of the snow today.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:25 pm

crankybass wrote:SNAFU

My daily outings are SNAFU for sure :lol:

its still early, we'll get on em
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Argh... I know where that jerkbait story is going!

Things looked all good as far as clarity, but beside the post-hibermation Rip van Bass no sight of any real action. But yes, despite the snow, Spring cannot be stopped! :D
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:36 pm

minstrel wrote:despite the snow, Spring cannot be stopped!

bout to break out my ice gear one last time.... :lolno:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Argh, get back out there. She's waiting for you. You'll get her.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Tue 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Misery loves company, we all feel that one.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Send your Pfluegers to their service dept in Spirit Lake, IA. They might just fix them for free.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Went to the Dupe today and had the exact same thing happen to me on my only bite. Saw the fish gulp it, set hook and nothing but line came out...watched the fish go left and spit it. No idea how a fish can be so lucky and spit a double treble without getting hooked by SOMETHING, but it happens I guess. Ended up being my only bite in 5 hours of fishing too. Early season mistakes are a bitch.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Thu 15, 2018 8:05 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:Went to the Dupe today and had the exact same thing happen to me on my only bite. Saw the fish gulp it, set hook and nothing but line came out...watched the fish go left and spit it. No idea how a fish can be so lucky and spit a double treble without getting hooked by SOMETHING, but it happens I guess. Ended up being my only bite in 5 hours of fishing too. Early season mistakes are a bitch.

I missed a set on my only fish yesterday as well (right by the shore so I saw its bucket mouth) Even pulled the trailer off my chatterbait. Its been real slow.
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Beck Lake