Star Wars Day at Beck

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Star Wars Day at Beck

Postby minstrel » May Fri 04, 2018 9:16 pm

May the 4th be with you!! :D

Got to Beck late after again getting el zippo at another locale. I was hoping for something, anything to make me believe again :( This spring (should we even call it that) has truly sucked. Most trips have ended the same, no fish.

I'd lost my last 'trap previously, casting it off somehow. It'd have to be plastics today. Wacky rigged a 5" baby bass senko which has seemed to be the most popular color at Beck. About five casts in my line actually moved! Out of sheer instinct I set the hook and reeled in a mediumish but extreeemly welcome bass. I was in such shock I took this terrible selfie. Note shocked look:
finally.jpg

Several minutes later I hooked into a rocket bass... it was swimming so fast right to left I barely got a set in; it came unbuttoned unseen. Seemed to be a good one.

A guy came by and I told him it seemed the fish were finally moving again and to prove my point he nailed on on maybe his third cast with a white twister tail gig. Looked to be a nice and fat one but it self released about five feet out.

I made a few more casts and, with a sigh of relief, headed home. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Star Wars Day at Beck

Postby vman01 » May Sat 05, 2018 12:05 am

Fishing gets better in a Cubs shirt. Another curse broken.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » May Sat 05, 2018 3:15 am

Lol...I wondered where you were going with that one. It has been the weirdest negative spring I can remember, predating you by a couple years ;) I think last spring was the strangest in a good way. Glad you were able to pick one up (gotta love those sticks worms) and I’m sure there will be plenty more to come
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » May Sat 05, 2018 4:54 am

I always loved paddling around Beck in the morning. So quiet and peaceful and I usually had the place to myself.
Put on your sombrero and get back out there today.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » May Mon 07, 2018 12:45 am

I didn't fish on 'Revenge of the Fifth' so this is an add-on report of Beck on the 6th. :D

Gorgeous day to be out, and there was the usual Sunday crowd out in pockets along the shore. I fear for what Opeka looked like on such a perfect day, a Sunday and with so much crappy weather before it. Yikes.

No "picture fish" today but had a good shore fishin day, snagging four bass at different spots working along with my go-to wacky baby bass senko on an o-ring. I've been using a 'weedless' hook to try and cut down on snag-ups and the resulting senko/hook losses.

After using some others at the end of last year that were hook guard types that bend so easy and become useless, I came upon the 'Gamakatsu Wicked Wacky Hook', ordered one pack as a tester and was sent a pack of five packages of three 8)

I used one hook all day, zero snags. Didn't seem to make a difference in hooking up the fish I found as I snagged all bites today. Can't imagine there was anything visually about them that caused fish to pass them by either; given the result. I'll keep an eye on it of course but so far so good and I've got plenty of stock :D
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » May Mon 07, 2018 7:14 am

Looks like the Minstrel Mojo is on the fish
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » May Mon 07, 2018 9:05 am

man i miss living close to that pond. it gets really good in a couple weeks depending on what the weed situation looks like.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Beck Lake