Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Beck Update Mon/Fri 7-2&6

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dancing around super heat, rain and the holiday I made it out to Beck Monday and Friday for a couple good outings!

Both days brought clear blue skies and a bit of a breeze so I felt lucky!

Monday I caught four fish including a spunky 17"er:
20180702_165943.jpg

That alone I decided to not post so I'll roll through to Friday which was an amazing day!

So as I walked up to the shoreline I said to the lake 'Okay Beck only big guys today!" Not sure why I was so bold but it just came out and I wasn't taking it back. :wink:

Around 20 casts in (wacky baby bass 5" senko for all fish) I moved to a second shore opening. I was casting sidearm/baseball style to cut through the wind. This spot has a tree past the opening and I realized with the style I was casting I had to be standing mostly behind shore plants to not foul up into the tree. I said to myself as I made one cast anyhow "Well obviously this spot's not going to work." and just then WHAM! I had a serious hit on my hands. I knew it was a solid fish. In fact it even ran a little line out a few times as I wrangled it in. When it got close it wedged itself in between the rocks. Damn. :roll: I didn't want to lose it by popping the line so I decided to give it a little slack and it swam out, eventually, and I could land it and tape it out to 18" 8)
20180706_141440.jpg

I moved along walking the shore spots and had nothing to show until I got around the lake down the path and had an odd strike. I thought it was a dink pecking at my senko. It was just a quick pop of the line, then no movement. I decided to give it a hookset anyway and hooked into another big fish.

Not easy to move as he was a real chunker. I was concerned about all the slop at the shore but I navigated him in. Taped this badboy out at 17". He had something causing his stomach to stick out (maybe a 'gil)? The way it hit I was surprised at it's size "I thought you'd be a small one!" I told it as I pulled it in.
20180706_173654.jpg

What really cemented this day as a standout was that I battled another about 15 minutes later. It was easily in the same size range. This time the at-shore weed slop was too much and some thrashing about popped my line. It lay there sideways on top of the shoreline rocks for a bit so I was able to get a good sizing up of it before it swam off.

I headed out thinking I really did get "only big guys" on a super cool day that won't soon be topped I'd guess. Some days you just never know :D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah Joe, I was pained when I saw a few guys that are out there regularly recently. We always trade 'How's it going"s and usually he says nothing's biting but on one day I asked and he held up a white plastic bag and said 'Two bass 14 and 16"!' and my heart just kind of sank. I mean I know there are limits yada yada and he wasn't doing anything illegal but it just bummed me out. :(

Oh and I forgot to add I had another incident that I think I've pegged to be cats. I see line movement, quickly feel weight on the line get a good hookset in, it runs line off my reel and then just spits the hook. I get senko and hook back. This has happened to me twice at the same spot. Makes you wish you could see underwater!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Woohoodude11 said:
Sweet outing man. Good job. I admire your perseverance in tough shore conditions.
Yeah that was one to remember. It's been slow since, lucky to pull more than a few per outing. I was out yesterday (Aug 2) and caught just one fish. It made it worth it though as it was this 17" beast that took a senko and headed for the middle of the lake. I could feel him kicking his tail and moving his head as he plowed forward. Great fight!
20180802_171534.jpg

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.