Beauty of a Beck Bass 8-13

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Beauty of a Beck Bass 8-13

Postby minstrel » Aug Mon 13, 2018 9:20 pm

I've been working my way through a general slowdown of late, but both Friday and today I was able to snag a nice late bass to make the day worth it.

Friday I had been working both the blue/black chatter and some senkos and reached the far portion of the Lake (respective to the parking lot that is...). After doing a few fan casts with the chatter with no result I was deciding whether to just call it a skunk and head home or press on as the sun set. I decided one more set of casts with the senko and on the third cast got nailed by another 17" bass. I believe it's my third that size this season. Persistence paid off and I took my non-skunk happily back to the car. The selfies on this day weren't good so I won't torture people with them. :wink:

Today (Monday) I almost left my chatter rod in the car but I figured if I was going to see some results on it I'd have to throw it. So I grabbed both my wacky setup and my chatter setup. I caught a few small guys along the way and once again found myself staring at a possible end to the day in unsatisfying fashion. Persistence (or more like stubbornness heh) would once again pay off. This time I shook off a notion to head home and picked up my chatter rod. A few casts later about half way in it got devoured by a jumping frothing splashing madly trying to walk on water big bass. Huge blowup to say the least. I was able to land 'im but could barely lift it out of the water. I was a tank with huge shoulders and while it only taped out at 16" I think it was still probably my finest Beck bass, partially since I've been throwing that chatter for weeks to no result. Needless to say it made my day. I even smiled in the selfie:
20180813_184452.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Re: Beauty of a Beck Bass 8-13

Postby jmdog2003 » Aug Mon 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Beauty of a Beck bass, buddy! :D
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Aug Tue 14, 2018 12:46 am

You're doin great there from shore. Keep it up!
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Tue 14, 2018 3:52 am

That bass is worthy of a smile. Well done minstrel
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Tue 14, 2018 6:36 am

The beck meister. Bass-a-reno...
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby crankybass » Aug Mon 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Persistence pays off. As a bank fisherman, I've fished Beck, the last time was several years ago. I used the contour map, so I had a good idea of where the drop offs are, etc. How about cover? Lay downs, pads, weed beds, etc.? I am thinking about hitting Beck this Thursday afternoon, evening, so I just need a little intel to help me target the right areas. PM if you want to keep that info on the QT.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby minstrel » Aug Wed 22, 2018 12:44 am

Yeah man, no prob. I'll throw somethin together for ya in a PM, but I think the new "improvements" killed off message notifications so be on the look out for it.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » Aug Wed 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I went there this morning for a few hours. I don't know whether it's my lack of familiarity with the lake, last night rain, windy weather, or may be me sucking at fishing, but I was thoroughly skunked.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby crankybass » Aug Thu 23, 2018 8:24 am

minstrel wrote:Yeah man, no prob. I'll throw somethin together for ya in a PM, but I think the new "improvements" killed off message notifications so be on the look out for it.

I sent a thank you via PM. I really appreciate the assist. How bad is the weed/grass growth along the shore--not in the water, on the bank? And the water clarity, as I recall from the past, is fairly good?
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby minstrel » Aug Thu 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Yeah weeds aren't an issue in most spots, some with that green sludge at the shore but that's not much of a hinderance. Still very clear.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Return to Beck Lake