Beck 8/23/18

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Beck 8/23/18

Postby crankybass » Aug Fri 24, 2018 10:43 am

I fished the lake from 3:25 - 6:30. It was good to fish a lake that I haven't fished for a long time. I like the accessibility for shore anglers, and the water clarity and conditions are good. I had one hook, fight, and shake off (he "flipped me off") on a chatterbait. My guess is he was 13-14", strong fighter, but my poor hook set cost me. I need to spend more time on this lake, to get familiar with it. I went around to the north/northwest end and found that the laydowns that were there in 2014 are gone. Lakes do change. I also noted that the water level is low--this is an issue for other lakes, too. I hope we get enough rain/snow to move those levels back up next year.

I forgot to add, I know that guys have had success with senkos, not sure about other styles of soft baits, and I have had a lot of success with soft plastics where I usually fish up in Lake County. But, this lake, at least my feeling about it now, is that swimbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, may be a better choice because of the grass beds and the need to get the bait out into deeper water. I certainly preferred to cast and crank yesterday, and I had no hits at all on my softbait presentations.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Re: Beck 8/23/18

Postby minstrel » Aug Sat 25, 2018 11:57 am

Interesting to hear your take on Beck. I have been doubling up with cranks added to my usual soft baits as well.

Things have been slow lately hopefully they will spring (well, Fall actually heh) back soon.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Sat 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey Cranky, sorry I didn’t get back to your response on that multi colored senko we were discussing on one of your prior posts...it’s been a crazy busy week. After seeing it in that video you posted, I have seen that color before...I just thought it was a 2 color laminate, not a quad color, lol Looks tasty. As for this post, sounds like you might be able to dial it in after this recon mission, I hope you go back to see what you can drum up
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby crankybass » Aug Mon 27, 2018 9:59 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:Hey Cranky, sorry I didn’t get back to your response on that multi colored senko we were discussing on one of your prior posts...it’s been a crazy busy week. After seeing it in that video you posted, I have seen that color before...I just thought it was a 2 color laminate, not a quad color, lol Looks tasty. As for this post, sounds like you might be able to dial it in after this recon mission, I hope you go back to see what you can drum up

I've been reviewing my experience and I also talked with a guy, a younger guy, who has been fishing Beck since he was a kid. The pressure has increased on that lake in recent years, and a lot of "bucket heads" keep whatever they catch. Anyway, I think that swim jigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and cranks will be the best lures. I hope to get back out there this season and see what I can do with a focus on those baits.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Mindiman » Sep Mon 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Its coolng down now im liking the fishing reports on this forum keep em coming and ill post my own like i did from busse thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I fish from my green/blue Jackson Kilroy kayak with many brand name fishing gear sticker on it say hello i like to meet new people and share fishing info
Mindiman
Minnow

Return to Beck Lake