Beck 4-6-2021 First fish of 2021

Beck Lake - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Beck 4-6-2021 First fish of 2021

Postby cyanatic » Apr Wed 07, 2021 11:10 am

Yesterday was so warm for April that I had to make another run to Beck when I finished up work. Got there about 5:45. Because of the time factor I didn't want to hike to the northern end so I just headed over to the southwest portion past the launching ramp.

There was a man with what looked like his two teenage daughters. Not still fishing either, so I assumed they were going for bass. Kudos to him for raising his daughters the right way! :lol: The spot I like to try is in front of some reeds. As I walked up, one of the girls had just vacated that spot so I thought I'd give it a quick try. I had a pearl white fluke already rigged on my light rod, but my medium rod wasn't set up yet. I didn't want to lose the chance to fish that spot so I didn't even take my backback off. Just set my medium rod down and flipped the fluke parallel to the reeds and started bringing it in, jerking it slightly as I reeled. I thought I was slightly hung up on bottom muck or weeds and pulled it to break through when I felt that unmistakable pull of a fish. Not a large one, but a fish is a fish. The man and his daughters were looking over and I almost felt bad. They had just fished that spot and here comes this guy who walks up, makes one cast, and pulls out a largemouth. The man finally left and I had the area to myself, but I couldn't get anymore strikes. Tried a buzzbait, a wacky senko, and then went back to the fluke again.

It's funny how when you get a fish right off the bat you hope it's the start of a few more. With the weather still pretty warm, maybe some of his cousins will start venturing into the shallows for their prespawn feed.

ImageBeck Bass 1 by Steve, on Flickr

ImageFirst fish 2021 4-6-21 by Steve, on Flickr

ImageZoom Pearl White fluke by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Beck 4-6-2021 First fish of 2021

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 07, 2021 12:09 pm

Good work. Beck's a bit too far for me these days so I have to live vicariously.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Apr Wed 07, 2021 1:05 pm

Hah, I had that same 'person walks away and next person catches a fish' as Busse yesterday but I was the one who had just walked away after quite thoroughly working the area. :roll: To make matters worse the bass (bordering on illegal I'd say from my view) went right into a bucket :(

Anyhow good to see things warming at Beck too! Grats on getting on the board!

It is more of a hike for me as well but I do have a soft spot for the place. I'll be out soon I'd guess!
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Apr Wed 07, 2021 2:37 pm

That’s a killer bait. I was finesse fishing once on Lake Michigan with no results when a guy walks up using gear more suited for sharks and immediately pulls out a nice rainbow. It goes both ways I guess.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Apr Wed 07, 2021 3:23 pm

minstrel wrote:To make matters worse the bass (bordering on illegal I'd say from my view) went right into a bucket
:x :x :x I hate that. Greedy people who care nothing about the lake or the wildlife or the upkeep and sustainability of the area.

joetrain wrote:That’s a killer bait. I was finesse fishing once on Lake Michigan with no results when a guy walks up using gear more suited for sharks and immediately pulls out a nice rainbow. It goes both ways I guess.

~JOE~

Apparently! That was actually the first time I caught anything on a fluke. I only started using them a few months ago in the DPR. I love the action on them.
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby minstrel » Apr Wed 07, 2021 5:29 pm

cyanatic wrote::x :x :x I hate that. Greedy people who care nothing about the lake or the wildlife or the upkeep and sustainability of the area.

Yeah, it really burns me. I don't mind the cooler full of crappies the people down from him had though I will give it an eyeroll... walleye, cats, trout, etc.? Fine. But there is just no reason to put a bass in your bucket. I'm not a fish eater actually (fish allergies run in my family) but there's a reason people don't go to a restaurant and say 'Oooh I want a treat, do you happen to have any locally sourced largemouth on the menu?? Soooo tasty!' :roll:

Sorry for the hijack...
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Apr Fri 09, 2021 7:00 pm

So, no giants... but I did hook into two on the spinner today (4-9) at Beck. Both were about this size:
20210409_1stBeck.jpg

Crazy day weather-wise. At one point it was windy dark and rainy then like 10 minutes later the clouds cleared completely only to cloud back over in about the same amt of time. Such is Spring. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Apr Wed 14, 2021 3:16 pm

minstrel wrote:So, no giants... but I did hook into two on the spinner today (4-9) at Beck. Both were about this size:
20210409_1stBeck.jpg

Crazy day weather-wise. At one point it was windy dark and rainy then like 10 minutes later the clouds cleared completely only to cloud back over in about the same amt of time. Such is Spring. :roll:

Nice fish, Minstrel! To a shore fisherman, any fish is a good fish. Except for bluegill when I try for them, I rarely catch more than 1 fish on average at Beck. I was out there late Sunday (4/11) but didn't catch anything (north shore across from the island, the open stretches by the wooden post). Saw a few other guys and nobody else caught anything either. Historically, early to mid-June has been the most productive month for me at Beck.
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby minstrel » Apr Wed 14, 2021 6:36 pm

Yeah I was pretty happy to come away with the two. I have realistic goals for from-shore Spring fishing so anything tugging a line is welcome and appreciated! :)

I agree with your assessment on the peak time for the season. Once they really start hitting I've had northward of ten catches in a day. That usually seems to be just a few week period though.

Keep on fishin!
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Apr Thu 15, 2021 4:05 pm

Good start to the year! I fished a lake last week on one of those warm days and the bigger fish were shallow. Aggressively ripping weighted Texas rigged creatures through weeds and they'd eat it as the bait began to fall back down. Haven't been out since this cooler weather moved in. Hope to get out this weekend one of the days.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Fri 16, 2021 2:49 am

Good ole beck and the north east shoreline. Well worth the walk through goose crap to get there.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Beck Lake