A good night for the pads

Lake Glenview - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

A good night for the pads

Postby crankybass » Sep Mon 18, 2017 9:09 pm

This past week I was laid up sick, including a trip to the emergency room at my own request this past Wednesday. Thank God, I am back to 100%, and since I missed this past Saturday for fishing I decided to hit The Glen after work. I arrived home at 5:25 and immediately changed, packed my gear, and headed out. I arrived at the north bay at 6:15 and started fishing at 6:20 p.m. I started out throwing a Baby Brush Hog in Watermelon/Red Flake, with a 1/8 oz bullet weight, unpegged, rigged Texsposed on a 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook. I was throwing this on my 7.3:1 Fuego/Ceilo rod combo, with 15lb fluoro. I worked the laydown, and, as best as I could, the outside edge of the pads. I also threw it into the middle of the pads, dragging it over the pads and letting it drop into the holes and pockets. I did this until 6:45 with no hits. I noticed that small bait fish were starting to hit the surface in the and around the pads. I remembered that Jimmy T. of Fish Tech had told me that weightless stick worms, Texas rigged were the lure of choice the week before. With the sun getting low, I decided it was time to change tactics.

I rigged up a 5" Green Pumpkin Yum Dinger, with the same hook, weightless, Texsposed, on my 8.1:1 Fuego/St. Croix Mojo Bass rod with 50lb braid. I noticed that pads were moving, so I tossed my lure onto the pads, dragging it and hoping to get it to drop in between the pads or in the open water holes between them. Several times, as I reeled the lure on top I saw movement toward it. After 5-6 casts it was fish on. He put up a good fight. When I got him close to shore I knew that he was a nice fish. I asked to nice ladies walking on the path if they would take a picture and send it to me, and they were very happy to do so--in fact, they took 8 pictures. Then I weighed him, 2.03lbs, and measured him, 16". After that I let him go, and did he bolt.

I wrapped up at 7:30 p.m. I am really glad I didn't let the short amount of time available to fish deter me.

crankybass
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Re: A good night for the pads

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Tue 19, 2017 10:26 am

chunky one! bass fishing always cured my illnesses (hangovers at least).
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A good night for the pads

Postby JasonN » Sep Tue 19, 2017 10:44 am

Nice bass from the Glen. Glad to see some action from there.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Return to Lake Glenview