Two for Two

Lake Glenview - Glenview, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Two for Two

Postby crankybass » Oct Thu 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Last night I determined that I had a slow leak in my front right tire, and I confirmed that this morning when I found it flat as a pancake. I had to be at work this morning, but I took the afternoon off to get it repaired. I wasn't sure if I would have time, but I decided to take my fishing backpack and one rod/reel just in case. My preparation paid off. I arrived at the lake at 3:20 and started fishing in the south pool. With no action after 10 minutes, I decided to move on down the rocks toward the first bridge.

I was throwing a pumkin green Baby Brush Hog, texsposed on a 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG offset worm hook, unpegged 1/8oz bullet weight, 15lb fluro, on my Fuego/Cielo reel and rod. I had a strong sense that tossing in and around the bridge pilings, and under the bridge into the stick-ups (reeds and what looked like small tree branches), as well as into the remaining pads would pay off. I also brought up some green hydrilla, so that gave me more confidence that I was fishing a good spot. I was right. At 4 p.m. I hooked and landed a 15" largemouth, and at 4:40 I hooked and landed a 14.5" largemouth.

I fished that area for another 20-minutes, then I moved on and fished the north side of the first bridge, the second bridge and the little bay south of the second bridge, and then to the long pier, followed by the north east bay and laydown. I did have any more action.

crankybass
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Re: Two for Two

Postby BlueSkyBass » Oct Fri 20, 2017 9:01 am

Sounds like a nice evening, save from the flat tire!

Thanks for the detailed report, too. I've been up to Lake Glenview twice without a single fish to show for it and appreciate helpful information.

It also sounds like a satisfying experience of following the textbook advice for bass and having success.
BlueSkyBass
Minnow

Postby crankybass » Oct Fri 20, 2017 11:52 am

BlueSkyBass,

I learned a couple of helpful lessons the past year that have greatly improved my success rate. One, pay attention to high percentage areas, and two, don't stay in one place and burn down--move if you're not getting any action. Now, intuition is involved to a certain extent, and that just comes with experience and familiarity with the body of water. For example, I didn't stay in the south pool near Chestnut Street for long. After 15 minutes without any bites, and based on my observations of the cover, I moved on. As I walked down the rocks toward the bridge, I made a few casts, at key points until I settled down by the bridge. I keyed in on the bridge because I figured there were good ambush points, there were reeds/branches, and lily pad stalks sticking out of the water, and I figured that there was a "channel" running under the bridge. 15-20 minutes after I caught the second bass, without any action, I moved to the other side of the bridge and fished from that side and in the pads/stick ups there. When that area didn't produce any more bites, I moved on again. Up at Old School I follow the same strategy, and I often hook and land a couple right after I move to a new location. I think that the Baby Brush Hog has been a great lure because it mimics three types of forage: crayfish, frogs, bait fish.

Fishing is a great sport, whether you fish for fun or professionally. In both cases it requires a learning mindset, and a positive mental attitude. The best advice I ever got was from one of the Lake Glenview regulars: "Remember, they call it fishing, not catching. If you keep that thought in mind you'll have a lot more fun and and you may be more successful too." I've read a lot of posts on this forum, especially when I first came back to fishing in 2013 after a twenty year absence, so I've really appreciated what others have shared here. I feel that because I've benefited from the collected wisdom here I should share what I know, though I am not wise by any measure, with others.

crankybass
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby BlueSkyBass » Oct Wed 25, 2017 9:03 am

Crankybass,

Thanks a lot for the additional information. It's so much more helpful to hear the breakdown for a pond I've fished instead of a Youtube video on some lake in Georgia I'll never see.

There seems to be a lot of experience/intuition involved in how long to fish a spot/what bait to throw. I think it's interesting that you just stuck with the Baby Brush Hog (which I ordered some of this past weekend). When I find what seems to be a fishy spot, I often question where I should move or tie on a different lure. Then I second guess myself, etc.

That is great advice. The time outdoors fishing has been so good for me this fall, but I do fight with the frustration of frequent snags, constantly removing weeds and, of course, not catching many fish. The posts here have been great for tips to make the most of my time fishing but also to keep things in perspective and remind myself just to enjoy the time I get to fish.
BlueSkyBass
Minnow

Postby toyasu » Apr Mon 30, 2018 10:55 am

Great report and advice. Thank you, sir.
toyasu
Pan Fish

Return to Lake Glenview