Mixed Bag (4/6)

Lasalle Lake - Seneca, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Mixed Bag (4/6)

Postby Bobba Down » Apr Mon 06, 2015 8:20 pm

The weather was too perfect today to NOT make the trip to Lasalle. Especially since the boat is ready to go now.
Mostly overcast with a few rays of sun. Light winds varying from almost non-existent to maybe 10mph by late afternoon. Made boat control for drifting banks very manageable.

Spent a lot of time casting cranks and rattletraps with nothing to show for it. Bladebaits and gulp minnows caught quite a few fish, and a Berkley ripple shad swimbait on a 3/8oz jighead was a solid producer as well today.

Water was about 63 at the launch. Only made it as far as Veterans Point where the water was in the 80s. Most fish were caught in cooler water. Most other boats on the water were trolling, or hopping all around trying to find a hot bite. Nobody seemed to be making a 2nd pass over any water they covered, so Im assuming they were not finding what they were looking for. We scratched fish all around, but really started to get them dialed in right about the time we had to pack up and leave due to a prior obligation. (Funny how that always works!)

We caught : largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, sauger, hybrids, channel cats, blue cats, and drum.

Best hybrid of the day (20") :

Best bass of the day (19") :

A few more walleye (all "legal" size) "

And a surprise sauger :

No shortage of small channel cats. Half a dozen or so small blue cats, but nothing over a couple pounds. I hooked something on a swimbait that fought me for about a minute before shaking loose. Never got a look at it, but it was ripping drag and was too heavy for me to turn or move. I wish I would have at least got a look at it, just to know what it was. The way it screamed on the drag, im guessing a brute hybrid. :x

Hoping to make the trip out there a few more times before the water gets too hot!
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Re: Mixed Bag (4/6)

Postby 1080tommy » Apr Mon 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Very nice outing!!!!
1080tommy
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Travatron » Apr Mon 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Gotta love a mixed bag and nice hybrid! Lasalle is a little big for the yak but maybe I will try it!
Travatron
Fishing Czar

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Mon 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Very cool with the variety and the size ain't half bad either.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby localyokal » Apr Mon 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Nice job. Great report
" Opportunities are missed by most people because they are dressed in overalls and look like work"
localyokal
Fishing Czar

Postby Busse Jim » Apr Mon 06, 2015 10:10 pm

nice report and variety of fish
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Apr Tue 07, 2015 12:22 am

Oh, it warms my heart to see my old boat getting slimed up with fish. Nicely done man.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Tue 07, 2015 4:38 am

Good fishing. Those ripple shade have been coming through on tough days for me.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Kamala » Apr Tue 07, 2015 5:58 am

I read somewhere that there are tons of walleye in LaSalle and Heidecke. Looks like they need to grow some though.
Kamala
Fishing Czar

Postby Bobba Down » Apr Tue 07, 2015 7:20 am

FishinMatt wrote:Oh, it warms my heart to see my old boat getting slimed up with fish. Nicely done man.

I put a little work in since you saw her last. Built the back deck out, more than doubling its size while creating plenty of new storage space. I have a few more modifications in mind, and its been fun to work on during the "off-season" .... But the only plans I have for her in the near future are to put more fish in the boat!

Aux Pleins wrote:Good fishing. Those ripple shade have been coming through on tough days for me.

Same here. I just picked em up for the first time this year, but I have already been impressed. Fishing was tough the other day on the lower DPR. Spinnerbaits / chatterbaits / shallow cranks did nothing. Threw a ripple shad and immediately started to pick up some greenies. Ill definitely be stocking up on those.
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby Bobba Down » Apr Tue 07, 2015 7:31 am

Kamala wrote:I read somewhere that there are tons of walleye in LaSalle and Heidecke. Looks like they need to grow some though.

LaSalle : It has been many, many years since walleye were successful and consistently caught out there. The plant was running at high capacity and cooked most of them out I hear. This year (or last) the DNR dumped a load of eyes back in the lake. Im not sure what the plant is doing, or if the fish will survive. I dont think there are that many of them in there, but in 3 outings this spring, I think ive caught about 10 of them. (all 12-16")

Heidecke : Heid is a different story. Heidecke is loaded with walleye. I just read somewhere recently the fall DNR creel survey yielded an excellent crop of fish in both numbers and size. (collected eyes up to 8.5lbs) There is a huge year class of fish out there which will break the "legal" length min this season too. Water was still pretty cold last weekend. 46-47 deg. I gave it a shot for a couple hours and even asking around I have not seen, nor heard of any fish being caught yet. After this week of warm weather and rain, it should be starting to pop off. Once the water temps get in to the 50's, I will be spending a lot of time out there targeting the ol marble eyes! :lol:
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby cubanice27 » Apr Tue 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Nice looken boat you got bud!! GREAT report and GREAT fish!! thanks for posting up man!!
cubanice27
Fishing Czar

Postby FishinMatt » Apr Wed 08, 2015 12:34 am

I dig the improvements you put into the boat. It looks fantastic. It sounds kind of sappy, but I really did love that old boat and am glad that it went to somebody that will carry the torch of loading her up with fish.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby George W » Apr Wed 08, 2015 7:59 am

Very Nice outing! Beautiful fish great post
Instagram.com/GEOFISHING
-GEO

<((><
George W
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WetWader » Apr Wed 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Nice mixed bag!
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby AL-Quatics » Apr Thu 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Outstanding mixed bag! Hard to beat a day like that with the Spring weather we've had so far :)
AL-Quatics
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Apr Thu 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I thought that was Matt's old boat when I first saw this post. (It's that Tackle Warehouse sticker that gave it away)

Super job! Cool sauger.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Omer.K » Apr Thu 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Great fish !! Nice work!!
Omer.K
Fishing Czar

Return to Lasalle Lake