What's the problem with cats

Lasalle Lake - Seneca, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

What's the problem with cats

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Wed 13, 2016 1:40 pm

I've been reading posts and no one likes cats?
bear2cheese

Re: What's the problem with cats

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Wed 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Maybe it's because they have sharp spines that contain venom that is extremely painful after being stung. Or maybe it's just that they roll up your fishing line and slime the crap out of it when fighting.

Anywho, I dig a good catfish tug-a-roo and have probably caught more channel cats this year than Large mouth bass on the river. Fishing strickly with artificials.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Muskyman » Jul Wed 13, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm more of a bass and musky guy, but will fish cats a lot at night on the river. Flatheads are my favorite catfish to catch.
Muskyman
Game Fish

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Fri 15, 2016 11:02 am

Aux Pleins: I know what you mean about the venomous spines. You need a glove or something to deal with catfish. well I'll be there 7/16/16 and hope to catch anything that bites!! Good luck to you.
bear2cheese

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jul Fri 15, 2016 11:25 am

Don't need a glove, just know the location of the spines so you can get your hand behind them. Easiest way is to hold the fish, and slowly slide your hand up behind both pectoral fins and the dorsal fin, pushing your hand behind the spines on the front of each fin. You rest your thumb and index finger right up against the bony spines with the palm of your hand on the top of the fish, and the dorsal spine resting against the curve between your thumb and index finger. Squeeze firmly, but not too firm so as not to hurt the fish. You just need to squeeze enough to keep your hand close to the base of the spines, not near the sharp point, and to keep the fish from flopping.

I personally love catfish. They're fun to catch. Used to catch em all the time on Lasalle throwing leeches on a slip bobber rig up by the riprap shores. They're good eating too. Fried up catfish chunks are great!
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bobba Down » Jul Fri 15, 2016 9:31 pm

If you are reading LaSalle posts, it's not that anybody does not like catfish... it's just on a cooling lake like LaSalle they can be a nuisance.
Even throwing artifical baits, it can be hard out there to target your desired specie with the swarms of 8-10" catfish that are seemingly everywhere out there.
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Mon 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Bobba Down: I went to Heidecke and didn't get a bite. Hopefully I get the bites that you say are a nuisance. Lol that would have been a good time for me. Guess I'll try Lasalle next time.
bear2cheese

Postby JB » Jul Mon 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Heidecke has it's share of cats and nice ones to boot. Lasalle seems to have an overabundance of channel cats on the smaller side. Bait stealers.
I personally like floating chicken livers while wading on the dpr and kank. It can be a blast.
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Lasalle Lake