Buzz Bait Fun on Father's Day Weekend

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

Buzz Bait Fun on Father's Day Weekend

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Sun 21, 2020 12:38 pm

I'm spending a few days around the North Aurora area fishing the Fox.

Yesterday (Saturday) I explored the river within walking distance from my hotel. Threw a white Strike King Tri-Wing Buzz King buzz bait from shore. I have waders, but decided it would be easier and quicker to walk the shore.

Got the one pictured below plus missed 3 others. I guess buzz baits tend to miss some fish vs topwaters with treble hooks? Not sure what happened to this photo.

IMG_0479 copy.jpg

Since I did OK from shore yesterday (1 caught, 3 missed), I was really looking forward to wading today! Wading has to be better than shore fishing, right?

WRONG!!!

I got in the water near the hotel before 5 AM! Started with a whopper plopper to see if I could improve the hookup ratio. Nothing! Switched to the buzz bait. Nothing! Slowly waded upstream. Tried a swim jig, crank bait, and chatter bait. Nothing! Switched back to the buzz bait near the opposite shore. Nothing.

More than 4 hours later, a little after 9 AM, I got out on the shore. I was going to dry my waders for half an hour before returning to the hotel. So I cast the buzz bait while waiting. Third cast…wham! This guy hit near shore in bright sunlight. Amazing.

IMG_0481 copy.jpg

IMG_0483 copy.jpg

I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe just from the shore. Not sure yet. It sure was fun wading. We'll see!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Re: Buzz Bait Fun on Father's Day Weekend

Postby Rambler » Jun Sun 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Interesting. Glad to see you posting again - thought you'd fallen in. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Sun 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Ha! No…I'm still around! I plan to focus on the Fox and Dupage Rivers for the next few weeks.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Postby DPMike » Jun Sun 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Interesting read, thanks, I have always wondered what makes a fish strike or not. They can't reason only react. So why sometimes and not others? These things keep me up at night-LOL

When all is right with the fish universe, are more fish striking at all bodies of water? Another thing that keeps me up at night.

Nice fish
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Mon 22, 2020 4:38 am

Ha…Good questions. Never really thought of things like that. Looks like they'll be keeping me up nights now too.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Mon 22, 2020 9:36 am

DPMike wrote:Interesting read, thanks, I have always wondered what makes a fish strike or not. They can't reason only react. So why sometimes and not others? These things keep me up at night-LOL

When all is right with the fish universe, are more fish striking at all bodies of water? Another thing that keeps me up at night.

Nice fish

I strongly believe in windows when fishing. Obviously prefrontal conditions are usually great, but I notice once or twice a day (outside of low light periods) there seems to be feeding windows. I am often on the boat from sun up to sundown so I too will wonder why all of the sudden fish feed at 10am or 2pm then just as quickly shut down.

BTW, nice fish Ganz. Right in my neck of the woods and I never bother to explore the river for some reason.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Mon 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Clarity is improving and so will the bite. Well done on the top water, I haven't had the stones to try it yet this year. Took my old man on the fox today and we had a blast catching 4 species.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Tue 23, 2020 11:31 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Clarity is improving and so will the bite. Well done on the top water, I haven't had the stones to try it yet this year. Took my old man on the fox today and we had a blast catching 4 species.

I see that in your newest post. Amazing! You mentioned carp in that post. There are carp everywhere still! But I'm finding a few bass too. Nothing like your post though!
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Tue 23, 2020 11:43 am

I went again this morning. Caught another decent one on a buzz bait. This time I was wading when I caught it. Plus I missed several others again. Seeing the misses is almost as much fun as hooking the fish!

IMG_0484 copy.jpg

After I missed a few, I switched to a whopper plopper to see if that could improve hook ups. But I never got a hit on it. Same with a crank bait. Only a buzz bait has worked for me.

I lost my favorite tri-wing buzz bait to a snag (only had one) so I tied on just a regular black and yellow buzz bait (I got it at Bass Pro Shops, probably either a Strike King or Booyah, can't remember). And it worked as shown above.

I also saw a deer crossing the river (I wasn't fast enough for a photo) plus what I think was a beaver swimming:

IMG_0485 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Postby Brandon » Jun Sat 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Awesome report! Love seeing deer cross a river! Up to their eyeballs sometimes.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 27, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of buzzbaits after having been converted by my best friend & fishing partner several years ago.

And a huge fan of watching deer cross rivers. I see it happening frequently along the DPR. Here's a shot I took a couple of Falls ago along Salt Creek. I entered it in the Friends of the Forest Preserves photo contest but didn't win. They never even said thanks... :cry:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Sun 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Rambler wrote:I'm a HUGE fan of buzzbaits…

Me too now! Even the misses are fun! I missed 2 this morning at the Dupage. No matter where you live, you probably heard me cry out because they both startled the HECK out of me.

Rambler wrote:And a huge fan of watching deer cross rivers.

Nice photo! An amazing sight to witness.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Return to Fox River