What fall feedbag? (update)

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

What fall feedbag? (update)

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Sat 19, 2020 10:35 am

For years, i've heard about the fall feedbag. But I've never been able to verify that it exists…at least for me.

My friend and I do well in June, July, and August at the Fox around Aurora and Oswego. But in September, and October, fishing starts getting much harder for us. Despite fish supposedly feeding aggressively for the winter.

Sept 7
We had a decent day, catching a few small bass (not photo worthy) and a couple catfish (though bass are always the target).

IMG_0576 copy.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2208.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2213.jpg

Sept 8-18
We caught several small bass, maybe 4-8 inches, like the couple pictured. I tried lots of different presentations: buzzbait (of course!), Road Runner jighead with curly tailed grub, crawling or hopping a plastic worm on the bottom, suspending jerkbait, throwing Gulp minnows under a float.

All of those presentations got nothing! The only thing that worked was the Arkie crawfish crankbait shown. Or the Rebel Wee Crawfish, which is slightly bigger than the Arkie.

These have been miracle lures for small fish!

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

The small fish are fun to catch. Better than a skunk for sure. But bigger fish, even catfish, have disappeared for us.

What do you all do to catch larger fish in the fall in the Fox River?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Re: What fall feedbag?

Postby matt_ski » Sep Sun 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Forget your summer holes and cover as much water as possible. In the rivers I fished this weekend they were all over the place.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Mon 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks matt_ski. Nice fish! Hope to get a couple more like that myself before I leave the area for the winter.

Even when I tried the Fox from shore this morning, there were lots of 4-8 inch bass everywhere hitting my lure.

But the bigger ones like in your photo (and like I caught earlier this year) have disappeared for me.

I'll keep trying! I have some ideas––like a flat I know of next to a deeper channel that's only accessible by wading. We caught a couple nice ones there in the past. Just waiting for the river to drop a little more so I can try there again.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby matt_ski » Sep Mon 21, 2020 6:12 pm

No rain in the forecast for a while so let us know how it will work out.
I personally wish for a little rain. Fish could use it too I think.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Sep Tue 22, 2020 12:57 am

Love that pic! Is that a Berkely Cherrywood rod?
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Tue 22, 2020 6:43 am

It's a Daiwa rod I've had forever. I'll call it a vintage Daiwa rod.

I think it's 6' 4". My friend has it in his vehicle. Next time he and I get together, I'll see if there's more info on the rod and post it here.

(I was wrong. The rod says it's only 5 ft long. And it's a Daiwa Custom VIP. Whatever that means. I've had it for many years and it still works great. Here's a photo of the markings I found online.)

Unknown.jpeg

And I agree…that's a great photo my friend took!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Sep Tue 22, 2020 7:20 am

The fall feed bag was nonexistent for me yesterday. I told my wife before I left that I was figuring for a skunk day. Temperature dropped 30 degrees, NE wind 15-20+, bluebird skies. Ripe conditions for a no fish outing. A 6 inch bass was the skunk saver. 3 way rig for the win.

3 hours was all I could stand. Tomorrow is another day.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Tue 22, 2020 2:24 pm

Those are tough conditions! Best of luck on the next outing.

I'm headed out again soon, unplanned, sort of spur-of-the-moment. Decided to try the evening bite after a warmish day here. I usually have much better success in the morning, but thought I'd give it a try from 4:30 to 6:30 PM on such a nice fall day.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Tue 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Generally speaking, fall feed bags will be prevalent at the end of fall not at the end of summer. Good luck to everyone this fall. Hopefully the weather patterns cooperate so we all can land some donks!
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Sep Tue 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Generally speaking, fall feed bags will be prevalent at the end of fall not at the end of summer.

x2 :idea: :thumbup:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Tue 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Generally speaking, fall feed bags will be prevalent at the end of fall not at the end of summer.

Understood! Thanks!
ganz1960
Game Fish

Re: What fall feedbag? (update)

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Fri 25, 2020 3:10 pm

UPDATE: I may have spoken too soon. My report of the death of the fall feedbag may have been greatly exaggerated.

We did OK wading this morning around Aurora. At least better than we've done the last couple weeks. Today was the day of the walleye! We each caught one (photos shown). I also missed one that startled the hell out of me when it tried to grab the lure as I was lifting the lure out of the water for the next cast.

IMG_0614 copy.jpg

IMG_2523 copy.jpg

I also caught a medium-ish sized bass (see photos)––at least larger than the 4-7 inchers we've been catching lately. Though we caught several in the 4-7 inch range today as well (no photos).

IMG_2511 copy.jpg

IMG_2514 copy.jpg

I also saw 2 deer swim across the river in broad daylight about 11 AM. By the time I accessed my phone, they were running into the woods. Here's the best photo (see arrows). A fun day! And maybe a sign of the fall feedbag yet to come.

IMG_0615 copy.jpg
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Sep Fri 25, 2020 5:49 pm

No fall feedbag for me. Hit the west branch of the DuPage today for several hours. Not nothing nadda. Had several follows on a jig & double tail but they all broke off. Nice day anyhow.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Sep Fri 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Cool about having several follows! Too bad about no takers though…especially knowing how big bass can be in the DuPage!

I sure agree though…fish or no fish, it was a nice day out there today!
ganz1960
Game Fish

Return to Fox River