My last outings for the year

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

My last outings for the year

Postby ganz1960 » Oct Sat 10, 2020 3:28 pm

I tried the Fox a few times recently in the Aurora area. Today was my last outing of the season there. I head south for the winter next week.

October 7
• I missed 5 fish from shore, all on a Roadrunner jig head with a Gulp Minnow.
• Three of them may have been small bass, but 2 were definitely walleye. All from a deep pool or the surrounding shallower flat.

October 8
• I went back the next morning, with lots of anticipation given how many I had on the day before.
• You can guess what happened: skunked! Same spot, same lure, no fish, no hits.
• I did see 2 deer as I was walking the shore. Here's the best photo I managed to get:
IMG_0622 copy.jpg

October 9
• I went to a different spot and caught a few small bass like the one pictured, all on an Arkie Craw crankbait from shore.
• Lots of small bass around. Maybe a good sign of healthy and bigger fish next year.
IMG_0626 copy.jpg

October 10 (today)
• I waded with my friend today. Still lots of small bass around. They loved my Rebel Crawfish crankbait.
• After catching several, I decided to switch to something I've never tried: a Rapala Husky Jerk rattling suspending jerkbait.
• Tossed it into a deeper hole and this guy hit. One of the bigger bass I've landed recently.
IMG_0640 copy.jpg

IMG_0635 copy.jpg

• My friend also landed a tiny bass on a beetle spin. I include the photo only because it seemed to us that it's a largemouth. I don't think I've ever caught a LMB in the Fox.
IMG_2539 copy.jpg

• We also saw 2 squirrels swim across the river from one shore to the other. Another first. We've seen several animals swimming, but never squirrels!

That's it. A fun year for me on the DuPage and Fox rivers. Looking forward to trying it all again next year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Re: My last outings of the year

Postby joetrain » Oct Sat 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Hope you do well down south.
I would give up bass fishing to fish salt permanently.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Oct Sat 10, 2020 5:27 pm

I fished salt for the first time last year when I went to Texas for the winter.

Two memories I have of it:

1) the jarring hits on spoons from speckled trout, sand trout, and redfish.

2) the incredible variety of life in the saltwater environment––from amazing sea turtles to diving birds to a dolphin to jellyfish to schools of baitfish to the variety of fish I caught (some very unique or weird looking).

I look forward to trying it again!
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby badger75 » Oct Mon 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Fox has some LMB in the slower moving water or pools, by my experience.

Enjoy your winter. Hope you find time to post some of your success.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Fox River