Elgin - Fox River Update?

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

Elgin - Fox River Update?

Postby Yakdaddy » Apr Wed 04, 2018 10:07 am

I realize the weather is cold but I know you guys get out and fish anyway! I plan to head out this weekend and cast the shorelines.

Has anyone been out this spring on the Fox near the Elgin\South Elgin area? Any luck and on what types of baits, conditions, etc?

I'm not looking for your secret spots, just general information to see if the fish are moving yet.
Yakdaddy

Re: Elgin - Fox River Update?

Postby Scipio24 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 12:17 pm

I've tried a few times out in South Elgin area (Dam, some parks further south) without too much luck. The gnats were terrible, the weather was cold and the bite was dry. I tried some weight jigs, jerk bats and a few other odds and ends. Hopefully it'll turn a corner soon, but yea, been slow (for me at least) in my efforts out there.
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Yakdaddy » Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks Scott, I'll try casting jigs and spinners from shore. I may also get my kayak out and fish a couple of the warm water discharges with live bait.

I'll post the weekend activities on Monday.
Yakdaddy

Postby Phil6 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:17 pm

My buddy got a good size eye on a minnow hooked through the lip and some splitshot 1ft up, bounced off the bottom. He said it was the only fish his group caught.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Yakdaddy » Apr Thu 05, 2018 9:35 am

What do you consider a nice size walleye for the Fox River? I'm guessing around 20 inches?
Yakdaddy

Postby Phil6 » Apr Thu 05, 2018 9:48 am

Yea, not sure exact size but it looks a bit over 20 in the pic
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Scipio24 » Apr Thu 05, 2018 11:11 am

Good luck out there, Yakdaddy. This weather still sucks, however, it looks like it's going to turn a corner soon and hopefully the bite will then explode. Maybe you'll be there when the first domino falls :D
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby badger75 » Apr Thu 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Knats have been bad. Latest cold snap may help.
Water temps have been cold. Best I got was 46 degF last week. I have thrown LOTS of stuff in several warm temp producing spots - to no avail.
Good luck! I have not found them since early November.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Yakdaddy » Apr Mon 09, 2018 12:23 pm

I cast a creek mouth with a small liver jerk bait with no luck. Very slow twitches at the mouth of the creek and up the creek until it was too shallow. It was about 3 PM in the afternoon, full sun.

Nothing moving but I would like to try again when dark.
Yakdaddy

Postby Stiff Richie » Apr Mon 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Look up old original posts by Darth Wader dated this time of year. You'll learn some things. 8)
Stiff Richie

Postby Yakdaddy » May Fri 04, 2018 9:24 am

I only had about 30 minutes on Wednesday night. I was casting a 4 inch orange twister into current and pulling into the slack water. I did get two quillback (which I was hoping were smallies), one small smallie and a small white bass. Nothing of size to brag about but I did enjoy the first season tug tug of the season!

Any other updates?
Yakdaddy

Return to Fox River