Fishin Musician.. Not getting old just getting SLOWER!

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

Fishin Musician.. Not getting old just getting SLOWER!

Postby Fishin Musician » Apr Sat 28, 2018 6:36 pm

So Here is my Report. I do not post that often but I have a few years of experience on the Fox and I do truly love this river. I have been out 2 times this week and the river is pretty murky, with below visibility. When I was working out of Batavia Bait an Tackle providing Guided trips, I spent A LOT of time on the river. I actually forget sometimes the lessons learned now that I am not that often wading the Fox. I was down stream from Island park which has completely changed since the bridge at Wilson ave was replaced( Not for the better in my Opinion). I had a ferocious hit so I knew it would be a small fish and it came out of a current break not too far from shore. Was throwing Slider head and a 3 inch crank . I then had the brilliant idea to walk a ways downstream. I have crossed the Fox in many places so many times.. Here is the public service part of this report and actually the reason I'm posting. For the most part I fish alone, love the freedom, solitude and the fact my wife moved out here for me 13 years ago so I could soak the soul whenever I felt the need! I walked with the current ans I felt like a was literally gliding down to the next spot when I started to move laterally to the west and that is when reality hit me square in the face. I was stuck.. not like stuck,like glue (Thanks Sugarland) but not able to gain against current and river flow. I started to get fatigued pretty fast and for awhile figured I was going to be swimming in my waders( Not Suggested) or worse!! I used to wear a flotation vest but gave that up a long time ago , in hindsight I was smarter then than I am now.. or at least not as confident. I checked the CFSwhen I got home and it was 2400 WAY TO FAST for crossing the main channel where I had ventured but God is Good and I did not panic at the disco , got my self turned around and made it back to calmer and easier water and exited the water.. So Be careful out there , wade with someone if you can.. and never take the next step or steps for granted!!

I got out and walked the bike-trail down to a spring big fish spot. Got in did not make too much movement and fished an eddy on a current return and hooked into a 17 inch female loaded with eggs, It felt mushy when it hit and like a lot of big fish bulldogged and never showed itself till it came to hand.. My wife bought me a Grandt 007 light rod at Christmas for walleye and crappie fishing but I see that it handled smallies just as well. Hope someone gets something outof this report... Be Careful out there: The Fox River Fishin Musician
Fishin Musician
Pan Fish

Re: Fishin Musician.. Not getting old just getting SLOWER!

Postby Rich D » Apr Sat 28, 2018 7:58 pm

I have had that experience once or twice myself - many years ago now - when I likewise took the streamflow for granted and ended up "moon walking" back to shore, thanking the gods for my safe return.

Almost the same story - was attempting to cross a channel that would have been no problem during low flow.

In my case, a combination of over-eagerness and simple lack of situational awareness. The lesson remains the same, though: while it often takes a good deal of time and concentrated effort to bring good into the world, accidents only need a moment of carelessness to manifest.

Wade safely... ;)
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby jeemoosh » Apr Sat 28, 2018 10:51 pm

I have only been wading for about 4 years now. I have tried the Fox, dupage, des plaines and kank. Every time I go to somewhere new I go to the national weather service website and document the kcfs and height of a nearby reporting station. I keep this log handy and refer to it all the time. I too have been pushed around by the current and those are the times I make sure to document the day. In this short period of time I have accumulated enough info to know when to go in and when to fish the bank. Glad to hear you made it out ok and didn’t even fill up your shorts with water!!!
jeemoosh
Minnow

Postby JB » Apr Mon 30, 2018 12:40 pm

That stretch has some hills and valleys in a portion and I’ve found myself in a couple of days the valleys and not feeling comfortable at all. Spooky to say the least. Glad you found your way out of it!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Ken G » May Thu 03, 2018 6:30 am

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin...

There's a phrase I like to use...

...well that was a stupid way to die...

I was hoping to never use it in reference to you.

:P

Stay safe old man and you know this...

Check the gauges BEFORE you head out.
Ken G
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fishin Musician » May Thu 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Ken,
Hope you are doing Well!!

BEFORE would had been a Really GOOD idea! Really thought I had crossed there before at higher levels but in hindsight.. Probably NOT :shock:

Still stuck a good fish 16-17 incher down stream In an Eddy stream I know WE fished a hundred times.. The more things change some things stay the same :roll:

Good to hear from you ; Old Friend!
Fishin Musician
Pan Fish

Return to Fox River