Walter and Kitty crash the party

Fox River - Northern Illinois
Fishing Information & Reports

Walter and Kitty crash the party

Postby ganz1960 » Jul Fri 31, 2020 10:09 am

Some Fox River outings shown below and in one of the replies.

Last Sunday, a friend and I waded in the North Aurora area. IIRC, he caught 1 or 2 small bass, then hooked this walleye on an inline spinner. A good kind of uninvited guest to crash the fishing party.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 9.56.42 AM.png

I think this is his first-ever walleye and only the 2nd walleye we've caught in the years we've been fishing the Fox (I caught one a few years ago in Oswego).

Later, I got on the board with a small bass on a suspending jerk bait. I was hesitant to grab it because he was barely hooked and didn't want treble hooks in my hand. Luckily, my friend got a photo before the fish thrashed and flopped off shortly after this photo was taken.

thumbnail_IMG_1821 copy.jpg

Tuesday I went on my own and got skunked. Then this morning, I got in the water at 5 AM and started with a whopper plopper. Nothing! I just can't catch a fish on a plopper. I switched to a buzz bait and 3rd cast, I got this guy:

IMG_0512 copy.jpg

A few casts later, I got this one:

IMG_0513 copy.jpg

About 15 minutes later, I missed another one on the buzz bait. Then that bite seemed to die, so I switched to a chatter bait to get a little deeper with the rising sun. Ended up with this one:

IMG_0514 copy.jpg

I was done by about 8 AM. Fun times! We'll try again this Sunday (and I may try again on my own Saturday).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Re: Walter crashes the party

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Fri 31, 2020 11:02 am

Buzz bass, nothing better.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Walter crashes the party

Postby ganz1960 » Jul Fri 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Buzz bass, nothing better.

Agree! I can't get enough buzz bass! The whopper plopper is cool and I love its action. I just have never caught anything with it. But the buzz bait has been fantastic for me this year.

I forgot to include these 2 photos in the original post above. They're of my friend with 2 different channel cats he caught while wading with me in July in the Fox. Both on inline spinners.

When fishing for bass, unexpected channels can get your heart pounding just like buzz bass blowups!

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.39.08 PM.png

IMG_0499 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Re: Walter and Kitty crash the party

Postby Rambler » Jul Fri 31, 2020 4:37 pm

Nice going Ganz. I gotta get back to the Fox one of these days.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Spincast guy » Jul Fri 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Nice report! Good job!
Spincast guy
Pan Fish

Postby mike son » Aug Sat 01, 2020 9:14 am

Doesn't get much better than topwater smallies and a multi species outing
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby ganz1960 » Aug Sat 01, 2020 6:00 pm

mike son wrote:Doesn't get much better than topwater smallies and a multi species outing

Agree!!

Just to add to this post, I went again this morning (Saturday morning). I was wading before 5 AM and on one of my first casts, I got another one on the buzz bait. It was still dark out and I forgot how to turn on the flash on my phone. I couldn't handle the fish and adjust my phone so I snapped a photo anyway. It's bad and kind of cool at the same time.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 5.55.20 PM.png

But I didn't get any others in 3 hours of casting not only the buzz bait but a couple other lure types as well. Fun and slightly scary to be in the water when it's that dark out! A heron let out a shriek that really startled me and made me think I was in Jurassic Park.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Return to Fox River