Chicago Fishing Forum banner

My first ever whopper plopper bass

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Luckydawg13 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hit the Fox from shore in the Aurora area. Got 2 on the whopper plopper…my first ever fish of any kind on the plopper. I also missed 4 others on the plopper. All hits came from behind bridge pilings or along a rock wall.
IMG_0786 copy.jpg

IMG_0785 copy.jpg

IMG_0790 copy.jpg

Whopper skunk last year
Last season, I tried the whopper plopper several times and managed only 1 blowup all year. But I got several bass on buzzbaits.

This year I saw they came out with a smaller size plopper…the 60. I used the 90 last year and I came to believe that it was just too loud and disruptive (hence the season-long skunk) while the buzzbait was just right. This new 60 size seems great though. Just the right amount of vibration and noise.

Good thing topwaters work from shore
The river is so low that I didn't dare throw anything but topwater from shore. I'd have trouble getting back snagged lures. A weedless, weightless worm or craw may work too.

Plopper vs buzzbait
What I like about the plopper is that it floats. So I can use what little current there is to, in effect, make a longer cast from shore. I could cast downstream, keep the bail open, and let it float a long way so I could cover an entire shoreline from shore.

That said, 2 things I don't like about the plopper…1) it twists my line somewhat. I think I'll be able to live with it though. And 2) I still missed fish! One of the reasons I tried the plopper again after getting skunked last year on it was because of its 2 treble hooks and the fact that I missed several last year on the buzzbait. But the 6 hooks didn't seem to matter as I still missed hooking 4 fish today.

My takeaway so far
I plan to stick with the 60 size plopper and continue to use it, especially for floating longer shorelines. I'll also use the buzzbait though. I'll probably start with the plopper and after I catch 1 or 2, I'll switch to the buzzbait to give the fish something different.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.