Got a good Cat fish. Not sure the type or weight

Fox Chain - Antioch, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Got a good Cat fish. Not sure the type or weight

Postby SeaweedKing » Apr Mon 24, 2017 10:59 am

I caught this catfish off the chain, didn't have a scale. Was using vanilla scented carp and catfishes bait
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeaweedKing
Minnow

Re: Got a good Cat fish. Not sure the type or weight

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Mon 24, 2017 11:43 am

I would say about 4lbs which is a good size channel cat.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Apr Mon 24, 2017 1:38 pm

3-4 is a good guestimate. It's a nice, dark channel cat.

Would make a couple of nice fillets if you eat cats from that body of water.

If not the look on the little one's face is pretty cool. Kinda of a "wow....is that a fish?" look.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby threeats407 » Apr Mon 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Darkstar72 wrote:3-4 is a good guestimate. It's a nice, dark channel cat.

Would make a couple of nice fillets if you eat cats from that body of water.

If not the look on the little one's face is pretty cool. Kinda of a "wow....is that a fish?" look.

You got me wondering since perch and catfish are about all I would consider. I wonder how accurate this is:
http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-serv ... sories/map
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SeaweedKing » Apr Tue 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I am only a catch and release guy... unless the fish died because he swallowed the hook and got his insides torn up when I was bringing him in. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat fish... actually I'm like 300lbs so I love to eat in general. lol, yeah my 1.5 year old son was very confused. First catfish and it was measuring close to his size lol.

On a side not I wouldn't eat fish out of the desplaines or Chicago rivers, but I think the chain would have some good clean fish. Any reason why you wouldn't eat a fish out of the chain? Thanks guys.
SeaweedKing
Minnow

Postby RonG » Apr Tue 25, 2017 3:02 pm

SeaweedKing wrote: Any reason why you wouldn't eat a fish out of the chain? Thanks guys.

If you ever saw what the Fox looks like in Waukesha, you might think again. But, I think the chain is ok for some meals now and then.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Tue 25, 2017 4:39 pm

SeaweedKing wrote:I am only a catch and release guy... unless the fish died because he swallowed the hook and got his insides torn up when I was bringing him in. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat fish... actually I'm like 300lbs so I love to eat in general. lol, yeah my 1.5 year old son was very confused. First catfish and it was measuring close to his size lol.

On a side not I wouldn't eat fish out of the desplaines or Chicago rivers, but I think the chain would have some good clean fish. Any reason why you wouldn't eat a fish out of the chain? Thanks guys.

The Chain is fine, as are the majority of the bodies of water in Illinois. Only things I wouldn't eat fish from are the DPR, Chicago River, and the Cal Sag.

In all honesty, the DPR supports smallmouth, so that water probably isn't dirty enough to cause any issues, either. I just won't ever bother eating fish from either of those three when I can catch fish from any other body of water and eat them.

Just know that fish taste is also derived from their environment. If I eat a walleye from Heidecke, it tastes better than the walleye from the Illinois River. Or if I eat one from the Wolf River, it tastes way better than pretty much any in Illinois I've had.

The biggest concern with fish is the belly meat/fat. If you're concerned about it much you can trim the belly meat off the fillet.

Also remove the pink/brown/red strip of meat along the back of the fillet. This will give a fishy taste too.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Tue 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Wish I could eat more fish, for the health benefits. Red meat I avoid most of the time, wish I could say the same for pork. :oops:

Like most health conscious fishermen I usually deep fry my fish anyway :wink: :D
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Fox Chain O Lakes