Factory Shimano Reel Service

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Factory Shimano Reel Service

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Tue 15, 2019 11:02 pm

I recently sent in two of my reels to Shimano’s reel service center in South Carolina. This is Shimano Factory service and not an authorized service center. One I just wanted cleaned and the other was locked up. A couple days later I get a call and the tech explained that my less than 1 year old Bantam MGL needs every bearing replaced and a new gear set and it’s not under warranty because it appears the reel has been in extremely wet and or sandy conditions for extended periods of time without a proper drying out period. Well no shit Sherlock, fish are in water, that’s where we play. I literally said “wtf, how could it be that bad in less than a year?” He asked if “I’m often fishing in the rain” Guilty. “Do you fish from a beach” “No but the boat has lots of sand constantly in it” I’m hyperventilating now, I’m thinking $100 plus bill “So ok, I want my reel back how much is this going run me” “Well Mr Holmquist just the $25 cost of our cleaning service, all the replacement parts are included in that service” I said “What the hell man why didn’t you say that in the first place I already authorized a $25 clean to begin with but that’s fantastic, what about my Curado 70” he said “we replaced all the bearings on that one and did the full cleaning service” that’s a 3yr old reel. I coulda kissed him right after I beat him. Got them back Saturday and they’re both better than new. Like super tuned.

Moral of the story. If you have Shimano reels, have Shimano factory service do your cleaning and they’ll replace any needed parts for the $25 service. Authorized service centers will not replace parts under a cleaning service
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Factory Shimano Reel Service

Postby joetrain » Oct Wed 16, 2019 5:58 am

Good to know. Basic cleaning and maintenance I do myself but that service seems to be a no brainer if something else is needed.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Oct Wed 16, 2019 8:16 am

Interesting, this might be the route I take
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby SpecialEd » Oct Fri 18, 2019 7:48 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Moral of the story. If you have Shimano reels, have Shimano factory service do your cleaning and they’ll replace any needed parts for the $25 service. Authorized service centers will not replace parts under a cleaning service

So you're saying these places are NOT the same as factory service? http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/no ... nters.html

Do you have a link or further information on how to send reels in for factory service?
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Oct Fri 18, 2019 8:12 am

SpecialEd wrote: Do you have a link or further information on how to send reels in for factory service?

This.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Fri 18, 2019 1:46 pm

SpecialEd wrote:
HEDDONFROG wrote:Moral of the story. If you have Shimano reels, have Shimano factory service do your cleaning and they’ll replace any needed parts for the $25 service. Authorized service centers will not replace parts under a cleaning service

So you're saying these places are NOT the same as factory service? http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/no ... nters.html

Do you have a link or further information on how to send reels in for factory service?

Correct, those are authorized service centers not “Factory Service centers” you can call the Number on that page and request the address for the Factory Service Center in South Carolina or use the phone number the linked article below. You will need to fill out the service request PDF on their servicing page. I guess I lucked out, I didn’t know it just opened September 29th 2019

https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/article/s ... -facility/
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Tackle & Gear