Favorite lines

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Favorite lines

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 11:20 am

What are some of the brands everyone is,using these days?I been on the line traveling tour on more than one occasion and have come back to stern orig. and magna thin as well as stren products in general....had hi seas flourocoated on my crank and treble hook rod and I was not happy with it....switched to magna thin and much happier. Pline would be my next but I love stren. I use 10lb.stren braid on my spinning with a,8lb.stren flourocasr leader...12 lb.magmathin on my treble hook rod baitvaster and 50 lb.stren braid with a 15lb.stren flourocasr leader on my med hvy rod .baitvaster.
Spincast guy
Minnow

Re: Favorite lines

Postby joetrain » Mar Mon 23, 2020 11:29 am

For mono Trilene XL has always served me well. Braid I like Sufix 832 and for a leader I’m fine with Ande or Trilene Big Game.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 11:56 am

If you remember my cousin joe he is a trilene and suffix guy too...i really miss trilene iron silk ....seems like they took it off market.
Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:08 pm

I've become a dedicated PLine Floroclear guy for bass. PowerPro braid for pike, Stren for UL.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:09 pm

50 lb PowerPro on baitcasters, 20 lb PowerPro on M spinning rods, and 6-8 lb Stren mono on UL setups.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby cletedius » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Very generally speaking & subject to situational changes(or special sale prices):
-Mono: Ande. Easily the best quality mono of the "generic" , or "non-premium" brands/labels, i.e. stren, trilene, p-line, etc., IMO
-Braid/superline: nanofil on spinners (& under 17lb), powerpro on
baitcasters( or spinners 20lb test & up).
FWIW, almost everything i throw is on braid with a 6-12' leader (usually mono).

But show me a good sale & its all out the window! :lol:
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Braid - PowerPro or Sufix 832 although my ML or M vertical jigging rods and a couple panfish rods have Berkley Nanofil. I don't do a ton of bigtime slop fishing and such, so most my braid is like 10-14lb, and as low as 6 or 8lb on some of the lighter spinning gear. I need to get some heavier stuff for some of my baitcasters, though.
Fluoro - KastKing Kovert 100% Fluorocarbon and PLine Floroclear, though the latter isn't a true FC, but a co-polymer.
Mono - Don't use it all that much. I have a few cheap bulk spools for backing and things like that. if I'm throwing a topwater, most the time I'll just tie on a 6-8ft leader of mono, but that's because I don't really have a dedicated topwater rod right now. Looking to change that later this year. Need a frog rod, and a dedicated topwater rod, and then my arsenal will pretty much be complete for every technique.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Stren rules! Good to know especially when you catch fish with mouths full of sandpaper! :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Mon 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Stren for mono. Don't use it much, but like clear/blue fluorescent for jigging.

Power Pro for braid. Their 5 and 8 lb has a 1lb mono dia equivalent and that's why I don't bother with mono much.

When in California, I use neither because don't want to do any harm to my reproductive health. :idea:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby cletedius » Mar Mon 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Spincast guy wrote:https://youtu.be/KiQTvmM-1cY mono wins

Not based on results of this or the other test, but Id suggest looking at a few other tests, because this guys are beyond fatally flawed.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Mar Mon 23, 2020 2:02 pm

I like my herculean braid - Sunline FX2 for my baitcasters, it tends to be a bit more rigid so it pokes through eyelets better, it doesnt dig in on itself on a nasty backlash, and it retains its color really well from what I have found. Downside is....it comes in 50# at its lowest hahaha...so I, like Aux will drag in a laydown before losing a lure.

For my spinning reels I have been using the Berkley Nanofil braid which seems to be my winning braid line for spinning...I have no shame in my braid game.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 4:28 pm

https://youtu.be/g2ilksQgUMg mono wins again lolololo
Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Mon 23, 2020 5:03 pm

A topic I love!

Mono: I still use 12 and 15 lb Big Game for topwater; It's very cheap, casts well, good abrasion-resistance, and is dependable.

Fluoro on baitcasters: I have used 100% Trilene, P-Line Fluorocarbon, P-Line Tactical, and various Seaguar brands and they have all been very good. The only line I won't use is Vanish. I've heard it has improved since the early days but there is no reason to use it over others that I have confidence in. Like Cletedius said, I'll get whichever one I listed is on sale. 100% Trilene is often on sale at the beginning of the season.

I also use Fluoroclear on a couple baitcasters. Fresh 15 lb Fluoroclear just floats off the spool. And it is so cheap that you can change it often. Its abrasion-resistance is not as good as straight fluoro so I use it for non-bottom dredging baits such Chatterbaits, rattle traps, jerkbaits, and wake baits. I use 25 lb fluoroclear for A-Rigs for smallies . I started using it last year and it worked well.

Fluoro spinning reels: I LOVE Gamma Touch in 7 lb on a spinning reel. It casts very well, has good abrasion-resistance, and is very strong. It is my main line I use for small swimbaits which is something I have tied on just about every time I go out. Plus, without any leader it is hassle-free fishing.

Braid on spinning reels: Suffix 832, PP Super 8 Slick, Daiwa J Braid- they have all been good and none stand out over the others. My bigger issue has always been the leader line and knots, not the braid. But I do use 10 lb braid for the light stuff and 20 lb braid for heavier applications. No question that the 10 lb braid casts farther but the 20 lb is easier to tie knots with and easier to manage overall.

Leader line- GAMMA!! An opinion that I feel strongly about is using Gamma fluoro for leader line. I use 6 lb Gamma Edge (.25 mm diameter) which is comparable to other lines' 8 and 10 lb diameter. It has fantastic abrasion-resistance which is the most important quality to me in a fluoro leader line considering I fish for smallies so often. Last year, I was using some P-Line Tactical and was breaking off too often, I switched to Gamma and it was noticeably better. It is easily the best leader line I have used and I have gone through a bunch.

For what it's worth...
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Mon 23, 2020 5:45 pm

People use Fluorocarbon over Mono for many reasons, none of which are for strength or abrasion resistance. Neither fluoro nor mono are any good at being abrasion resistant. Go braid if that's your concern.

But the two main reasons you use Fluoro over mono is mainly because fluoro is more dense and it sinks faster. When you need a bait to get down in the strike zone, fluoro is a better option.

The second reason people use fluoro, especially as leader line, is because its allows more natural light to pass through it, making it less visible to fish. As oppose to mono which reflects more light making it more visible.

Each line has its purpose and I wouldn't say any is better than the other so I have no real preference.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:

People use Fluorocarbon over Mono for many reasons, none of which are for strength or abrasion resistance. Neither fluoro nor mono are any good at being abrasion resistant. Go braid if that's your concern.

But the two main reasons you use Fluoro over mono is mainly because fluoro is more dense and it sinks faster. When you need a bait to get down in the strike zone, fluoro is a better option.

The second reason people use fluoro, especially as leader line, is because its allows more natural light to pass through it, making it less visible to fish. As oppose to mono which reflects more light making it more visible.

Each line has its purpose and I wouldn't say any is better than the other so I have no real preference.
Understood but the tests are surprising since mono beat both flouoro and braid in abrasion restance.....floyro is always touted as more abrasion resitanr than mono and it simply not true. Also stren magna thin sinks just as fast as flouoro due to its small diameter...I agree they all have pluses and minuses but I have been coming back to mono.
Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:A topic I love!

Mono: I still use 12 and 15 lb Big Game for topwater; It's very cheap, casts well, good abrasion-resistance, and is dependable.

Fluoro on baitcasters: I have used 100% Trilene, P-Line Fluorocarbon, P-Line Tactical, and various Seaguar brands and they have all been very good. The only line I won't use is Vanish. I've heard it has improved since the early days but there is no reason to use it over others that I have confidence in. Like Cletedius said, I'll get whichever one I listed is on sale. 100% Trilene is often on sale at the beginning of the season.

I also use Fluoroclear on a couple baitcasters. Fresh 15 lb Fluoroclear just floats off the spool. And it is so cheap that you can change it often. Its abrasion-resistance is not as good as straight fluoro so I use it for non-bottom dredging baits such Chatterbaits, rattle traps, jerkbaits, and wake baits. I use 25 lb fluoroclear for A-Rigs for smallies . I started using it last year and it worked well.

Fluoro spinning reels: I LOVE Gamma Touch in 7 lb on a spinning reel. It casts very well, has good abrasion-resistance, and is very strong. It is my main line I use for small swimbaits which is something I have tied on just about every time I go out. Plus, without any leader it is hassle-free fishing.

Braid on spinning reels: Suffix 832, PP Super 8 Slick, Daiwa J Braid- they have all been good and none stand out over the others. My bigger issue has always been the leader line and knots, not the braid. But I do use 10 lb braid for the light stuff and 20 lb braid for heavier applications. No question that the 10 lb braid casts farther but the 20 lb is easier to tie knots with and easier to manage overall.

Leader line- GAMMA!! An opinion that I feel strongly about is using Gamma fluoro for leader line. I use 6 lb Gamma Edge (.25 mm diameter) which is comparable to other lines' 8 and 10 lb diameter. It has fantastic abrasion-resistance which is the most important quality to me in a fluoro leader line considering I fish for smallies so often. Last year, I was using some P-Line Tactical and was breaking off too often, I switched to Gamma and it was noticeably better. It is easily the best leader line I have used and I have gone through a bunch.

For what it's worth...
very strong selection.
Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Mon 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Interesting topic as there is no wrong answers all the lines mentioned are very solid.
Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby mack » Mar Thu 26, 2020 3:48 pm

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got in my pajamas I'll never know.
mack
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Mar Thu 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Mack: You for got to give credit to the late, great Groucho. But you're right - it's a great line.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Thu 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Braid powerpro or 832. But oddly i like this dirt cheap chinese line its kind of like what powerpro slick wants to be. Its slick but very durable. At least half the price of the typical braids we buy.

SeaKnight Monster W8 Braided Lines 8 Strand

Lighter lines mainly settled into nanofil. Most often always with a fluoro leader. Not picky on brand although seaquar has the edge for me.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Fri 27, 2020 12:13 am

My current predicament is I have 4 spinning reels. All have 15lb fluorescent yellow line. 2 are Suffix 832 and the other power pro...I can’t for the life of me remember which is which. I know that 2 of them didn’t retain their bright yellow color, which is a common 832 issue and that one has been much better with abrasion resistance. The other holds its color but I’m constantly cutting out nicks and having to retie. I want to replace with the abrasion resistant one but totally clueless which one it is. Might take some of your recommendations and get something entirely different
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Mar Fri 27, 2020 9:04 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:My current predicament is I have 4 spinning reels. All have 15lb fluorescent yellow line. 2 are Suffix 832 and the other power pro...I can’t for the life of me remember which is which. I know that 2 of them didn’t retain their bright yellow color, which is a common 832 issue and that one has been much better with abrasion resistance. The other holds its color but I’m constantly cutting out nicks and having to retie. I want to replace with the abrasion resistant one but totally clueless which one it is. Might take some of your recommendations and get something entirely different

can you cut a small piece of line and count the threads? Sufix 832 is an 8 carrier braid. Original power pro is 4 carrier
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Fri 27, 2020 9:22 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:My current predicament is I have 4 spinning reels. All have 15lb fluorescent yellow line. 2 are Suffix 832 and the other power pro...I can’t for the life of me remember which is which. I know that 2 of them didn’t retain their bright yellow color, which is a common 832 issue and that one has been much better with abrasion resistance. The other holds its color but I’m constantly cutting out nicks and having to retie. I want to replace with the abrasion resistant one but totally clueless which one it is. Might take some of your recommendations and get something entirely different

LOL- I thought I was the only one that got my braids mixed up on multiple spinning reels. I was told by a knowledgeable fisherman that YGK G-Soul braid was the smoothest, farthest casting braid he'd ever used and he'd used all the braids that have been mentioned. Expensive but he says it is worth it.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fishy Bitch » Mar Fri 27, 2020 10:27 am

I guess I'm the only one here that uses Fireline, been using it since 92 or 93, it has never let me down.
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Postby cletedius » Mar Fri 27, 2020 11:52 am

Fishy Bitch wrote:I guess I'm the only one here that uses Fireline, been using it since 92 or 93, it has never let me down.

Not at all, I am a fan.
I use it a ton(4-14lb test, starts to get pretty thick over 14lb) & actually do like it on spinning reels. Given a choice of nanofil or fireline, Id choose nano most of the time, but their characteristics are almost identical & the choice most often comes to price, but If im being perfectly honest, I couldnt say with 100% confidence that 10lb nano & 8lb fireline are not the same exact line in different packaging! Much the same way Im not so sure 10lb trilene XT is not the exact same line as 12lb trilene XL. The lb test ratings on most lines are mostly abrbitrary & determined by marketing depts more than labs, IMO. When it comes to braid, diameter is a more important measurement than the strength.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Sat 28, 2020 12:58 am

FloridaRigger wrote:

can you cut a small piece of line and count the threads? Sufix 832 is an 8 carrier braid. Original power pro is 4 carrier

Thanks FR, that’s definitely worth giving a shot
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Spincast guy » Mar Sat 28, 2020 11:49 am

I love stren braid on my spinning and my mh baitcaster....reasonably priced....my only beef is I wished it came in more color choices
Spincast guy
Minnow

Postby badger75 » Mar Sat 28, 2020 1:48 pm

He's so bright, his mother called him son.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » Mar Sat 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Goodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are? Jimmy Durante
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Mar Sun 29, 2020 7:30 am

Badger - you're showing your age. Most WCFers are probably wondering, "Jimmy who?"
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Mar Sun 29, 2020 7:55 am

I got it.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Sun 29, 2020 10:50 am

joetrain wrote:I got it.

Only because you're an old fart. I clearly remember him walking through the spotlights at the end of his show. Glorious black & white. Those were the days!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Mar Sun 29, 2020 2:27 pm

badger75 wrote:oodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are? Jimmy Durante Who was Mrs Calabash anyway, always wondered.

badger75 wrote:Goodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are? Jimmy Durante
Who was Mrs Calabash anyway, always wondered.
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby cletedius » Mar Sun 29, 2020 2:34 pm

tacklebox wrote:
badger75 wrote:Goodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are? Jimmy Durante Who was Mrs Calabash anyway, always wondered

As I understood the origins, Ms. Calabash ( may/may not have been an actual name)was a (struggling?) waitress in a diner who 1 time served Durante a meal latenight after a performance early on in his career, & the 2 had a nice conversation. Supposedly this was their only meeting ever. Kind of a neat story if the version I heard is actually based in any kind of reality.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » Mar Sun 29, 2020 8:48 pm

I am not a day over 39...…. Jack Benny

so if I am 39 and Rambler is 39 (same "logic"), what does that make RonG?

They can google Jimmy D. With a nose like that, you had to like the guy. Oh, wait, that's not PC...... :oops:
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 30, 2020 8:51 am

cletedius wrote:As I understood the origins, Ms. Calabash ( may/may not have been an actual name)was a (struggling?) waitress in a diner who 1 time served Durante a meal latenight after a performance early on in his career, & the 2 had a nice conversation. Supposedly this was their only meeting ever. Kind of a neat story if the version I heard is actually based in any kind of reality.

Great story - I hope it's true.

badger75 wrote:They can google Jimmy D. With a nose like that, you had to like the guy. Oh, wait, that's not PC......

Jimmy wouldn't be offended. He made $$$$$ off of that nose.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Mar Mon 30, 2020 9:15 am

cletedius wrote:
tacklebox wrote:
badger75 wrote:Goodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are? Jimmy Durante Who was Mrs Calabash anyway, always wondered

As I understood the origins, Ms. Calabash ( may/may not have been an actual name)was a (struggling?) waitress in a diner who 1 time served Durante a meal latenight after a performance early on in his career, & the 2 had a nice conversation. Supposedly this was their only meeting ever. Kind of a neat story if the version I heard is actually based in any kind of reality.
That was a great story, but you would think there was more to it than a one time thing.
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby badger75 » Apr Wed 01, 2020 3:17 pm

here is one version of the story.
http://www.skypoint.com/members/schutz19/durante.htm

and this from Wikipedia
Durante's radio show was bracketed with two trademarks: "Inka Dinka Doo" as his opening theme, and the invariable signoff that became another familiar national catchphrase: "Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are." For years no one knew who Mrs. Calabash referred to and Durante preferred to keep the mystery alive. One theory was that it referred to the owner of a restaurant in Calabash, North Carolina, where Durante and his troupe had stopped to eat. He was so taken by the food, the service, and the chitchat he told the owner that he would make her famous. Since he did not know her name, he referred to her as "Mrs. Calabash".[10] Another idea was that it was a personal salute to his deceased wife, Jeanne..."Calabash" might have been a mangle of Calabasas, the California city where they made their home during the last years of her life. His friend and co-star, Candy Candido, (in an interview with Chuck Shaden's Speaking of Radio in 1988), reported that he met the actual woman in Chicago when traveling with Durante, but was sworn to keep the secret. Alternatively, Jimmy's friend and radio producer, Phil Cohan revealed to Chuck Shaden's Speaking of Radio interview in 1988 that it was a fabrication. Needing a closing to his show, the writers tossed around several names, settling on Cohan's calabash pipe as the best-sounding moniker.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Tackle & Gear