Travel / Lend Rod

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Travel / Lend Rod

Postby Father Sergius » Apr Sat 17, 2021 9:49 pm

I'm looking to buy a two piece rod (and reel) I can keep in a rod case in my trunk and lend out to friends, no matter their skill level. I was thinking a 6'6" M or MH Ugly Stick with mid-priced Zebco would be a good match. I could put on spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, cranks, or swimbaits (basically, anything that keeps them engaged as opposed to slowly twitching a shakey head, or watching for line twitches, or explaining detailed techniques, etc).

1. Any thoughts on the Zebco vs similar set-up in spinning?

2. Different rod choice?

3. Thoughts on line? I could go 8 or 10 lb mono but I'm leaning toward nanofil or fireline so I don't have to think about memory and the Palomar knot is so easy to teach.

Thanks!
Father Sergius
Minnow

Re: Travel / Lend Rod

Postby FloridaRigger » Apr Sat 17, 2021 11:09 pm

1. depends on your friends. I would only go zebco if they cant use a spinning reel or dont want to learn how. if you do go zebco get the 2016 platinum, we've had good luck with that model. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IMK5A9Q/re ... UTF8&psc=1

2. ugly stick should be fine for the techniques you listed and if you're worried about friends breaking a rod. I'd go medium over MH.

3. 10lb Trilene XL sounds good to me. I doubt nanofil would work on a zebco and fireline isnt a good bet either.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » Apr Sun 18, 2021 12:12 am

That's what my trunk rod was for the longest time - 6'6" M 2-piece Ugly Stik. Replace crap kit reel (now or when it falls apart) with something decent - Shimano Sienna FG is cheap and color-matched this year, add some mono - I am partial to 8 lb Stren, and you have yourself a decent rod. It's not super-sensitive, and the action is kinda mediumish, but it catches fish.
I tried Zebco 33 (?), hated it, kept getting line in the clutch, and could never figure it out. It's still gathering dust somewhere.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Apr Sun 18, 2021 12:44 pm

If you're dedicated to the spincast idea check out Daiwas - they're pretty sweet. MUCH better than Zebcos.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Father Sergius » Apr Thu 22, 2021 1:04 pm

I'm picking up an Ugly Stick Elite 7' MF 2 pc and Pflueger President XT in the next few days,. Still undecided on straight mono or nanofil or fireline. I hate throwing away a giant spool of mono every year. And the Palomar knot is so easy to teach. We'll see.
Father Sergius
Minnow

Postby FloridaRigger » Apr Thu 22, 2021 2:13 pm

not a fan of nanofil or fireline myself. I'd go with sufix 832 or regular power pro 20lb
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Sat 24, 2021 9:31 am

Check out PLine Fluoroclear. Best of fluoro without all the line memory. Cheap too so AACB certified. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Tackle & Gear