Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Any decent GP bass baitcasting reel around $250 or less?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Luckydawg13 
#1 ·
2011 was the last time I dropped some serious coin and got myself some decent reels. I have a bias for baitcasting reels with brake pins over magnetic brakes. Back then it seemed guys would park their magnetic brakes at maxed out position and would still have to be mindful of backlash on their Abu. I'm not that serious I don't care if I loose a few feet of casting distance. Plus aftermarket Bocas ceramics bearings made my Shimanos cast far enough for me and are still functioning perfectly well after 10 years, but I didn't abuse them.

Everything seems different now with no baitcasting reels under 7:0 gear ratios. Some higher end Shimanos with electronic assist braking systems, I'll pass on that. Seen lots of gear ratios at 8:0 plus. Not that I ever huge into throwing large, deep diving cranks but I don't understand how these newer high gear ratio reels can can handle them. I like the option on a general purpose baitcasting reel to handle some cranks but still be fast enough to get buzzbaits going.

Anyways I'm looking for a complimentary bc reel for a Avid series Croix 7', mh, fast rod.

My gal can handle a baitcasting reel but there circumstances when we're handing out casting rods to novice anglers and popping out a few brake pins kept noobs out of trouble.

I know respected anglers in the past use to post good things about Lews. Your thoughts on makes and models to consider.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 1st Gen Lew's Speed Spool lefty with a 5.6/1 ratio and one of the older BB-1 reels with 6.4/1 ratio and I love both of those reels. I like them as much as my Revos. Very smooth casting, no-nonsense reels that just plain work. Either would be worth considering as all-around reels IMO.

#5 ·
Mike - try browsing eBay. Lots of baitcasters - Lews, Quantum, ABU, etc. With centrifugal and magnetic (or both) brakes. New & used. Not only under $250 but even lower.

#7 ·
The Upper Tier BPS casters have pins, rumor is they're made by Lew's too. They're more "elegant" looking than Lew's generally are. I have the Signature which is well below your price point but it is a good lookin reel and casts ultra smooth.

#8 ·
Currently, my favorite casting reel is daiwa alphas ct sv in 6:1 gear ratio. This reel can handle just about anything in bass fishing. Comes with a big bronze gear so it will last a long while. Very simple design for easy maintenance. It cast far and has narrow spool. Some might think it does not have enough line capacity, but I keep mine spooled with 20 and 30 lb braid (yes I have two of them) and it holds over 100 yards. It does however have a comparatively slower retrieve per crank (don't remember the ipt now).
Overall very robust little reel than can handle a lot.

I got both of mine for less than 250 shipped. It can be found on eBay for about the same amount.

#9 ·
I have that same St Croix 7 ' MH rod and put a Abu Garcia reel on it I went with the 7:3 HS put their is a 6:6 also I'm vary happy with the Revo Cabelas had them on sale in the spring I got mine for $115
Right now I think they are $160 again I'm vary happy with it

#10 ·
I would second the idea of looking on fleabay or other auction sites for an older model of your choice.

I bought a Shimano 200 E5 and 50Mg a few years ago that looked like they hadn't hardly been fished and are still going strong today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.