Switch to full site
Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.
Forum rules
Post a reply

How's your GAS lately?

Jan Fri 22, 2016 11:46 am

I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Jan Fri 22, 2016 11:57 am

Let the waiting game begin. Or u can invest in a 12pk and come hit some hard water. Ps for gas you should take a teaspoon of yellow mustard followed by some warm water. The mustard seeds and turmeric will rid the symptoms in 10 min. That's why mustard got the call for a condiment on things like hot dogs...not only for taste but for its ability to help with stomach issues. Works every time. :D

Jan Fri 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Got that lexa in lefty last year. Smooth stuff. May not have the overall castability as a Abu, but half the price. Now let's see how she hOlds up.

Jan Fri 22, 2016 1:07 pm

polishfly wrote:my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall

Oh man , it only gets worse each year. Nice selection. :thumbup:

Jan Fri 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Man you got me hooked on that XPS minnow. I bought 4 and am going back for 2 more tomorrow. ~JOE~

Jan Fri 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Nice stuff.

polishfly wrote:I went feather treble crazy
That is a lot of feathers. If they don't catch any fish you can always make a down pillow.

Is the last picture whopper plopper 90s?

Jan Fri 22, 2016 4:47 pm

joetrain wrote:Man you got me hooked on that XPS minnow. I bought 4 and am going back for 2 more tomorrow. ~JOE~

Which one is your favorite color Joe?

ohoffm wrote:Is the last picture whopper plopper 90s?

Those are the 130s, I have a 90 but its tiny compared to these guys at 1 3/8oz. The feathers are a double edge sword...great action, but its like losing 2 lures at once when I snag up cause they are pricey as hell.

Jan Fri 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Which one is your favorite color Joe?

So far the gold has been killer and the one that is greenish. It almost resembles a pike. The pearl has produced as well. ~JOE~

Jan Fri 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Are those Whopper Ploppers? I was excited to see that a company built them. I only saw them on Larry Dahlberg's show.

Darn it!!! Now I'm gonna have to pull the trigger and get some!! ;-)

It's one of those GOOD kind of problems!!

Jan Fri 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Here's a pic of the cheapest lure I bought this winter. It was 6 bucks at cabelas and I am way more happy with that lure than others that cost 3× as much.

IMG_20160122_37965.jpg

Also picked up a cardiff. Paired it with an 8 ft tooth tamer all purpose, 65lb pp.

20160122_165217-1.jpg

Might share some more later on this winter.

Polishfly, why wait till spring? You work weekends or fish weekends? Anything in the upper 20's temperature wise I'm casting on the dpr. Its not all iced over :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jan Fri 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Darkstar72 wrote:Are those Whopper Ploppers?

YUP! I want em ALL!

Aux Pleins wrote:Polishfly, why wait till spring? You work weekends or fish weekends? Anything in the upper 20's temperature wise I'm casting on the dpr. Its not all iced over :wink:

Oh I know I know =) I couldn't just stare at it...I got out today, river is down about 4 feet from 2 weeks ago and at least 2 feet since last Friday. Managed to snag a nasty carp other than that nothing going today. Carp fought well, snagged him like a baitfish through the back so he had full power and the new rod held up really nicely. Ploppers look and sound bad ass too!

Jan Fri 22, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm right there with ya. So far I've acquired an 8ft daiwa dx8 swimbait rod 2 sixgill rods and two lews super duty reels, with another one to be purchased soon. Couple whopper ploppers, punch and flipping set ups, and a few big swimbaits. To just name a few. The boxes of lures are stacking up quick

Jan Sat 23, 2016 8:27 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Here's a pic of the cheapest lure I bought this winter. It was 6 bucks at cabelas and I am way more happy with that lure than others that cost 3× as much.

There are many quality baits out there that don't cost 15-20 bucks. Good find.

Jan Sat 23, 2016 8:28 am

photo 2 [511199].JPG
Tatula Type R (list price $200) paid $133 shipped free from Amazon + rebate of Huk Daiwa Sweatshirt ($54 value)

Very happy with this deal.

Jan Sat 23, 2016 6:05 pm

I love that color scheme on the Tatula, nice pick up! Saw those at Lee's today and drooled a bit. Of course my GAS kicked in while there and I had to get more stuff! Great price on these double bladed inline spinners which seem to be pretty light for the size of the blades and of course...more feathers!

0123161659a-1.jpg

Jan Sun 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Picked these up today, older dadsons. Basically done picking baits up this winter, might get a toro winch or Cardiff haven't decided yet.

Jan Sun 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Also reallly dig those whopper ploppers.

Jan Sun 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Love me some spinnerbaits. All good stuff up above. Always good to get a few 5 dollar spinners for the bag. Those dadsons are nice looking, hope you didn't get killed on the price..

If you guys are looking for quality stuff, check out http://www.PikeDreamers.com , they're local. Endless combinations you can customize all from their website. Best stuff I've found yet.

Jan Sun 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Pike dreamers.. I've been looking at those for awhile and haven't pulled the plug. Nice stuff on that website. X2 on the spinnerbaits and cheap ones. Caught 2 33inch+ pike in the dpr on micro pond magic spinner baits last late winter.

Jan Sun 24, 2016 5:24 pm

I just relieved some serious GAS, and started a new chapter in my fishing life, all at the same time! Last week I received my first kayak, from ACK, a FeelFree Lure 10. Also got some necessary accessories for it: a quality paddle, 3lb folding anchor, anchor trolley kit, ram mounts and a socket swing arm for my Lowrance and transducer that attach to sliding clips on the yak, and some garage hang straps. Got some prep work that will carry me through the winter before my maiden voyage in the spring.

Jan Sun 24, 2016 8:08 pm

I have too much crap, this is half of the bass stuff not including plastics and flipping/pitching jigs. I really need to downsize to half of what I have, my tackle bag weighs about as much as my trolling motor battery. :oops: I don't like the color selections I have going on either.

This is consolidating all the stuff I could 'find' from various tackle boxes to little pocket cases I put in my jacket when I'm river fishing on foot.

Jan Sun 24, 2016 8:10 pm

JW that Yak purchase may haunt you at the tail end of winter...that wait will be excruciating! But I dig the GAS! Can't wait to see pics of the finished vessel.

Hoffman-where did you grab those Dadsons? What do you think the weight is on em?

I ran that large BigTooth spinnerbait on my new combo over the weekend and it was definitely at the max for what that rod can handle and probably actually a bit too much. Casting wasn't bad but that huge willow made a lot of resistance, may swap it for a smaller blade. Maybe if I run it much slower it may behave better. I'm itching to check out the double blade inlines, never had em before!

Jan Sun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Picked up a Abu Garcia toro winch and paired with a bps musky rod, it feels pretty well balanced. Also, just filled up the tackle box with some odds and end, some bigger pike/ski baits too.

Jan Mon 25, 2016 10:17 am

I'm with Catchafew - got way too much crap - and I mean CRAP. I unloaded a South Bend convertible spin/fly rod on eBay a few weeks ago. Got $15.00 for it! Can't remember why I bought it in the 1st place. And like all 'convertible' things (except sports cars) it wasn't very good at either thing it was for - spin or fly.

Early last year I gave an old buddy an old Abu Garcia spinning rod and Cardinal 7 series. I just sent him the manual for the reel - found it while rummaging through all sorts of - yep more CRAP - in the basement. He says he needs glasses to read the manual and he's a year younger than me!

I've given away 2 old Plano boxes and consolidated more CRAP from each in another old, smaller Plano and an ammo can - my wife is thrilled! If I had time I'd take a stall at a flea market and sell some other CRAP that some folks might consider collectible. But who wants the bother? If you know anyone who wants a vintage Shakespeare spincast reel from the late 50s or early 60s let me know. I'm sure we can work something out.

But having said all this I'm jonesing for a new fly rod since I intend to get back into fly fishing after 20 years away from it. I'm thinking a Cabelas is probably the best compromise between quality and price. I'm going with a 5 weight which seems to be about right. I found a spare spool for my old Pflueger Medalist on eBay for around $7.00. I'll put 5 wt on it - got 7 wt on the original spool. And what's the deal with prices on fly gear? I'd love to buy American made but $400-$800 (or more) for a rod? REALLY???

And like JW I could wind up getting a new kayak but it's a struggle. I have a perfectly fine 9 foot sit-on-top so justifying a new one is tough - especially considering my minimalist tendencies. But you never know...

Jan Mon 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Rambler, it's never good when you're expecting GAS and end up with CRAP, haha

Jan Mon 25, 2016 8:12 pm

J.W. wrote:Rambler, it's never good when you're expecting GAS and end up with CRAP, haha

:lol:

Jan Tue 26, 2016 7:50 pm

rigmewacky wrote:
J.W. wrote:Rambler, it's never good when you're expecting GAS and end up with CRAP, haha

:lol:

Hah! Reminds me of some advice my old man gave many years ago. The 3 rules for old men:

1. Never pass by a bathroom
2. Never ignore a hard on
3. Never trust a fart

BTW J.W. seems to me we met in Dec. at Beck. I stopped to talk when you were practicing skip casts. Old guy in camo rain gear.

Jan Tue 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Oh yeah! That was me. I didn't even think to ask if you were a WCF'r

Jan Tue 26, 2016 8:12 pm

This thread inspired me to put in another cabelas order the other night. Nothing special, bunch of line and some vibrating jigs

Jan Wed 27, 2016 12:20 am

This is my prized acquisition in the off season. If anyone has ever tried looking for this they know how hard one of these is to find. I've been looking off and on for three years since I saw the one Bob aka "cranked" had.
image.jpeg

Jan Wed 27, 2016 7:28 am

Rambler wrote: And what's the deal with prices on fly gear? I'd love to buy American made but $400-$800 (or more) for a rod? REALLY???

It's like golf. Companies are gonna charge what people are willing to pay for...and people are willing to pay a lot of money for some reason. There's no graphite in the world that warrants a $900 price tag.

As far as American Made, I'm sure 90% of the components on a rod are manufactured overseas. So at best, you're getting an Assembled In America rod.

Jan Wed 27, 2016 9:45 am

Dr: No doubt you're correct. It's the 'inelastic pricing' model.

But I cringe at the comparison of fishing and golf. I played golf once back in '71 or '72 and promised myself to never make that mistake again and I've kept the promise. No doubt this has effected my career - I've witnessed many poorly thought through business deals being concluded on the golf course by senior management types.

Re: American made. I've accepted that I'll have to buy an Asian-made rod since I'm not quite crazy enough to spend several hundred on something I might break by doing something stupid (it's been known to happen). But what about line? In the mono world most line is US-made but I can't seem to figure out what fly brands are US made. Any thoughts?

Jan Wed 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Last round of GAS till ice out I hope. I think I have just about everything I need and I'm pretty sure I can't fit anything else in my new upgraded larger tackle bag...the next one will need wheels. Got some more XPS jerkbaits, some BPS cranks to see how they work, a red mini Whopper Plopper for the river in Indiana, some jigs and a whole lineup of badass frogs, and cant forget feather hooks! Also making a rod holder/gearbox for the back of my yak. My 2 Lexa 100s are with AC Slayer for a tuneup and I'll be picking up some new braid...other than that I'm ready for the fishing apocalypse.

0127162113a.jpg

Jan Thu 28, 2016 12:45 am

polishfly wrote:Last round of GAS till ice out I hope. I think I have just about everything I need and I'm pretty sure I can't fit anything else in my new upgraded larger tackle bag...the next one will need wheels. Got some more XPS jerkbaits, some BPS cranks to see how they work, a red mini Whopper Plopper for the river in Indiana, some jigs and a whole lineup of badass frogs, and cant forget feather hooks! Also making a rod holder/gearbox for the back of my yak. My 2 Lexa 100s are with AC Slayer for a tuneup and I'll be picking up some new braid...other than that I'm ready for the fishing apocalypse.

Good choice on AC Slayer for your reels. Ben does a great job.

0127162113a.jpg

Jan Thu 28, 2016 9:21 pm

This weeks haul lol

Jan Thu 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Went to the Fishing Show today with my buddy and I'm proud to say I did really good! I only got 1 thing :) My first e-bait! We'll see if its worth the hype but for $15 I couldn't pass up the custom tech bait since every other mass produced e-bait right now is at that price tag or higher. I will be going in after this one though if it snags up on something. Good size for pike and big bass. Inventor was the guy selling em from Kentucky and was a really cool dude!

0128162028a.jpg

Jan Fri 29, 2016 12:05 am

i've been good so far this winter. my only purchase thus far has been a kastking rod rack which I highly recommend. so much better than the POS orgranized fishing rack I had before. I do have a $100 BPS giftcard burning a hole in my pocket. trying to hold out to the spring classic and do a rod trade in for one of the new Mojo bass rods.

Jan Sun 31, 2016 9:31 pm

The new mojo bass rods are pretty nice. Saw them at the show today, which I had gotten some gas at

Jan Sun 31, 2016 11:30 pm

Ooops.
0131162206a.jpg

Feb Wed 03, 2016 10:04 am

Ordered this on Saturday but with a Yamaha.

Feb Wed 03, 2016 11:35 am

^^^Oh baby that is some serious gas. ~JOE~

Feb Thu 04, 2016 5:19 pm

I've been meaning to take some pics of all my gear and lures but if my wife actually sees how much crap I have she'll know I have a serious problem :D

Feb Thu 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Haha I know what you mean. I've been hiding this for some time now

Feb Fri 05, 2016 6:03 am

Upgraded most of my baitcasters. Cant wait for spring.

Feb Fri 05, 2016 9:18 am

Kris D. wrote:Upgraded most of my baitcasters. Cant wait for spring.

Oh joy ....Now he can cast further :wink: j/k

Feb Fri 05, 2016 10:37 am

In my battle to rid myself of crap I sold an old rod on eBay to a guy in TN...YAY!!

Feb Fri 05, 2016 10:43 am

stanky

Feb Fri 05, 2016 2:16 pm

polishfly wrote:Last round of GAS till ice out I hope. I think I have just about everything I need and I'm pretty sure I can't fit anything else in my new upgraded larger tackle bag...the next one will need wheels. Got some more XPS jerkbaits, some BPS cranks to see how they work, a red mini Whopper Plopper for the river in Indiana, some jigs and a whole lineup of badass frogs, and cant forget feather hooks! Also making a rod holder/gearbox for the back of my yak. My 2 Lexa 100s are with AC Slayer for a tuneup and I'll be picking up some new braid...other than that I'm ready for the fishing apocalypse.

0127162113a.jpg

You know have serious GAS when your loading up on Frogs and the lakes are frozen.

Feb Fri 05, 2016 5:20 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:You know have serious GAS when your loading up on Frogs and the lakes are frozen.
It is awesome when they blow through the weed mat and crush the frog. It would be even more awesome and WCF youtube channel worthy if you could get one to blow through 9" of ice to crush it.

Feb Fri 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:Ordered this on Saturday but with a Yamaha.

Dream machine! Cant wait for the unboxing post.
Post a reply