How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 08, 2019 8:49 am

FloridaRigger wrote:100lb braid does exist, I have it on my musky rod. I dont think anyone uses more than 65lb for bass

St Croix makes 2 piece rods from the $80 Triumph all the way up to their $400 Legend Elite series

Guess I should have known. 65 lb line for bass? How about bazookas for whitetail?
I don't consider St. Croix a boutique rod maker. Thanks anyway.

Woohoodude11 wrote:I use 120 lb. for my Deeper Sonar, and it does go heavier.

Why don't you just use nylon rope?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jul Tue 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Rambler wrote:
Guess I should have known. 65 lb line for bass? How about bazookas for whitetail?
I don't consider St. Croix a boutique rod maker. Thanks anyway.

It is not really about the breaking strength for braid but the line diameter. I have never broken braid on any fish even going down to 10 lb on spinning rigs. 65 lb braid is 16 lb mono diameter which is just about right for a baitcaster. I go mostly 50 lb but I do have 65 lb on my frog rig. The thicker stuff is easier to pick out backlashes.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Jul Tue 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Some boat GAS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Wed 10, 2019 6:00 am

Thats some serious Battery GAS. About $600 worth..
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Wed 10, 2019 7:16 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:waterproof with Gortex

"You might get soaked but dammit at least the top of your head is bone dry!!!"
Rambler wrote:Why don't you just use nylon rope?

I snap casted it on 30 lb. braid already. Just wanted to end any possibility of that happening again :lol: That thing is 4 ounces so I can only imagine the pulling strength it generates on a cast.
Bassin' Ted wrote:I do have 65 lb on my frog rig.

x2, 65 does well at cutting pad stems when a bass wraps around em. Haven't lost a fish in the weeds yet.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Jul Wed 10, 2019 11:20 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Thats some serious Battery GAS. About $600 worth..

Yeah, the blue tops are pricey. Got a $50 off code for each battery online at advanced auto zone. 22 back for my old cores. Total ended up being about 480 which is not so bad.

My last set of AGMs were already a year old when I bought the boat and I got 5 good years out of them so I cant complain.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Phil6 » Jul Wed 10, 2019 1:25 pm

And I thought buying 18650s sucked :shock:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby FishinMatt » Jul Wed 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Well, blew a bearing on the way home from southern Wisco today. Hopefully that is all it is and the spindle/axle is not screwed. Supposed to be leaving for a 2 week trip Saturday so that really blows.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby big jay » Jul Wed 10, 2019 5:14 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Well, blew a bearing on the way home from southern Wisco today. Hopefully that is all it is and the spindle/axle is not screwed. Supposed to be leaving for a 2 week trip Saturday so that really blows.

It's better to happen now than while you're on your way on your trip.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Jul Wed 10, 2019 7:28 pm

big jay wrote:
FishinMatt wrote:Well, blew a bearing on the way home from southern Wisco today. Hopefully that is all it is and the spindle/axle is not screwed. Supposed to be leaving for a 2 week trip Saturday so that really blows.

It's better to happen now than while you're on your way on your trip.

Your absolutely right. First half of trip is to central Wisconsin and second half on MN Candian border. Regardless if my trip gets delayed, it much better then being on the road, fully packed, with 2 kids in the car. What a nightmare that would have been. Anywho, back to the GAS.......
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Rambler » Jul Wed 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Bought a Daiwa Regal 2500. Took it to Busse yesterday. Wow.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Thu 25, 2019 12:19 am

Rambler wrote:Bought a Daiwa Regal 2500. Took it to Busse yesterday. Wow.

Is that the Regal LT? If so can you elaborate on "Wow?" lol I'm guessing you caught them on that Walmart $29.99 sale?
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Fri 26, 2019 6:51 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Is that the Regal LT? If so can you elaborate on "Wow?" lol I'm guessing you caught them on that Walmart $29.99 sale?

LT-2500-XH to be specific. It's amazingly light - should have expected it since it's a 2500 size. The reel it replaces was a 3000 size & the Pfluegers I generally use are 3500s.

Also, it casts a mile mated with my new Daiwa Fuego rod. First couple of casts the buzzbait landed on shore. Took a bit of getting used to. Very smooth - maybe smoother than my Pfluegers which is saying something. Of course this could be because it's new.

Last, the finish on this reel is unlike any other reel I've owned. Under some light it appears purple. Under other light it's clearly green. Sometimes some parts look purple while others look green. I've seen this on custom cars but never on a reel.

Did not buy it at Walmart. I refuse to shop at Walmart. A detailed explanation of my reasons would probably result in some troll accusing me of politicizing this thread. :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Fri 26, 2019 6:59 am

Rambler wrote:Last, the finish on this reel is unlike any other reel I've owned. Under some light it appears purple. Under other light it's clearly green. Sometimes some parts look purple while others look green. I've seen this on custom cars but never on a reel.

Sounds a lot like that douchebag Mike Iaconelli's line of reels/rods with Abu Garcia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Fri 26, 2019 9:28 am

Rambler wrote:
HEDDONFROG wrote:Is that the Regal LT? If so can you elaborate on "Wow?" lol I'm guessing you caught them on that Walmart $29.99 sale?

LT-2500-XH to be specific. It's amazingly light - should have expected it since it's a 2500 size. The reel it replaces was a 3000 size & the Pfluegers I generally use are 3500s.

Also, it casts a mile mated with my new Daiwa Fuego rod. First couple of casts the buzzbait landed on shore. Took a bit of getting used to. Very smooth - maybe smoother than my Pfluegers which is saying something. Of course this could be because it's new.

Last, the finish on this reel is unlike any other reel I've owned. Under some light it appears purple. Under other light it's clearly green. Sometimes some parts look purple while others look green. I've seen this on custom cars but never on a reel.

Did not buy it at Walmart. I refuse to shop at Walmart. A detailed explanation of my reasons would probably result in some troll accusing me of politicizing this thread. :lol:

Thanks for the details Scott.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jul Fri 26, 2019 1:04 pm

I think I'm the only person left that hasn't said a word on this thread, until now. Here's my gas for the year.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Fri 26, 2019 9:03 pm

billebob5 wrote:I think I'm the only person left that hasn't said a word on this thread, until now. Here's my gas for the year.

Now that’s some great GAS BB5! I miss my Pro-V all the time :(
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jul Fri 26, 2019 9:09 pm

billebob5 wrote:I think I'm the only person left that hasn't said a word on this thread, until now. Here's my gas for the year.

That's a beaut! You're gonna love that Xi5. Mine has been great.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jul Sun 28, 2019 9:42 am

Funny you say that Ted. My xi5 took a crap on the chain yesterday. I’m thinking it’s just the battery to the remote. Funny thing was both the remote and the foot pedal wouldn’t work. Maybe bad batteries on both? It had everything else. GPS, good power, etc.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jul Sun 28, 2019 10:01 am

billebob5 wrote:Funny you say that Ted. My xi5 took a crap on the chain yesterday. I’m thinking it’s just the battery to the remote. Funny thing was both the remote and the foot pedal wouldn’t work. Maybe bad batteries on both? It had everything else. GPS, good power, etc.

Are they synced up? I lost the sync one time and neither worked. Quick call to Motorguide and they got me going again. IIRC correctly, you just hold down both the anchor and run buttons when you start up the motor. I had launched on Lake Michigan and motored to my first spot, put the TM down, and nothing. Nothing with the remote either. What a waste of a day.

Batteries in the pedal last a LONG time- easily a season. You might want to pick up a replacement spring kit for the pedal. As a bass guy I am using my pedal constantly and a spring broke in my 3rd year of use. The 2 replacement springs cost less than $3 but the pedal is useless until you get them and you'll have to order them. I ordered an extra pair and keep them in my boat. I love my Xi5 overall.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jul Mon 29, 2019 8:51 am

It was just the battery in the remote. Thank the fishing gods!
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Aug Fri 09, 2019 1:17 pm

My big GAS for the season. I'm outta control! :lol:
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Aug Sat 10, 2019 4:50 pm

I look for projects and found this one just down the road. Will need to glass in some seat mounts but it buffed out nicely. Goldenhawk 10 footer weighs 45lbs.
Canoe before.jpg
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Aug Sat 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Hell yea nice score! I love boat GAS!!!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Sun 11, 2019 11:30 am

Great looking canoe vman.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Sun 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Love it V! Great polish job, I’m sure even if you had an electric polisher, that took some elbow grease.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Aug Mon 12, 2019 2:28 am

For those with responses to my latest project (canoe) thanks, I ordered a yoke from ACK and I'm stoked to get it in the water and see how it floats once I get the second seat in place.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Aug Mon 12, 2019 8:20 am

vman01 wrote: see how it floats

Hope you tested that before ordering a yoke!
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Mon 12, 2019 8:51 am

vman01 wrote:I look for projects and found this one just down the road. Will need to glass in some seat mounts but it buffed out nicely. Goldenhawk 10 footer weighs 45lbs.
Canoe before.jpg

Looks like a fast canoe. Unlike the big giant wide plastic 3 seater I have now. :D
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Aug Mon 12, 2019 9:47 am

Hmm,
If I combine Aux and Phil's thoughts into one I may have a canoe that goes fast to the bottom of the lake LOL.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby minstrel » Aug Wed 14, 2019 2:55 am

Had a little GAS bubble to burn off some birthday gift certs from Bass Pro etc. so today I was trying out the new light setup I picked up. It was a fun little purchase, it's a Bass Pro Micro Lite 6'6" light rod w/a Pflueger President 25.

Light line, small hooks and some worms under a bobber brought about a successful test today with 'gils galore. :mrgreen:
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Aug Wed 14, 2019 10:40 am

vman01 wrote:I look for projects and found this one just down the road. Will need to glass in some seat mounts but it buffed out nicely. Goldenhawk 10 footer weighs 45lbs.
Canoe before.jpg

Very nice, that cleaned up very well! Hope it serves you well.

I looked around several years for a 10' canoe that was reasonably priced and ended up with a 17', which has proven a bit overkill for one person.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Previous

Return to Tackle & Gear