Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

513K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Let the waiting game begin. Or u can invest in a 12pk and come hit some hard water. Ps for gas you should take a teaspoon of yellow mustard followed by some warm water. The mustard seeds and turmeric will rid the symptoms in 10 min. That's why mustard got the call for a condiment on things like hot dogs...not only for taste but for its ability to help with stomach issues. Works every time. :D

#7 ·
joetrain said:
Man you got me hooked on that XPS minnow. I bought 4 and am going back for 2 more tomorrow. ~JOE~
Which one is your favorite color Joe?

ohoffm said:
Is the last picture whopper plopper 90s?
Those are the 130s, I have a 90 but its tiny compared to these guys at 1 3/8oz. The feathers are a double edge sword...great action, but its like losing 2 lures at once when I snag up cause they are pricey as hell.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a pic of the cheapest lure I bought this winter. It was 6 bucks at cabelas and I am way more happy with that lure than others that cost 3× as much.

IMG_20160122_37965.jpg

Also picked up a cardiff. Paired it with an 8 ft tooth tamer all purpose, 65lb pp.

20160122_165217-1.jpg

Might share some more later on this winter.

Polishfly, why wait till spring? You work weekends or fish weekends? Anything in the upper 20's temperature wise I'm casting on the dpr. Its not all iced over :wink:

Attachments

#11 ·
Darkstar72 said:
Are those Whopper Ploppers?
YUP! I want em ALL!

Aux Pleins said:
Polishfly, why wait till spring? You work weekends or fish weekends? Anything in the upper 20's temperature wise I'm casting on the dpr. Its not all iced over :wink:
Oh I know I know =) I couldn't just stare at it...I got out today, river is down about 4 feet from 2 weeks ago and at least 2 feet since last Friday. Managed to snag a nasty carp other than that nothing going today. Carp fought well, snagged him like a baitfish through the back so he had full power and the new rod held up really nicely. Ploppers look and sound bad ass too!

#12 ·
I'm right there with ya. So far I've acquired an 8ft daiwa dx8 swimbait rod 2 sixgill rods and two lews super duty reels, with another one to be purchased soon. Couple whopper ploppers, punch and flipping set ups, and a few big swimbaits. To just name a few. The boxes of lures are stacking up quick

Attachments

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I love that color scheme on the Tatula, nice pick up! Saw those at Lee's today and drooled a bit. Of course my GAS kicked in while there and I had to get more stuff! Great price on these double bladed inline spinners which seem to be pretty light for the size of the blades and of course...more feathers!

0123161659a-1.jpg

Attachments

#20 ·
I just relieved some serious GAS, and started a new chapter in my fishing life, all at the same time! Last week I received my first kayak, from ACK, a FeelFree Lure 10. Also got some necessary accessories for it: a quality paddle, 3lb folding anchor, anchor trolley kit, ram mounts and a socket swing arm for my Lowrance and transducer that attach to sliding clips on the yak, and some garage hang straps. Got some prep work that will carry me through the winter before my maiden voyage in the spring.

#21 ·
I have too much crap, this is half of the bass stuff not including plastics and flipping/pitching jigs. I really need to downsize to half of what I have, my tackle bag weighs about as much as my trolling motor battery. :oops: I don't like the color selections I have going on either.

This is consolidating all the stuff I could 'find' from various tackle boxes to little pocket cases I put in my jacket when I'm river fishing on foot.

#22 ·
JW that Yak purchase may haunt you at the tail end of winter...that wait will be excruciating! But I dig the GAS! Can't wait to see pics of the finished vessel.

Hoffman-where did you grab those Dadsons? What do you think the weight is on em?

I ran that large BigTooth spinnerbait on my new combo over the weekend and it was definitely at the max for what that rod can handle and probably actually a bit too much. Casting wasn't bad but that huge willow made a lot of resistance, may swap it for a smaller blade. Maybe if I run it much slower it may behave better. I'm itching to check out the double blade inlines, never had em before!

#24 ·
I'm with Catchafew - got way too much crap - and I mean CRAP. I unloaded a South Bend convertible spin/fly rod on eBay a few weeks ago. Got $15.00 for it! Can't remember why I bought it in the 1st place. And like all 'convertible' things (except sports cars) it wasn't very good at either thing it was for - spin or fly.

Early last year I gave an old buddy an old Abu Garcia spinning rod and Cardinal 7 series. I just sent him the manual for the reel - found it while rummaging through all sorts of - yep more CRAP - in the basement. He says he needs glasses to read the manual and he's a year younger than me!

I've given away 2 old Plano boxes and consolidated more CRAP from each in another old, smaller Plano and an ammo can - my wife is thrilled! If I had time I'd take a stall at a flea market and sell some other CRAP that some folks might consider collectible. But who wants the bother? If you know anyone who wants a vintage Shakespeare spincast reel from the late 50s or early 60s let me know. I'm sure we can work something out.

But having said all this I'm jonesing for a new fly rod since I intend to get back into fly fishing after 20 years away from it. I'm thinking a Cabelas is probably the best compromise between quality and price. I'm going with a 5 weight which seems to be about right. I found a spare spool for my old Pflueger Medalist on eBay for around $7.00. I'll put 5 wt on it - got 7 wt on the original spool. And what's the deal with prices on fly gear? I'd love to buy American made but $400-$800 (or more) for a rod? REALLY???

And like JW I could wind up getting a new kayak but it's a struggle. I have a perfectly fine 9 foot sit-on-top so justifying a new one is tough - especially considering my minimalist tendencies. But you never know...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.