How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby joetrain » May Fri 08, 2020 6:46 pm

I like those DOA baits. I wish I could find them here in NC. Actually I wish I could find a decent pizza and gyros too.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Fri 08, 2020 9:09 pm

cletedius wrote:I kept noticing pics on the wall with a face that I couldnt quite place but still had something familiar-looking . Didnt give it much thought, just gathered my intended targets & headed for the register. On the wall behind the register, I took notice of a pic of a full rack of mahi from a local charity tourney. That face, again! Read the plaque, what I saw was the name of a dude I worked with at a tackle store over 30yrs ago in Morton grove. Holy shit! It in fact was the same guy! I asked the cashier if he knew the guy in the pic. "Know him?, I sure do, he owns the place" he says! Seems my old co-worker & a partner bought the place some years ago & have seemingly turned it into an excellent tackle shop with a thriving boat dealership/service center. I asked if he was in & was told he was @ home taking care of domestic duties. Cant wait to catch him in the shop!

Talk about a small world!

Cool story. 8)
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Thu 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Finally got an order from Tackle Warehouse to arrive after more than 2 weeks.

Needed some 10 lb P-Line Fluoro for jerkbaits and got a couple more baits to hit the $50 free shipping. Picked up a Lucky Craft Staysee 90 in aurora black and a Jackall DD Squirrel in chartreuse shad.

Also picked up 4 packages of Keitech 4" Swing Impacts in bluegill and shad colors- I have been going through them quickly. Feel ready for first smallie trip of the season in a couple weeks.

On a side note, I finally got to use my new Tatula 3000 spinning reel earlier this week and it is easily the best spinning reel in my arsenal. So smooth and very light.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby big jay » May Fri 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:Finally got an order from Tackle Warehouse to arrive after more than 2 weeks.

Needed some 10 lb P-Line Fluoro for jerkbaits and got a couple more baits to hit the $50 free shipping. Picked up a Lucky Craft Staysee 90 in aurora black and a Jackall DD Squirrel in chartreuse shad.

Also picked up 4 packages of Keitech 4" Swing Impacts in bluegill and shad colors- I have been going through them quickly. Feel ready for first smallie trip of the season in a couple weeks.

On a side note, I finally got to use my new Tatula 3000 spinning reel earlier this week and it is easily the best spinning reel in my arsenal. So smooth and very light.

Staysee 90 is a great bait on Geneva.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » May Sun 17, 2020 10:41 am

Not that it compares but I just picked up a couple packs of Noeby paddletails on eBay. Never heard of them before & figured they might be worth a try.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Tue 26, 2020 8:38 am

With all the dystopian sci-fi drama and an upcoming trip up north I decided to begin dabbling in survival gear and bushcraft, that sort of thing. Picked up this knife for a few bucks less than a Rapala filet knife. Local dead pine branch, sectioned it on my table saw but split it baton style in about 90 seconds, like butter. Impressed so far. Looking forward to further testing, hopefully some fresh caught walleye.

IMG_26052020_082411_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » May Tue 26, 2020 9:41 am

Awww shiiiitttt Brettttt its a slippery slope!! Mike (Zenfish) slid down that slope all the way into a stove tent! Good times for sure
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Tue 26, 2020 9:45 am

Haha, just tried a featherstick. No photo to post just yet.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » May Tue 26, 2020 10:01 am

Nice baton work, Brett. The rabbit hole is deep and the love of steel becomes expensive. But like the saying goes, It cuts like a knife and it feels so right.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby big jay » May Sat 30, 2020 8:01 pm

I just picked up a new Lews tournament mp and a bps crankin stick for my new buzzbait set up. I’m extremely happy with this setup. Also purchased a bunch of lipless baits and buzzbait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby big jay » May Sat 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Also picked up some more g2 shellcracker’s
big jay
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » May Sat 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Lews :thumbup:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Sun 31, 2020 4:48 am

Love my Lews.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Wed 03, 2020 10:00 pm

That swimsuit looks awesome!!

Someone lost one of my combos in the DPR this past weekend so I had the green light to buy. New UL reel for the UL travel rod, some line and a bunch of chatters.

20200603_215818.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jun Wed 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Folding saw and 600 yards of Yo-Zuri hybrid. Verdict is still out on the saw but the line is excellent and my annual cost is around four bucks.

IMG_03062020_221100_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Thu 04, 2020 9:04 am

Great saw, cuts in both directions if I'm not mistaken, for its size and purpose it is a great option.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jun Thu 04, 2020 9:53 am

Can't wait to use it. Could have reached for it a half dozen times on my trip and it was waiting on the porch when I got back. I think you guys are right about the slippery slope. Let us know how you like that reel. I have an old Shimano sienna 500 that is getting a bit worn down, might bring an UL rig next time and try for a brookie.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 04, 2020 10:23 am

Good folding saws rock. Bad ones suck. Get the UL gear regardless.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Thu 04, 2020 10:27 am

If you want a larger saw for the truck or boat or kayak or anything really take a look at the Boreal 21 folding bow saw.

I really like the reel, it pairs up nicely with my St Croix travel rod, very light and well balanced. Smooth reel action and the details are on par with what they have been producing lately. I now have 1 non-daiwa reel in my quiver.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jun Mon 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Just harvested this mofo with the Laplander. Kind of curious what exactly your constructing with the Boreal lol.

IMG_08062020_203827_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_08062020_203835_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Tue 09, 2020 6:57 am

Brett wrote:Just harvested this mofo with the Laplander. Kind of curious what exactly your constructing with the Boreal lol.

IMG_08062020_203827_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_08062020_203835_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

The Boreal is great for my Tanto camper, it pairs up nicely with the felling axe. It saved my ass down in Shawnee where I took a wrong turn and ended up on an ATV route that I could not turn around on with my 2WD F150 and trailer attached, I had to cut down 5 trees (I felt horrible) and 3 of them were about 12" across at the base. It made quick work of those poor lumber sticks and I got out of the woods in 1 piece with just a few dents and no need for a rescue.

20191014_102726.jpg

20191014_104645.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jun Tue 09, 2020 8:59 am

Not a fishing purchase, but GAS all the same... just picked me up a new handgun. Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Compact M2.0 in .40 S&W for my EDC weapon. :D
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Tue 09, 2020 10:02 am

Shit if were talking non fishing gas I just dropped a huge amount of coin on a new plastic mountain fishing bike...arrived Sunday from the UK =)
20200607_154422.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Jun Sun 14, 2020 11:06 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:Not a fishing purchase, but GAS all the same... just picked me up a new handgun. Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Compact M2.0 in .40 S&W for my EDC weapon. :D

Uh oh. I came to this thread to talk about fishing GAS and now you guys are going to get me started on firearms and bikes! I got my CCW in early 2019 and I remember one of the instructors saying that for a lot of people, one gun kind of jumps out as the one you really like. I tried out a number of different handguns and calibers for EDC. For me the one I immediately took to was the Springfield XD Mod.2 subcompact in 9mm. But the other two I really liked were the Sig P365 and...the M&P Shield compact! Oddly enough, I did not care at all for any of the Glocks.

polishfly wrote:Shit if were talking non fishing gas I just dropped a huge amount of coin on a new plastic mountain fishing bike...arrived Sunday from the UK =)

I think you're the second cycling fisherman I've come across on this website. A Nukeproof! That is some serious coin! Sweet looking bike.

Back to fishing...I may have gone a little overboard with the Cabela's gift cards I received. I bought so much new gear that I needed to add a couple of planos to help organize and store it all. I went heavy on worms, buzzbaits, and I realized I only had one spinnerbait in my tackle box so I picked up a number of those. A few new scum frogs. Hooks, trailer hooks, trailer plastics, a Z-man chatterbait, two rods (a St. Croix Triumph and a Ugly Stik) and Stren mono, 8 lb, even though I have braid with fluorocarbon leaders on two of my spinning reels.

So did this satisfy me? No. Now I want more rods and reels so I can have different set ups ready to go for different situations and species. This site is a bad influence on me.

Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Sun 14, 2020 11:54 am

HOLY CRAAAAP!!! Can't carry all that stuff on your bike. :shock:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Jun Sun 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Rambler wrote:HOLY CRAAAAP!!! Can't carry all that stuff on your bike. :shock:

I know. :cry: That's why I purchased more of those Plano stowaway boxes with the adjustable dividers. I can carry 2 or 3 of them in my backpack. I've got one for topwater lures, one for various cranks and spinnerbaits, and a general purpose one with a small amount of hooks, ned rigs, wacky o-rings, shaky heads, worms, etc. I leave the other boxes at home and just take a small selection of lures and plastics. I went through that phase of thinking that I needed to have plastic worms in every color imaginable. But that just leads to paralysis of analysis. Depending on the cloud cover and the water clarity, I figure I shouldn't really need more than 2 or 3 different colors and I can bring just a small number of each if I take my bike. My "traveling pack" now weighs about 11-12 lbs and I can probably cull that down even more.

One bad habit I used to have was always leaving my rods and tackle backpack in my trunk. I wanted them to always be there in case I wanted to fish (after work, or visiting someone who's near a lake, etc.) That might be okay in spring or fall, but in the blazing heat of a closed car in Chicagoland in July and August? I had some Zman ned rig worms that melted into this horrible mass of sticky jelly that ruined everything they touched. The bands that hold the skirts on certain spinnerbaits and buzzbaits become gummy and sticky. The skirts on some of the frogs dried up and cracked off. I won't be making that mistake again!
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Jun Sun 14, 2020 2:14 pm

A Zman soufflé. Should have jammed a hook in it and tossed it out.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Mon 15, 2020 7:36 am

Rambler wrote:HOLY CRAAAAP!!! Can't carry all that stuff on your bike. :shock:

You can easily hold all that AND a lot more on a bike =D Check out bikepacking..........
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 15, 2020 8:22 am

cyanatic wrote:I know. :cry: That's why I purchased more of those Plano stowaway boxes with the adjustable dividers. I can carry 2 or 3 of them in my backpack. I've got one for topwater lures, one for various cranks and spinnerbaits, and a general purpose one with a small amount of hooks, ned rigs, wacky o-rings, shaky heads, worms, etc. I leave the other boxes at home and just take a small selection of lures and plastics. I went through that phase of thinking that I needed to have plastic worms in every color imaginable. But that just leads to paralysis of analysis. Depending on the cloud cover and the water clarity, I figure I shouldn't really need more than 2 or 3 different colors and I can bring just a small number of each if I take my bike. My "traveling pack" now weighs about 11-12 lbs and I can probably cull that down even more.

One bad habit I used to have was always leaving my rods and tackle backpack in my trunk. I wanted them to always be there in case I wanted to fish (after work, or visiting someone who's near a lake, etc.) That might be okay in spring or fall, but in the blazing heat of a closed car in Chicagoland in July and August? I had some Zman ned rig worms that melted into this horrible mass of sticky jelly that ruined everything they touched. The bands that hold the skirts on certain spinnerbaits and buzzbaits become gummy and sticky. The skirts on some of the frogs dried up and cracked off. I won't be making that mistake again!

It's frightening how much this sounds like me. Sounds like we could swap backpacks & not notice. I had Zman plastics melt and eat parts of an old tackle box. :shock:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Jun Tue 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Rambler wrote:It's frightening how much this sounds like me. Sounds like we could swap backpacks & not notice. I had Zman plastics melt and eat parts of an old tackle box. :shock:

You're probably right! :lol: Thanks, now I don't feel so bad. That stuff is nasty when it melts.
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby BrookeT » Jun Mon 22, 2020 11:02 am

Got a bad case of GAS last week; Nucanoe Flint, planning to keep the setup simple for easy transport and launching; looking forward to fishing new waters especially on the DPR
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby joetrain » Jun Mon 22, 2020 12:01 pm

I would say that is welcomed GAS.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BrookeT » Jun Mon 22, 2020 12:27 pm

The best kind
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby polishfly » Jun Mon 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Slick looking yak there!! I like that paddle, mine is similar if not that same exact one maybe
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BrookeT » Jun Mon 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Very light weight paddle; offsets my poor technique a bit
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Tue 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Nice yak, I've been eyeing the flint myself. What length paddle did you get?
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby BrookeT » Jun Wed 24, 2020 2:47 am

Adjustable 240cm. Recommended length is under 35" kayak width and 6'0" & under = 240cm. I'm 6'2" in my brain but 5'10" in real life
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Wed 24, 2020 8:30 am

Darn, that is a sweet Tuffy. A relative had one when I was a little kid and I used to dream of owning a Tuffy one day. Great choice for fishing the bigger water you like.

Lots of GAS for me lately. Big order from Howies up in Door County. I stocked up on tubes for a few I upcoming trips. Waiting on a TW order now. Their shipping delays suck. Out of Jackhammers right now which is killing me.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Wed 24, 2020 5:02 pm

BrookeT wrote:Adjustable 240cm. Recommended length is under 35" kayak width and 6'0" & under = 240cm. I'm 6'2" in my brain but 5'10" in real life

have you taken it out yet? seat height factors into it as well. On the flint owners facebook group I've seen guys using up to 280CM paddles
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby DasGoby » Jun Wed 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Lots of GAS for me lately. Big order from Howies up in Door County. I stocked up on tubes for a few I upcoming trips. Waiting on a TW order now. Their shipping delays suck. Out of Jackhammers right now which is killing me.

I had heard how delayed TW standard shipping was. I broke down and paid an extra 9 bucks for 2 day delivery and it arrived right on time. I'm definitely noticing shortages in tackle availability. Most likely supply chain issues plus increased demand due to COVID.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BrookeT » Jun Fri 26, 2020 7:12 am

I’ve been out twice now; one trip to Skokie and one north on the DPR. You can adjust the seat from standard to high. I have my seat at standard and haven’t had any issues with paddle length but I am a newbie on a kayak so maybe I don’t know any better
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby cletedius » Jun Fri 26, 2020 9:53 am

RIP to the coolest little tackle shop that most people never heard of.
https://www.cbs58.com/news/fishing-stor ... -good-soon
This was the only brick & mortar store I knew of to get most of the DIY crap that I use, this sucks!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Jun Fri 26, 2020 11:38 am

^^^^ It’s sad to see those types of businesses going away. That’s the type of place that doesn’t get replaced.
There is a small tackle shop in my area that when you enter it is like walking back in time. Bait tanks, jigs on cards, old dog sleeping on the floor and an odor that my wife says reminds her of my car.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Jun Fri 26, 2020 11:59 am

joetrain wrote:^^^^ It’s sad to see those types of businesses going away. That’s the type of place that doesn’t get replaced.
There is a small tackle shop in my area that when you enter it is like walking back in time. Bait tanks, jigs on cards, old dog sleeping on the floor and an odor that my wife says reminds her of my car.
~JOE~

The only tackle store near me is FishTech on Dempster. I try to make sure I buy from them on a regular basis, regardless of what I might purchase online. It does my heart good to go in there.
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby big jay » Jun Fri 26, 2020 2:39 pm

It just doesn’t seem to stop. Got this for Father’s Day.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Fri 26, 2020 5:19 pm

DasGoby wrote:

I had heard how delayed TW standard shipping was. I broke down and paid an extra 9 bucks for 2 day delivery and it arrived right on time. I'm definitely noticing shortages in tackle availability. Most likely supply chain issues plus increased demand due to COVID.

If I knew at the time I would be losing my last 2 jackhammers I would have definitely paid the 9 bucks. Had a leader break and threw one into the abyss the other day.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby joetrain » Jun Fri 26, 2020 7:00 pm

I just received a Mustang DLX 38 inflatable life jacket. A bit pricey but hey I’m worth it. Actually it only cost me $27 out of pocket. I had a bunch of gift cards I had been hanging on to. I didn’t need any rods, reels, tackle, etc. so pulled the trigger on it. It will definitely be more comfortable than my Stohlquist vest which is fine in the colder weather but when it gets hot out that thing is really uncomfortable.
It also came with a free tshirt and for an extra $5 a long sleeve tshirt too. And a sticker too!
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jun Fri 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Craigslist find, a couple of old Diston rip saws, a random miter saw, and my favorite, an old tree felling saw. Picked up a camper's axe from the depot on the way home. Latter two should come in handy on fishing trips.

IMG_26062020_200315_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 27, 2020 8:21 am

Brett - wish I'd known you were into old tools. Just dumped off a bunch at Good will. Oh well...

Just ordered the Daiwa Tatula spinning rod I was eyeballing. 7'2" M, extra fast. Early B-day present to myself.

Should come next week. Pairing it with my Daiwa Regal reel. Can't wait.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jun Sat 27, 2020 9:01 am

I dumped a bunch when I moved. Some old ones too.

Brett check out the Rosemont flea market on Sunday. Always a good assortment there.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle & Gear