How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sat 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Absyne wrote:Yep, it seems that the stock changes every few days. I dug around and found out they used to offer monthly boxes like MTB, they no longer do. Upon further digging, MTB now offers Fishog plastics in their boxes...interesting to say the least.

Yea MTB has had Fishog products in their boxes for awhile. That's how I 1st discovered em. I got a bag of stogies and used em. Prodcued just as good as senkos or Yum dingers so I checked em out. Fishog monthly subscription was $5 I think. I didn't bother signing up since I have an abundance of plastics as it is between what I purchase and my MTB and LTB subscriptions. On Fishogs fb page they said they did away with the subscriptions to help save money and allow them to keep their bag prices at $.99-$1.29. So I will definitely be buying all my plastics through them. With the exception of 1 particular Gary Yamamoto plastic that I use alot as a trailer on my spinners. The only issue with that is no stores carry the color I use so I have to buy em on amazon when they're in stock.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Hoffmanpikefisher » Mar Sat 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks busse bassman it was a steal , estimated retail at over 90 dollars for all of em.
Hoffmanpikefisher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Sat 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Absyne wrote:
busse bass man wrote:Lol looks like Fishog ran out of bags with that sale they had. I mentioned on the other post I started that they're keeping all bags of plastics at $.99-$1.29. So if there was some that were sold out that you wntd check em out again. They have most of their plastics in stock again.

I've gotten some fish hog stuff in my MTB

Yep, it seems that the stock changes every few days. I dug around and found out they used to offer monthly boxes like MTB, they no longer do. Upon further digging, MTB now offers Fishog plastics in their boxes...interesting to say the least.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby MrB » Mar Sun 06, 2016 6:16 pm

GAS struck again I ordered a fenwick elite tech bass for the other revo. Then I forgot line and dicks sports has alot of buy 3 and get one free lures.... So it looks like I have some new keitech football jigs & rapala shadow rap shads on the way. LOL! It really does never end.

BTW for you fenwick guys they have a rebate for a marmot jacket >>>http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Promotions/2016%20Promotions/FENTP1-16.pdf
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Mar Wed 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Found myself "just looking" at rods after MrB's post... checked out sales at Fisherman's Factory Outlet then 'wandered' over to Tackle Warehouse where I had to relieve my GAS so I picked up some jig heads, a couple swim jigs and a few hard baits... :lol:
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby BassCaster » Mar Wed 09, 2016 2:53 pm

GAS'ed me up a fly rod for this year :thumbup:
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Wed 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Haha tell me about it. I wanted to read about the new lews tournament pro g magnesium reel so I went to bass pro website. Ended up buying it and a new st croix rod with it. Oops plus some lipless cranks with little spinner bait blades that act like find and more big swimbaits and some cranks from Japan. Damn eBay always gets me
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby polishfly » Mar Wed 09, 2016 2:59 pm

This thread is so mentally supportive!!! I'm not alone! More shit is on the way in the mail...still need some line for one of my reels and a battery and cables for my fish finder...I don't dare stepping into any stores at this point because I have no self control what so ever. GAS ON!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Wed 09, 2016 3:02 pm

GAS'ed me up a fly rod for this year

So, planning to change your name BassCaster?

I'll see your fly rod and raise you one. Picked up an LL Bean StreamLight 5 wt & then completely lost my composure & bought a Flylogic 8 wt. WILL IT NEVER END???
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Mar Wed 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Rambler wrote:So, planning to change your name BassCaster?

Nope , I plan on catch many bass on the fly rod. I fly fish very small poppers
many many years ago and caught lots of nice bass on the fly rod :wink:
I am going after 5 pound bass on the fly rod this year.
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Mar Wed 09, 2016 10:24 pm

*laughs* Each post should start with "My name is ___ and I... have GAS. Today I bought ____ ." Thankyou for your support. :D
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Mar Thu 10, 2016 1:40 am

My name is Brett, and I have GAS. A few days ago I posted a thread asking for advice and opportunities to acquire inexpensive bait-casting gear to try out. Today I bought a St. Croix Legend Tournament and Abu Garcia Revo STX. It wasn't the first time something like this has happened. I didn't hurt anyone and I thank you for your support.

Tight Lines,
Brett
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Thu 10, 2016 7:33 am

Haha gas got you good Brett you went from inexpensive to expensive.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Thu 10, 2016 9:55 am

My Zillion with upgraded Boca Bearings is ready and I should receive it back in a few days. Ordered some Hydroturf to put under my trolling motor for traction- not exciting but very functional.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Mar Thu 10, 2016 10:17 am

"My Zillion with upgraded Boca Bearings is ready "

Man that thing will cast miles....Nice GAS there. :thumbup:
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby polishfly » Mar Fri 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Couldn't wait for my spinnerbait order to come in the mail, so I got some new Gary's that just showed up at Dick's. Also developed a hardbait swimbait fetish, so stocked up on a few, and replaced some snagged XPS minnows! Also determined I need a bucket hat for those days in the sun and a rain jacket for those iffy days on the water. Bah...it...will...never...end...

0311161217a-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Fri 11, 2016 2:13 pm

This thread is so mentally supportive

More like just plain mental. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Fri 11, 2016 2:30 pm

My biggest purchase lews tournament pro magnesium and the new mojo bass rod. Oh and I may have just ordered another swimbait. After this thread is dead it should be eliminated from significant others ever finding it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Mar Fri 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Actually - and I'm almost serious about this - it might make sense to have a WCFer-only 'swap-o-rama' next winter. Entrance fee would be proof that you contributed to this thread & show up with at least one piece of gear to trade. It cannot be junk but 'vintage' is acceptable.

Oh yeah - almost forgot. ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNIFICANT OTHERS.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Mar Fri 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Great idea
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby MrB » Mar Wed 16, 2016 12:09 pm

So, I got the Fenwick elite tech spinning rod and I didn't like the grip feel as much as the baitcaster version and it also felt a bit heavy to me. That's the casualty of ordering online. I ended up returning it and swapping it with an St. Croix Avid and picked it up today. WOW! Now, I just need to find time to get out there.
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Mar Wed 16, 2016 4:53 pm

MrB wrote:So, I got the Fenwick elite tech spinning rod and I didn't like the grip feel as much as the baitcaster version and it also felt a bit heavy too me. That's the casualty of ordering online. I ended up returning it and swapping it with an St. Croix Avid and picked it up today. WOW! Now, I just need to find time to get out there.

I feel the same way about my Fenwick Silverhawk rods. love the casting rod but the spinning rod was way too tip heavy for anything finesse.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Sat 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Got out for the first time this year and was able to try out some of my new gear I posted on this thread. Here are my first impressions:

Daiwa Procyon 2500- This reel was excellent paired with a Dobyns 701 Champion and 20 lb Super Slick 8 Power Pro. I caught around a half dozen bass using this rig drop shotting. The line cast great and the sensitivity was excellent. Used 8 lb P-Line FC as leader line and it was perfect. I'll need to tangle with some 4-5 lb smallies and the random carp to truly test the reel out but my first impression was excellent.

Daiwa Type R Tatula- This reel performed comparable to my stock-bearing Zillion. Love the handle, the profile, and the fit in my hand. Maybe if I had the drag all the way down I would of caught the 2 lber that bit and I brought up to the surface before shaking off. The reel feels like a winner though.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Sat 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Nice to see a follow up on some gas. Mines exploding as I browse the bps website. Looks like I'm getting a revo toro s reel for big swimbaits and a new worm rod. I did however get out today and fish with my Gillroid swimbait and they were hitting it hard!
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby J.W. » Mar Sat 19, 2016 9:27 pm

I'll tell you one thing: if your gut tells you to relieve some GAS, you'd best not hold it in. I ordered a Lew's reel that was discontinued last year from TW, and it was on sale for like half price. It quickly became my favorite reel, and my gut told me to buy another one before they sold out. Well. . . I didn't pull the trigger while they still had some, and now I am KICKING MYSELF for that, because I have more rods than reels right now, and it would be perfect for another rod that I have.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Sat 19, 2016 10:58 pm

Which lews reel? I have 5 lews
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby J.W. » Mar Sun 20, 2016 12:11 am

roleplayaj1324 wrote:Which lews reel? I have 5 lews

It's the team pro speed spool, with the eva rectangular grips on the handle and the dual braking system. It's been replaced with a magnesium version that's a little different. I have the one I bought on a 6'10" finesse rod that I use for small jigs, weightless plastics, and skipping, and it excels at these light lures and skipping forgiveness. I'd love to have one for my 7'4" heavy rod for bigger jigs, bladed baits, and weighted plastics.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sun 20, 2016 4:57 am

2016 Tracker 1542, pending purchase, signing contract Wednesday.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Mar Sun 20, 2016 5:17 am

Aux Pleins wrote:2016 Tracker 1542, pending purchase, signing contract Wednesday.

Congratulations. That is some major GAS.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Sun 20, 2016 8:51 am

Aux Pleins wrote:2016 Tracker 1542, pending purchase, signing contract Wednesday.

Nice. Going to trailer it? What kind of modifications do you plan on making?
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Mar Sun 20, 2016 10:19 am

Congrats! That's a life changer, right there. Can't wait to see pics and fishing reports on it. I'll live vicariously through your WCF posts.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sun 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:

Nice. Going to trailer it? What kind of modifications do you plan on making?

Trailer shopping as we speak. Might just go with what the dealer has in stock.

Well for one, will be looking to upgrade from my 5hp Yamaha. Not quite sure if a casting deck will be necessary at this point. Especially when I only look to upgrade in a couple years to a full blown bass boat.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby MrB » Mar Sun 20, 2016 12:45 pm

joetrain wrote:

Congratulations. That is some major GAS.
~JOE~

Awesome! X2
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sun 20, 2016 3:38 pm

Congrats!!
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sun 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Got a little extra gas from the corned beef and cabbage.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Mar Sun 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Oh yeah slime time.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Sun 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Nice GAS guys!!! I've been stocking up on spring craw cranks but that pales in comparison to the boat purchases lately! Cant wait to see pics AUX.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Glassman81 » Mar Mon 21, 2016 10:08 am

This is thanks to the person who started the square bill tackle thread, I didn't have any either and never really used cranks. Saw the many posts raving about them so bought a couple to try. First outing caught a couple small largemouth on the DPR and that was enough to set off my GAS. All of the sudden I had the need for a few different kinds in a variety of colors. Wallet is grateful for cabela's bucks and the bargain cave!
Glassman81
Minnow

Postby polishfly » Mar Mon 21, 2016 10:53 am

Glassman81 wrote:This is thanks to the person who started the square bill tackle thread, I didn't have any either and never really used cranks. Saw the many posts raving about them so bought a couple to try. First outing caught a couple small largemouth on the DPR and that was enough to set off my GAS. All of the sudden I had the need for a few different kinds in a variety of colors. Wallet is grateful for cabela's bucks and the bargain cave!

You better crack some windows because that is some CRANKY GAS!!! Wow, makes me want to buy more, but I have so many nearly extinct Xcalibur baits in the mail I can't justify more...give me a few hours, I'll justify just fine.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 21, 2016 11:56 am

Glassman: I started the square bill thread and while I can't begin to compare what I've done with your acquisitions I've kinda lost control. I don't think I've gone thru a period of GAS like this since the 80s when I worked in one of the big buildings at Higgins & 53 and went over to Busse after work many evenings after work.

Last year I promised myself that I would go minimalist. I downsized my tackle box - got rid of a big 4 tray plano & went to a smaller 2-level box. Now I wish I'd kept the big one - it's getting out of hand. Today I received a new chatterbait. Last week it was 2 new Bomber crankbaits and a Hula Popper. Also picked up a slew of new flies - mostly #2 streamers. A new order just came today and 2 more orders will come in the next few days.

And it's looking like I might work a trade of my 9' sit-on-top for a 12' solo Old Town. Clearly I need help but I suspect this is the wrong place to look for it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Glassman81 » Mar Mon 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Minimalist will never work with me, only time that happens is when I shore fish and use my mini tackle bag to carry around. My problem is when I find something I like i go all in, gotta have most available colors and different sizes. I know i will not use 75% of my lures more than once but still feel the need to have it just in case its that one weird day when some goofy color works. Also noticed my increased GAS had coincided with my decrease in amount of time fishing. Getting married, buying a house and having a kid within the last 3 years has cut my fishing excursions to a few times a year locally with the boat ( which was a GAS purchase in 2014 after becoming limited to fishing local) and shore fishing for half an hour if i get a chance during lunch or after work. For someone used to going to the northwoods 5-6 times a year, lake erie a couple times a year and various other outings its quite the withdrawl. Pretty sure I use that GAS as a way to fill the void.
Glassman81
Minnow

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Hmm...the 5 most stressful event in life are 1) Marriage, 2) Having kids, 3) Changing jobs, 4) Divorce, 5) Death in the family. So you've managed 2 out of 5. And I'm sure buying a house and moving is probably #6 - so 3 out of 6. And boy do I remember getting married, buying a house & having kids & how it changed my life - mostly for the better but definitely cut down on fishing time.

And until now it didn't occur to me that the GAS I went thru in the 80s coincided with 3 out of the 1st 5 - so thanks for that.

So yeah - I think your GAS is compensation for the other stuff going on in your life. Now if I could only explain mine as easily...

And here's the good/bad news. It all goes by really, really fast. Your kids will grow up & be on their own before you know it. So my advice is spend as much time with them as possible - you won't get another chance. There will be plenty of time for fishing (and more GAS) later on.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Mon 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Or...take your kids fishing and GAS on their gear...and justify some purchases as "Well, honey, I couldn't let little Johnny use that lure without first testing one of them myself, so I clearly had to buy 2...or 4".
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Yes of course. Forgot about that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Tue 22, 2016 7:15 am

Pulled the trigger on a new swimbait reel and worm rod....
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby MrB » Mar Tue 22, 2016 9:02 am

polishfly wrote:Or...take your kids fishing and GAS on their gear...and justify some purchases as "Well, honey, I couldn't let little Johnny use that lure without first testing one of them myself, so I clearly had to buy 2...or 4".

My kids have GAS too. Last time we were at Dick's, they made me buy them some square bills. LOL!
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Tue 22, 2016 9:55 am

Damn good kids if you ask me!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Mar Tue 22, 2016 4:27 pm

I had a recent fit of GAS with a few Kastmasters and some great looking grubs to use as trailers on some swim jigs I procured earlier. I'll post when I get them if they are as cool as I think they'll be.

But the most exciting for me is I just opened up the box that my new Fenwick HMG came in. Looks like a real quality rod, a sure step from the basic models I've been working. :mrgreen:
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Tue 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Most definitely. I used the cheaper rods for a while and as soon as I got a quality rod. I won't g t a cheap one ever again. I just ordered a new Abu Garcia revo toro s for my swimbait rod, which leaves me with an extra reel so I had to get a new worm rod too
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Absyne » Mar Tue 22, 2016 6:16 pm

minstrel wrote:I had a recent fit of GAS with a few Kastmasters and some great looking grubs to use as trailers on some swim jigs I procured earlier. I'll post when I get them if they are as cool as I think they'll be.

But the most exciting for me is I just opened up the box that my new Fenwick HMG came in. Looks like a real quality rod, a sure step from the basic models I've been working. :mrgreen:

I picked up a MH/Fast HMG as well, and I'm in the same boat as you. Never had a quality rod, but the difference is astronomical. The amount of feel you get is insane, I never though I could understand what was under the water just by dragging a lure over it, but you can. You'll love it.
Absyne
Game Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle & Gear