How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby polishfly » Mar Tue 22, 2016 9:50 pm

So here is some lengthy GAS...I bought the Lowrance Elite5 Chirp head unit for cheap on e-bay brand new late last season around black friday, but it came with nothing so over the winter I slowly picked away at all of the items I need and today I finally received the power cables, which were a bitch to get on the cheap...and impossible to find in person. Anyhoo the whole process saved me a few bucks and I didn't have to fork over $400+tax right up front so I'm happy and excited as hell to try it out!

0322162111a-1.jpg

Next project will be routing the cables inside my yak to make it clean and pro-like, but that will only require a little GAS: Lowrance ducer extension cord.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Wed 23, 2016 10:55 am

Wonder if fish will ever catch on that technology is being used against them... :lol:

Stopped at Cabelas yesterday & got the 2016 sticker for my canoe, some fly line leaders and 2 square bill crankbaits - a StrikeKing Pro and a Cabelas Mean-eye. Also did an on-line order of some flies and other odds & ends.

Again I ask, will it never end?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Wed 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Picked up a package of Ned jigs and a bag of Zona's worms. Gonna try them this weekend where I was catching them last weekend with the dropshot.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Mar Wed 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Well I did my part to relieve some GAS. I bought a tackle bag and plano boxes from forum member glassman81. So his was relieved a bit but I added to mine.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Mar Wed 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Hey Joe, that's kind of the ying and yang of GAS, one side gets relieved the other builds. :mrgreen:

Anticipating a report on those Ned's too. Have my eye on that too.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Mar Wed 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Got the Cabela's Predator 8' HF Musky rod. Hey, it was in sale. Thinking about a Lexa 300 to match it with.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bassman29 » Mar Wed 23, 2016 8:56 pm

I refuse to use the term gas. I'm going with fart.... Fishing Apparatus Recently Transferred. just within the last few days I picked up a tatula 100h. a 13 concept inception and a 13 fishing envy . the envy is by far one of the lightest rods I have ever felt. I got a 7'1 heavy and it feels weight wise like a micro magic medium. its crazy. also got my back ordered ish's snag proof phat frogs that I'm looking to use as soon as the slop starts to form
odds are your catch was someones release...pay it forward
for homemade plastics please see link for pricing. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65154&p=661586#p661586
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Wed 23, 2016 9:35 pm

bassman29 wrote: and a 13 fishing envy . the envy is by far one of the lightest rods I have ever felt. I got a 7'1 heavy and it feels weight wise like a micro magic medium.

You lucky mofo! I want a 13 Envy MH-Moderate for cranks...I'm looking forward to hearing your take on the rod and the feel of the grip.

Nice fart!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Mar Wed 23, 2016 9:52 pm

bassman29 wrote: also got my back ordered ish's snag proof phat frogs that I'm looking to use as soon as the slop starts to form

Man, I can't wait for that.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Wed 23, 2016 9:56 pm

My final gas orders are trickling in and got this today. Abu Garcia Revo Toro S for my swimbait rod, big baits need a big reel!, which left me with an extra reel. So I picked up a lews custom speed stick light for a worm rod which is going to be paired with my new lews team pro magnesium. It'll be like holding a feather. Now to re arrange my combos for their desired technique and gear ratios
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Mar Thu 24, 2016 8:21 am

I refuse to use the term gas. I'm going with fart.... Fishing Apparatus Recently Transferred
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I F'ING LOVE IT!

So his was relieved a bit but I added to mine
I think I said this before - this is the fishing version of Einstein's conservation of energy. One relieves GAS while another achieves it thereby keeping the universe in balance. And to quote the Moody Blues it is "A Question of Balance".
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby busse bass man » Mar Thu 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Rambler wrote:Stopped at Cabelas yesterday & got the 2016 sticker for my canoe

Speaking of which...I bought mine at Walmart. She said they didn't have the proper paper to print it out on (not sticky) so I would have to use something to stick it on there. Can I just use some clear packing tape over it? Also, the lady said the color of my yak wasn't in the sytem so she had to put it as other, and she messed up 1 of the digits in my address(idk how considering I gave her my ID plus she looked me up in the system). Will either of those cause the DNR to give me any issues?
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Mar Fri 25, 2016 12:16 am

I used clear packing tape, two strips to stick mine to my yak. Worked fine, didnt even start peeling.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Mar Fri 25, 2016 6:49 am

I got mine at a Kmart here in the city, and it took FOREVER because their DNR printer sucked. They had to call IDNR, and I was there over an hour and a half. Mine didn't have a sticky back either. I didn't even bother taping it, I just keep it in the console of the kayak for fear of it being rubbed off or water getting on it. As long as you have it, I don't think they're going to be Nazis about it.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 8:16 am

Relieved some GAS yesterday. Went to Bass Pro looking for a new casting rod for all purpose usage. I pulled the trigger on an Abu Garcia Villain that was on clearance. It's 6'9 MH/F. Normally $180, and got it for $79.00. Couldn't really pass it up. Then, upon some recommendations from some members here, ordered myself a 13 Fishing Omen Black 7'1 MH/F. :lol:

Went from wanting one rod to pair up with my current Energy PT E760PT, to ending up with two rods, and now needing to order another reel to go on the 2nd rod. Haha. That'll have to wait a couple weeks, though.

Today I'll take delivery of around 20 bags of plastics, as well. Ordered these from http://www.riverwalleyes.com/ - a guide I fish with on the Mississippi River in Prairie du Chien, and Redwing. Known him for around 5 years, and my buddy's dad, whom I fish with a lot, has known him around 20-25. He's a great guy. I always have to order some stuff from him to get ready for Spring soft water fishing! His jigs are the best jigs I've ever used. He makes everything himself. Absolutely gorgeous jigs, and has any size you may need. Take a peek at all his tackle on his page, you may just find yourself needing to relieve some GAS as well. And sorry, not trying to throw a sales pitch out there, just giving him credit for a lot of my tackle, as I buy a lot from him, and it's top notch stuff! Does custom painted cranks and stuff as well. I left there in November with $100 in jigs. LOL. I'll take some pics later on, but the GAS has gotten me bad lately. And if I broke any rules by posting his website/throwing a shoutout to him as far as his tackle, feel free to delete the link and any references to his tackle! I don't mind. Again, wasn't throwing a sales pitch, just giving him some props, and pointing you guys towards some outstanding tackle. Now I just need to get out! Will be puddle jumping tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait!

I also grabbed a few square bill cranks when I was at Bass Pro yesterday, and a spool of 30lb SpiderWire Invisi-braid. I normally use PowerPro, but thought I'd give this stuff a try on one of the new setups. See how I like it.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 11:40 am

Oh, and btw. BPS currently has their Zoom brush hogs on clearance for 3.43 a package. Normally 4.49. Not a bad price, about a buck off normal, and one of my fav T-rig baits. For anyone looking to relieve some GAS!
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Fri 25, 2016 7:16 pm

I went cccccraw ccccrazy...and got some new shades :D

0325161831.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sat 26, 2016 4:01 am

Brett wrote:Got the Cabela's Predator 8' HF Musky rod. Hey, it was in sale. Thinking about a Lexa 300 to match it with.

Smart man. Heres what that looks like.

IMG_20160326_10699.jpg
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby J.W. » Mar Sat 26, 2016 10:13 am

Got my new rod from TW yesterday. It's a Falcon Bobby Barrack perfect frog rod. Made right here in the USA. This thing feels great. It's going to be my frogging, toading, punching, and grass rod, which is the majority of my summer fishing. It's a 7'10" XH, and has a nice cork fore grip and full handle -- my only casting rod that has either of these, but it serves well for these uses, and pulling fish out of slop. It's slightly tip heavy, but it's such a long rod, and I haven't put a reel on it and fished it yet, so it will probably balance out. Pretty excited to use this as soon as the weather warms.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Steve-O » Mar Sat 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:2016 Tracker 1542, pending purchase, signing contract Wednesday.
Aux Pleins wrote:2016 Tracker 1542, pending purchase, signing contract Wednesday.

Nice one AP. Lemme know if you need a trolling motor for that puppy. Alligator clips.
Steve-O
Game Fish

Postby Brett » Mar Sat 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:
Brett wrote:Got the Cabela's Predator 8' HF Musky rod. Hey, it was in sale. Thinking about a Lexa 300 to match it with.

Smart man. Heres what that looks like.

IMG_20160326_10699.jpg

Very nice. Left hand retrieve too, we will match. How are you liking that grip?
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby busse bass man » Mar Sun 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Happy Easter to me!!Tatula reel got delivered today. My tatula rod should be here in a cpl days.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 28, 2016 10:00 am

So here's a quandary wrapped inside a dilemma. With all this new gear (that positively pales in comparison to you other guys) that I've acquired over the winter what do I try out first? Should I try out my new fly rods or the new crankbaits, chatterbaits, etc? I'M SO CONFUSED!!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Mon 28, 2016 10:01 am

Cranks and chatters have been producing lately on all types of species...just sayin'
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Mon 28, 2016 10:05 am

Rambler wrote:So here's a quandary wrapped inside a dilemma. With all this new gear (that positively pales in comparison to you other guys) that I've acquired over the winter what do I try out first? Should I try out my new fly rods or the new crankbaits, chatterbaits, etc? I'M SO CONFUSED!!

Maybe give the chatters a try. I threw one yesterday for an hour between brunch with one side of the family, and dinner with the other side. Came away with two bass in the hour in a local pond. Both little guys, but no skunk! Was using silver head/blade with char/green skirt. Water was a little stained. Chatters seem to be working well right now for a lot of people.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Mar Mon 28, 2016 8:19 pm

I got a couple new charterbaits too
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby polishfly » Mar Mon 28, 2016 9:00 pm

roleplayaj1324 wrote:I got a couple new charterbaits too

You have to post a video of that thing in the water!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Tue 29, 2016 4:49 am

J.W. wrote:I got mine at a Kmart here in the city, and it took FOREVER because their DNR printer sucked. They had to call IDNR, and I was there over an hour and a half. Mine didn't have a sticky back either. I didn't even bother taping it, I just keep it in the console of the kayak for fear of it being rubbed off or water getting on it. As long as you have it, I don't think they're going to be Nazis about it.

X2 on everything said. I even hit kmart on Harlem for odds and ends, gulp, swivels, weights, hooks, etc...
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Apr Sat 02, 2016 12:50 pm

polishfly wrote:
roleplayaj1324 wrote:I got a couple new charterbaits too

You have to post a video of that thing in the water!

Will do. Had them in for a few mintues. They sink way to slow so I have to get some suspend dots. But they wiggle just come up to easy

On the other hand more mail came. Got one of these beauties, and a savage gear bluegill shine glide
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Sat 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Loaded up on more Ned Rig jigs and Zman plastics for my trip next week down south. See if I can catch 'em like they do down in Kansas where it is breezy all the time. I'm going to be fighting 15-20 mi/hr winds all week.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Apr Sat 02, 2016 5:16 pm

Good luck on fighting the wind. It seems that the wind just makes everything difficult on our end. I don't think fish mind it at all. ~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby MrB » Apr Sat 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Ordered one of these today.
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Sat 02, 2016 8:20 pm

MrB wrote:Ordered one of these today.

Awesome! Tell us more.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Sat 02, 2016 8:22 pm

joetrain wrote:Good luck on fighting the wind. It seems that the wind just makes everything difficult on our end. I don't think fish mind it at all. ~JOE~

I hear ya! I just plan on using the Talon a lot, putting on heavier sinkers, and throwing more cranks than I usually do.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby MrB » Apr Sat 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:

Awesome! Tell us more.

Should be ready in a few weeks as we opted for the dual cockpit (or bubble) after my wife actually sat in the boats she was willing to scrap the sport model, saving over a grand. 2016 Lund impact 1775. With terrova ipilot link, hummingbird side imaging and down scan finders. Wife got her bimini, I got my dream boat. I still cant believe it. I guess that it pays to go boat shopping during a snow storm in April, as I didn't have to fight for much of my demands and pricing. I guess it helps when the alumacraft salesman is texting when you are in the lund showroom also. LOL! I cant wait to pick it up!
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Absyne » Apr Sat 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Very nice. Wish I had you're GAS relief abilities. On the other hand, got some of these today...
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby polishfly » Apr Sat 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Damn nice boat GAS!!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Sun 03, 2016 6:44 am

MrB wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:

Awesome! Tell us more.

Should be ready in a few weeks as we opted for the dual cockpit (or bubble) after my wife actually sat in the boats she was willing to scrap the sport model, saving over a grand. 2016 Lund impact 1775. With terrova ipilot link, hummingbird side imaging and down scan finders. Wife got her bimini, I got my dream boat. I still cant believe it. I guess that it pays to go boat shopping during a snow storm in April, as I didn't have to fight for much of my demands and pricing. I guess it helps when the alumacraft salesman is texting when you are in the lund showroom also. LOL! I cant wait to pick it up!

Good stuff!! That Lund is going to give you years and years of use. Does it have the flip down seats in the back? What engine did you get?
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HnG » Apr Sun 03, 2016 10:50 am

IMG_20160403_104653.jpg

Figured id join the brag board here with my shallow water beast i built this winter. Back on the yak baby! Sad to see my old power boat go but its going to a good home.
HnG
Fishing Fanatic

Postby MrB » Apr Sun 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:
Good stuff!! That Lund is going to give you years and years of use. Does it have the flip down seats in the back? What engine did you get?

That is why we went with the impact over the rebel. I was worried that with two growing boys that we would outgrow it in a year or two and size is the only reason that I considered selling my old rig as I was happy and somewhat attached to it. Yes, aft flip seats and 115 merc.
MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Wow, way to invest in some quality family time :wink: What a fine machine. :thumbup:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Tue 05, 2016 9:11 am

MrB wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:

That is why we went with the impact over the rebel. I was worried that with two growing boys that we would outgrow it in a year or two and size is the only reason that I considered selling my old rig as I was happy and somewhat attached to it. Yes, aft flip seats and 115 merc.

17' Deep V with a 115 is a great setup. Deep and wide and plenty fast enough for water sports. When I was deciding on a boat I was really drawn to the Pro V Bass pedestal version since it has those aft seats which are great for kids. Lots of good reviews of the Merc 4-stroke. I have a 9.9 4-stroke Merc and it has been great- very smooth.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Handler » Apr Tue 05, 2016 10:57 am

Hey Aux, how do you like that swim bait. I think I was looking at the same ones last night. They sure look incredible, especially for the money. I feel like they're about to catch me, hope the fish are as easily impressed.

These:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Swimbaits-/1659 ... 6732.m1684
Handler
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Apr Fri 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Had some GAS. Storm 6 inch suspending baits will probably be good for teeth on the river and up in Canada. The swim shads are also suspending and the "Kickin Minnow" has produced really well for me. I didn't need the jig heads but 9 for a dollar was to good to pass up. Total price was $21 and $5 for shipping. ~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Apr Fri 08, 2016 6:55 pm

:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Swimbaits-/1659 ... 6732.m1684[/quote]

If you buy those first thing you should do is put good hooks and split rings on them. Especially being from China they more than likely have crappy hardware. And possibly get some suspend dots in case they don't run true. You can try and balance them with the lead dots
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bassman29 » Apr Fri 08, 2016 6:57 pm

had another fart and picked up another jig combo. 13 fishing concept A paired with a 7'6 envy mh
odds are your catch was someones release...pay it forward
for homemade plastics please see link for pricing. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65154&p=661586#p661586
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Apr Fri 08, 2016 8:35 pm

roleplayaj1324 wrote:If you buy those first thing you should do is put good hooks and split rings on them. Especially being from China they more than likely have crappy hardware. And possibly get some suspend dots in case they don't run true. You can try and balance them with the lead dots

Good point. You can always try bigger or smaller hooks, or adding a split ring as well, to get it to suspend if you don't have the dots. I rarely get lucky enough to have one suspend properly out of the box. The water temps will change how they suspend as well.
bassman29 wrote:had another fart and picked up another jig combo. 13 fishing concept A paired with a 7'6 envy mh

I love my Concept A. It's small and light, but deceivingly strong and has a 22lb drag. I've been using it on my frogging and punching rigs the past couple years, and no issues. Only thing I worry about is that one of the gears is aluminum, not brass, but it seems to take the abuse so far just fine. At the rate I'm catching fish so far this year, may not have to worry about it haha
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Apr Fri 08, 2016 9:19 pm

That and a lot of times the cheap China swimbaits dont swim straight. I've used the dots to balance them to swim straight up
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Sat 09, 2016 7:43 am

Ordered a Minn Kota battery charger from Cabela's this morning. Used a $20 coupon, a $30 GC from a previous price adjustment, $33 in Visa Club Points, and will receive a $30 Minn Kota Rebate. So a $250 battery charger is going to run me $132. Plus, I'll receive another $20 or so in Club Points on a 10% rebate promotion that this charger is having since I used my Cabela's Visa for the purchase. I am not a fan of Cabela's for tackle but having a Cabela's Club Visa is good for big ticket items. I have saved a lot over the years by coupling coupons and rebates from the credit card.

I am also making a master list for when Tackle Warehouse has their next sale. Hopefully, they have a tax day sale and I don't have to wait to Memorial Day.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Chitownbasser » Apr Sun 10, 2016 4:50 pm

Gas up fellas. You only live once. I always find myself buying something in the fishing section at Walmart whenever I go for garbage bags or milk. Now off to the Bargain Cave. :lol:
Self proclaimed fishing nerd
Chitownbasser
Minnow

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle & Gear