How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Feb Sat 06, 2016 9:07 am

Aux Pleins wrote:
polishfly wrote:Last round of GAS till ice out I hope. I think I have just about everything I need and I'm pretty sure I can't fit anything else in my new upgraded larger tackle bag...the next one will need wheels. Got some more XPS jerkbaits, some BPS cranks to see how they work, a red mini Whopper Plopper for the river in Indiana, some jigs and a whole lineup of badass frogs, and cant forget feather hooks! Also making a rod holder/gearbox for the back of my yak. My 2 Lexa 100s are with AC Slayer for a tuneup and I'll be picking up some new braid...other than that I'm ready for the fishing apocalypse.

0127162113a.jpg

You know have serious GAS when your loading up on Frogs and the lakes are frozen.

You can never have enough frogs! I just got a nories nf60 frog from Japan.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Feb Sat 06, 2016 9:26 am

Wait, please help I'm about to pull the trigger on a new fly rod...oh no...can't stop...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Feb Sat 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Pull it.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Sat 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Went to Cabela's and bought a trolling motor (Xi5) and sent in my Zillion to AC Slayer for Boca Bearings. I also splurged and bought a Yetti 20 oz tumbler that will see a lot of coffee when fishing.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby apetersen » Feb Sat 06, 2016 1:28 pm

I've had some terrible GAS lately, but I haven't wanted to admit it to anyone - especially my wife. Here's most of the recent acquisitions. I'm still waiting on a new Pflueger Patriarch casting reel and a bunch of pike hair jigs from Jensen's.

Including (left to right, top to bottom):
- Chatterbaits
- XPS suspending jerkbaits
- Suick thrillers
- Plastics
- War Eagle double colorado spinners
- Squarebill
- Whopper Plopper
- OSP bent minnow (still waiting on another of these)
- Storm Flatsticks
- XPS jake clone
- BBZ1 shad
- Livetarget sunfish
- MC Swimbait
- trailer hooks
- Picasso buzzsaw double buzzbaits
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apetersen
Fishing Fanatic

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Feb Sat 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Well I think this is my full haul so far for my gassy winter( waiting on an order from Japan, and more sunline...now to buy more boxes and a bigger backpack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby J.W. » Feb Sat 06, 2016 5:00 pm

My gas has all been related to my future kayak endeavors. I pulled the trigger on some more hardware to get my anchor trolley set up exactly how I want it when I start drilling into the yak. Picked up a couple stainless steel pad eyes, snap hooks, an anchor float, and some specialty well nuts and hardware, as well as some made in USA paddle and fishing pole leashes. Don't have much in the way of tackle left on the list, other than some reapers, shake 2 heads, and to repair my used plastics with mend-it glue.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Feb Sat 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Holy damn...thats 2 pages of GAS already...getting funky up in hur. You guys make me feel so much better, I'm not alone!!! Shit keeps coming here too...random replacement fish eyes here, ice rigger there, kinda mini-Christmas every other day...I'm sure the mail lady hates me cause I have a tiny mailbox...good luck getting that ice rigger in there.

AP!!! You went to town at BPS...that is some serious retail therapy after your icey rod block this morning. I'm impressed with your diverse selection for an unplanned shopping spree.

I already broke the little plastic eye lining on my new rod tip top so I have to have that repaired, or I may call St Croix and see if they will replace it. Funny, havn't heard from Ben at AC Slayer since I sent my reels...I guess I should just e-mail. Cycle continues.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Feb Sat 06, 2016 9:04 pm

apetersen wrote:I've had some terrible GAS lately, but I haven't wanted to admit it to anyone - especially my wife. Here's most of the recent acquisitions. I'm still waiting on a new Pflueger Patriarch casting reel and a bunch of pike hair jigs from Jensen's.

Including (left to right, top to bottom):
- Chatterbaits
- XPS suspending jerkbaits
- Suick thrillers
- Plastics
- War Eagle double colorado spinners
- Squarebill
- Whopper Plopper
- OSP bent minnow (still waiting on another of these)
- Storm Flatsticks
- XPS jake clone
- BBZ1 shad
- Livetarget sunfish
- MC Swimbait
- trailer hooks
- Picasso buzzsaw double buzzbaits

Pretty much has rivers and pike written all over that array presentations.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby apetersen » Feb Sat 06, 2016 10:45 pm

That didn't all come from BPS this morning. I picked up the XPS jerks, the jake clone, and the plastics. I made it out the door for less than $43. The rest of the stuff has come from Tackle Warehouse and amazon. Those bills have been much larger.

Yes, Ski, that assortment is DPR approved. I tried to get out there this morning to try it out, but no luck. With the river up I headed north, but both Russell and Wadsworth were totally frozen over. I drowned my sorrows with a stop at Bass Pro on the way home instead.
apetersen
Fishing Fanatic

Postby polishfly » Feb Sun 07, 2016 8:51 pm

*COUGH* Gander Mountain has Free Shipping right now. *COUGH*
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » Feb Sun 07, 2016 10:02 pm

*MURPH* BPS has free shipping for $20+ right now. *MURPH*
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Mon 08, 2016 9:45 am

After all my moaning about trying to rid myself of crap I broke down and pulled the trigger on a new 5 weight fly rod. Bought a new net and the required 5 wt line too. Some new flies too.

Oh well, have to admit I'm weak. Now I really can't wait for Spring. Thank god all the groundhogs missed their shadows last week.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Mon 08, 2016 10:04 am

Tinley Show this weekend. Another way for you guys to get your fix!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Mon 08, 2016 4:52 pm

My wife just told me there was mail. I said, "anything for me?" She said, "Yes - more fishing crap". She's beginning to recognize the packages...I'm really in deep do-do now.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » Feb Mon 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Rambler wrote:My wife just told me there was mail. I said, "anything for me?" She said, "Yes - more fishing crap". She's beginning to recognize the packages...I'm really in deep do-do now.

Here's the trick...

1) Before you get anything in the mail, prepare the deliveries landscape by "helping" your lady out and suggesting to get all house supplies from online since it costs less and to save her from having to load and unload the car. A few cute tops for her wouldn't hurt either. This makes her an unwitting accessory to the crime.

2) In that storm of the daily deliveries, a couple small boxes of gear and tackle here and there seem so miniscule. This dilutes the actions of your itchy mouse finger.

3) Never unbox the said gear/tackle in visible sight of the wife and allow her to see the joy it brings you since that would divulge the value of said items.

4) Walk slow and unassuming on days of tackle deliveries.

I just started ice fishing this year so it's been tough. This week alone I'm expecting a BPS, Dick's, and Amazon delivery for fishing "crap" and we're already up to our necks in Lysol wipes.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Mon 08, 2016 5:43 pm

All sage advice. Unfortunately after 35 years of marriage and 40 years together I kinda doubt any of that would work. She loves shopping and I'm the one who unloads the car. And if I bought her some "cute tops" she would immediately become suspicious.

Maybe I should try drooling on myself and acting like old age is causing a strange form of dementia - allfishheimers. Hey - that's the ticket!

We'll see what happens when my new fly rod arrives. Watch this space.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WanderOff09 » Feb Mon 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I haven't gone too crazy. I just got a new ice shelter - an Eskimo 3 man hub - just in time for the recent thaw.

I drops some $$$ on new fly tying materials. One of my goals this year is a large pike/musky on the fly, so I had to upsize my arsenal.

I'm also in the process of upgrading camping gear for canoe trips. I ordered a light weight cook kit and another lighter, more packable sleeping bag.
WanderOff09
Game Fish

Postby Dr. Utssab » Feb Mon 08, 2016 6:56 pm

New 4 weight and 7 weight outfits...and about $600 in tying materials that should last me a lifetime! Haha.

I'm actually entering Gear De-acquisition Syndrome and looking to sell off a bunch or rods, reels, and tackle. Stay tuned!
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Feb Mon 08, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm ready to drop at least $200 in gift cards this weekend at the BPS spring classic. probably going to do at least one rod trade in. Have my eye on a mojo bass fly rod. Also need a new musky rod and maybe a bass rod too. If TW has a presidents day sale, I'll probably drop another $50+ on tackle that BPS doesnt carry. praying for an early spring :D
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Tue 09, 2016 5:59 am

FloridaRigger wrote:. If TW has a presidents day sale, I'll probably drop another $50+ on tackle that BPS doesnt carry. praying for an early spring :D

Last year TW didn't have a 15% off President's Day sale so I am not planning on one. They did have a Memorial Day sale @ 15% off.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Kamala » Feb Tue 09, 2016 6:47 am

catchafew wrote:I have too much crap, this is half of the bass stuff not including plastics and flipping/pitching jigs. I really need to downsize to half of what I have, my tackle bag weighs about as much as my trolling motor battery. :oops: I don't like the color selections I have going on either.

This is consolidating all the stuff I could 'find' from various tackle boxes to little pocket cases I put in my jacket when I'm river fishing on foot.

Wow.
Kamala
Fishing Czar

Postby busse bass man » Feb Sun 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Along with my waders and boots here are some of my recent purchases. I also got alot of stuff from MTB and LTB over the past few months. Still feeling the need to gas up some more.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Sun 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Bought a bunch of half price tube jigs at the Tinley show. For as fast I go through them on the lake, 0.40 each for a Gammy hooked tube is about as cheap as you'll find them.

Ordered a Daiwa 2500 Procyon to put on a Doybyns Champ I already own. If I like it, I'll pick up another before the summer. One of the nice things about having a new boat is that I can now carry twice as many combos in the boat.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Feb Sun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Just when j thought I was done...the Internet strikes again. I've been searching for a specific topwater in Japan. With luck but they don't ship to the states argh so in the meantime I placed an eBay order, with a jackall pompadour topwater and gantral swimbait, sunglasses, sunline, live target hollow body sunfish, and a couple duo realis spinbaits. Then I started browsing Amazon and ended up with a couple bags of bio spawn vile crews, a scale, bobber stops, and new braid scissors. Then to top it off 10 bags of plastics from Japan. The secretary at work is going to hate me, but it is better than having it sent to the house and the gf hating me! Lol
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby J.W. » Feb Mon 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Recent GAS relief, all from Tinley show. Many independent/USA made baits.
Milk Run Lures Square Bill-$20, expensive, but hand carved from American Hardwood, and had awesome action in the tank, and great paint job. The lure I'm probably most excited about, and would probably go in after.
Fastway Lures bluegill swimbait-$10, nifty little swimbait, for when I'm chasing a bigger fish
Hook Sharpener-$5
Floating Slop Frogs-$6 each, look like killer baits
Rapala Suspending Husky Jerk, Shad Rap, and Clackin Rap-$5 each, good price
Cheap fish gripper with 15lb pull scale-$5
Weedless little action Mac-$1.59, pretty unique coiling action in the "do-nothing" vein of worm rigs
Heddon Zara Puppy-$2
BioSpawn Vile Craw-$5, Alabama Craw color looks like a nice match hatch for some local holes

Have a list for one more TW order before the season starts, and then I think my GAS should be pretty much expelled. But. . . never say never.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Feb Mon 15, 2016 3:18 pm

JW. Believe it or not that little mac worm is a bass magnet. ~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Mon 15, 2016 3:23 pm

So I bought a new 5 weight fly rod, new flies and fly boxes. Now I'm thinking maybe I also need an 8 weight rod which means a new reel.

It better get warm soon - not sure I can afford much more cabin fever.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Feb Mon 15, 2016 3:26 pm

joetrain wrote:JW. Believe it or not that little mac worm is a bass magnet. ~JOE~

I believe it, Joe. I talked with the gentleman for quite a while -- not sure if he's the owner/creator, but he gave me some great tips on how to maintain it's weedlessness, and how it's basically a no-brainer, and bass tear it to pieces. In hindsight, I should have picked up more, but I have SOOOO many soft plastic worms, and I got his card so I can always order more.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby riverine rodent » Feb Mon 15, 2016 3:56 pm

didn't buy any gear at tinley show, trying to remember the last stuff I bought .
put a dip in your hip, some glide in your stride and come onto the mother ship

finger painting nudes, a real handful
riverine rodent
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Tue 16, 2016 10:37 am

I'm hoping this is the last of my GAS for this winter. Just pulled the trigger on a 9' 8 weight fly rod. Now for new line & backer. After this I'd better be done because if my wife finds out I'll really be done.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Feb Tue 16, 2016 10:50 am

" Just pulled the trigger on a 9' 8 weight fly rod."

LOL my BSP Cart is loaded with the new fly rod, can't pull the trigger yet :evil:

What did u get ?
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Feb Tue 16, 2016 11:49 am

In keeping with my dedication to 'recycle, re-purpose, reuse' I picked up a Flylogic rod on eBay. I did some research & while it doesn't sound like it will threaten Sage or TFO it's a good rod. Even better - it's US-made - which is a big deal with me. It's used but not much.

I got into fly fishing in 1974, did it for a summer and then again some in the 90s. Haven't done any since so I thought I'd give it a fairly serious try. I'm close to retirement so if I'm lucky I'll have time.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Feb Tue 16, 2016 11:53 am

"I got into fly fishing in 1974, did it for a summer and then again some in the 90s."

yup me too. Thought I will give it a try this year. I did really enjoy it as a kid. Just have to see if my old arm and shoulder hold up :roll:
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Tue 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Sometimes putting some new hooks on the oldies gets you through the winter. These creek chubs are still top bait in the boat at times.

IMG_20160216_0143.jpg
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby J.W. » Feb Tue 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Sometimes putting some new hooks on the oldies gets you through the winter. These creek chubs are still top bait in the boat at times.

IMG_20160216_0143.jpg

Niiiice. There was a guy selling a lot of these old school lures at the Tinley show, and reasonably priced. Seems propellers were all the rage at one point in angling history.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Feb Wed 17, 2016 11:10 am

I have one of those. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to use it for fear of losing it.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Fri 19, 2016 6:31 am

Tackle Express was having a 15% off sale so I picked up some Red Label 10 lb line and a bunch of Owner dropshot hooks to get over $30 and get their free shipping.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Feb Fri 19, 2016 8:31 pm

I actually got a few things from tackle express. Two spy baits and a topwater. My plastics came in from Japan too!! I think this is it for my winter haul with this warm weather. except for the stuff in the mail( another swimbait and top waters)
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Absyne » Feb Fri 19, 2016 8:48 pm

My Fishog order is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, very excited! Have to love $1 bags of plastics.
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby apetersen » Feb Fri 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Absyne wrote:My Fishog order is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, very excited! Have to love $1 bags of plastics.

I got my delivery today. Its very nice stuff, especially for $1. Wish I would have found them sooner before some of the stuff sold out.
apetersen
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Absyne » Feb Fri 19, 2016 10:04 pm

apetersen wrote:
Absyne wrote:My Fishog order is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, very excited! Have to love $1 bags of plastics.

I got my delivery today. Its very nice stuff, especially for $1. Wish I would have found them sooner before some of the stuff sold out.

Same, wish I could have gotten more. Though can't complain, got probably a season worth of plastics and a spinner for $17. They're good quality though?
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby Absyne » Feb Sat 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Got my order today, very pleased with the quality (we'll see how they hold up). Definitely going to be checking that site out on a regular basis.
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby Absyne » Feb Sat 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Just checked Fishog, they restocked a bit. Also added a jointed crank for $3.
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Sun 21, 2016 9:56 am

roleplayaj1324 wrote:. Two spy baits and a topwater.

You catch anything on those spybaits? Where are you fishing them if you don't mind me asking.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Feb Sun 21, 2016 11:16 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:
roleplayaj1324 wrote:. Two spy baits and a topwater.

You catch anything on those spybaits? Where are you fishing them if you don't mind me asking.

I haven't used them yet but I plan on throwing them in a pond by my house that's super clear
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Sun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Golf grip rod, dig it.

IMG_20160221_17396.jpg

Clackin baits were on clearance at Cabela's. $5.99

IMG_20160221_8882.jpg
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Skifish1 » Feb Sun 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Bought a bunch of parts online no GAS for me going to make my own top-water prop baits....do some carving, some painting, some drilling, and at some point hopefully some catching.

http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Buzz-Blades/
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Absyne » Feb Sun 21, 2016 5:05 pm

[quote="Skifish1"]Bought a bunch of parts online no GAS for me going to make my own top-water prop baits....do some carving, some painting, some drilling, and at some point hopefully some catching.

Way to show everyone up! :lol:
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby J.W. » Feb Sun 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Golf grip rod, dig it.

IMG_20160221_17396.jpg

Clackin baits were on clearance at Cabela's. $5.99

IMG_20160221_8882.jpg

I like it! I'm tossing around the idea of having a custom spinning rod made and having the winn fishing grips put on it. The rodmaker said that they're great grips, especially for weather, but that durability may be an issue.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle & Gear