How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby mike son » Nov Fri 30, 2018 2:57 pm

big jay wrote:I picked up a 8" triple trout and 8 & 6 inch bull shad's and a travel swimbait rod.

Make with the pics. That's like me saying I picked up a new reel, rod, and a ton of baits recently without posting pics. Tho I may have done that and am too lazy to post pics :lol:

Nice baits you did post though. I really like my 6" ss bull shad, I think you'll really like them if you haven't fished one yet. Burn them, slow roll, rod twitches, full and half turns with pauses thrown in. They can do a lot. Didn't pick up any swimbaits myself during the sales, tho I did have my eye on a tiny klash. I think I'm just going to get a used deps 250 or a nib from Japan and be done. I just like throwing my deps 175s a lot and the bullshad on occassion. Hudds for cold water. The other baits I have just sit.

Heddon - I'm surprised you got your baits already, most of my stuff doesn't get here until Monday and Tuesday
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby mike son » Nov Fri 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:
Phil6 wrote:
Woohoodude11 wrote:my only jerkbait losses this year have been from hard backlashes and I never lost a single one to a bite off

Never forget the triple-whammy :clap:

That's the one :roll:
So pissed that day.

Was this casting off three baits in a row or something? Haha. Sounds like a good story that needs to be shared
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Nov Fri 30, 2018 3:20 pm

mike son wrote:Was this casting off three baits in a row or something? Haha. Sounds like a good story that needs to be shared

Well it started with backlash snapping off a 110+1. Tie on a Lucky Craft 110 and 3 casts later same. Tie on a LiveTarget baitball 110 and first cast same. No not exactly back to back to back but very close.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Nov Fri 30, 2018 4:27 pm

To those using wire leaders on jerk/stick baits:

https://www.amazon.com/Malin-Stainless- ... th=1&psc=1

Way stealthier, way cheaper, and has WAY less impact on lure-balance /buoyancy (because total weight is much less) than any manufactured, pre-made steel leader you'll find in a store or in a package. No hardware/terminal tackle (i.e. split/solid-rings, snaps, swivels) necessary to connect your line to your lure.

How it works:
-Wire to lure: On the back of wire package, it illustrates the haywire-twist, barrel-roll finish that creates a slip-free, yet solid & secure connection to the eye of bait (remove any split-rings that may come on the lure out of package, this stuff is so thin it will easily work its way thru the split).
-Wire to line: double over the end of wire & tie a 5 up, 3 down albright knot (or modified albright, alberto or whatever theyre calling it this year...)...............& thats it! Not a single tool necessary! Your wire-tags should be kinked & snapped off to produce a burr-free connection to lure and line. Only tool needed is clippers to clip tag from your mono, fluoro tag on the albright.

In comparison to traditional steel leader,
Pros:
In addition to those mentioned at top are the ability to make exact lengths, it actually slices vegetation due to ultra-thin diameter, your lures will maintain more of their original action. And also, Im much more confident in my abilty to guarantee a quality finished connection than I am of a mfr's ability who mass produces.
Cons:
If wire gets kinked, it should probably be replaced. Connection takes an extra step or 2 in comparison to simply tying on to swivel of steel leader. (Although, not an issue at all if you prewire steel to lure. Then its just an albright connection to your line), but all-in it probably takes me 1.5-2 minutes tops to take a piece of wire & securely connect it from my line to the lure.

For freshwater applications, the lightest wire in link above (#3-29lb rating) is more than enough for any scenario outside of throwing the largest musky baits on the heaviest gear. I have caught a few 50lb + fish on #3 wire rigged as described.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby big jay » Nov Fri 30, 2018 8:14 pm

mike son wrote:
big jay wrote:I picked up a 8" triple trout and 8 & 6 inch bull shad's and a travel swimbait rod.

Make with the pics. That's like me saying I picked up a new reel, rod, and a ton of baits recently without posting pics. Tho I may have done that and am too lazy to post pics :lol:

Nice baits you did post though. I really like my 6" ss bull shad, I think you'll really like them if you haven't fished one yet. Burn them, slow roll, rod twitches, full and half turns with pauses thrown in. They can do a lot. Didn't pick up any swimbaits myself during the sales, tho I did have my eye on a tiny klash. I think I'm just going to get a used deps 250 or a nib from Japan and be done. I just like throwing my deps 175s a lot and the bullshad on occassion. Hudds for cold water. The other baits I have just sit.

Heddon - I'm surprised you got your baits already, most of my stuff doesn't get here until Monday and Tuesday

Here you go the 8" bull shad has not arrived yet.
8" triple trout I bought it used on eBay because I wanted baby bass.
6" bull shad.
Southern trout eaters DVD.
Okuma nomad xpress travel swimbait rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Fri 30, 2018 11:15 pm

cletedius wrote:To those using wire leaders on jerk/stick baits:

https://www.amazon.com/Malin-Stainless- ... th=1&psc=1

Way stealthier, way cheaper, and has WAY less impact on lure-balance /buoyancy (because total weight is much less) than any manufactured, pre-made steel leader you'll find in a store or in a package. No hardware/terminal tackle (i.e. split/solid-rings, snaps, swivels) necessary to connect your line to your lure.

How it works:
-Wire to lure: On the back of wire package, it illustrates the haywire-twist, barrel-roll finish that creates a slip-free, yet solid & secure connection to the eye of bait (remove any split-rings that may come on the lure out of package, this stuff is so thin it will easily work its way thru the split).
-Wire to line: double over the end of wire & tie a 5 up, 3 down albright knot (or modified albright, alberto or whatever theyre calling it this year...)...............& thats it! Not a single tool necessary! Your wire-tags should be kinked & snapped off to produce a burr-free connection to lure and line. Only tool needed is clippers to clip tag from your mono, fluoro tag on the albright.

In comparison to traditional steel leader,
Pros:
In addition to those mentioned at top are the ability to make exact lengths, it actually slices vegetation due to ultra-thin diameter, your lures will maintain more of their original action. And also, Im much more confident in my abilty to guarantee a quality finished connection than I am of a mfr's ability who mass produces.
Cons:
If wire gets kinked, it should probably be replaced. Connection takes an extra step or 2 in comparison to simply tying on to swivel of steel leader. (Although, not an issue at all if you prewire steel to lure. Then its just an albright connection to your line), but all-in it probably takes me 1.5-2 minutes tops to take a piece of wire & securely connect it from my line to the lure.

For freshwater applications, the lightest wire in link above (#3-29lb rating) is more than enough for any scenario outside of throwing the largest musky baits on the heaviest gear. I have caught a few 50lb + fish on #3 wire rigged as described.

Yeah Skifish highly recommended tie-able wire I was just unable to locate 12 or 15# I think the lowest I could find was 20# and felt wire that heavy would effect the darting action (of jerkbaits) based on my experience with 18# packaged leaders. What I did not take into account is that what you guys are saying is that the single wire strand is actually a smaller diameter than the twisted wire? Also, do you know if it comes in lower test than 29#?

Regarding failure of the crimps and terminal tackle of the pre-package ones we've been using, it just hasn't happened yet. I know it could on the next fish but I've been extremely surprised at the level of consistent quality. I've had Pike up to 36" hammer a lipless on me using the 5" 18# and caught my first good Tiger trolling a jerkbait on the 5" 12#...the fact it did not fail on that hit says a lot about their strength & quality. I did however replace it immediately, lol. Also once tied on, I rarely if ever have to retie a new one on and if I do, it's a quick Palomar and I'm back in bidness. I discard them at the end of the day. Again, I'm open minded enough to try new stuff, after all this is just the first year of fishing with leaders but you can see why I/we have confidence in what's worked so far.

Btw, I really like the 1 titanium wire I tried and when we night fish we try to go with 8 or 9" 27, 36 & 45# wire. I can definitely see the benefits of what you're suggesting for this
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Dr. Utssab » Dec Sat 01, 2018 12:33 am

HEDDONFROG

Look up Cortland SST 10

Or ask some pike/musky fly fisherman. They’ll have good recommendations as you always want as little additional weight as possible throwing a fly of any size.
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Dec Sat 01, 2018 4:04 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Yeah Skifish highly recommended tie-able wire I was just unable to locate 12 or 15# I think the lowest I could find was 20# and felt wire that heavy would effect the darting action (of jerkbaits) based on my experience with 18# packaged leaders. What I did not take into account is that what you guys are saying is that the single wire strand is actually a smaller diameter than the twisted wire? Also, do you know if it comes in lower test than 29#?
Regarding failure of the crimps and terminal tackle of the pre-package ones we've been using, it just hasn't happened yet. I know it could on the next fish but I've been extremely surprised at the level of consistent quality. I've had Pike up to 36" hammer a lipless on me using the 5" 18# and caught my first good Tiger trolling a jerkbait on the 5" 12#...the fact it did not fail on that hit says a lot about their strength & quality. I did however replace it immediately, lol. Also once tied on, I rarely if ever have to retie a new one on and if I do, it's a quick Palomar and I'm back in bidness. I discard them at the end of the day. Again, I'm open minded enough to try new stuff, after all this is just the first year of fishing with leaders but you can see why I/we have confidence in what's worked so far.
Btw, I really like the 1 titanium wire I tried and when we night fish we try to go with 8 or 9" 27, 36 & 45# wire. I can definitely see the benefits of what you're suggesting for this

No doubt that traditional multi-strand, crimped, swiveled leaders have caught millions of fish & will catch millions more. Much the way mono worked perfectly fine long before braided line became mainstream & still works today. I have also used the tie-able wire leaders & they work too. I still use/prefer tie-able for certain apps, too. My suggestion of single strand wire was due more to its diameter & its lack of impact on a light minnow baits action/buoyancy. Its noticeably thinner than multi or tie-able wire. A lure twisted on wire works the same as a lure connected via snap to the eye. I use the stuff a lot when throwing #10 xrap-sized baits for mackerels, cudas (super sensitive to gawdy hardware) in water with 50-100' of visibility. As far as lighter wire, you may find some, but cant think of any real reason you'd need to. The #3-29lb single-strand is some pretty darned thin stuff as it is.
Couple tips should you decide to try it:
The bag it comes in is kind of a pain to store without bending it, or having wind blow it around. The fix? Open package & cut single lengths of at least 2x as long as what you want to use for length(if desired length is 12" or less, for longer leaders, less excess is fine). Take a scrap piece of smallest diameter pvc pipe & buy 2 end caps for it. Can even drill tiny hole in 1 end of cap & make it a dispenser (probably less than 2$ total cost). This stores it quite easy & convenient to grab individual piece of wire on the fly. A 1/2" dia. piece of pvc can probably hold a lifetimes worth of wire leaders, just cut the length a bit longer than length you forsee using.
When making your twist/ tie connections, allow ample tag end(hence the suggestion to allow for double the actual desired leader length), it makes it so much easier to bend a "lever" in the tag to use to cleanly twist/break the tag end off perfectly. Get a much cleaner finish by bending/twisting&breaking tag off than cutting or snipping it off. Really feel dumb having to type this much to try and describe a procedure that takes so little, but such are my literary skills.

I certainly didnt invent any of this, wish I could claim being that clever. It was taught to me by charter& commercial fisherman whos liveliehoods are directly dependant on putting fish in the boat :wink: . Twisting up wire leader is pretty much a prerequisite to getting work on an offshore boat down here. If it takes much more than a minute, you get that universal cross-eyed look from the bridge helm :shock:
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby mike son » Dec Mon 03, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm done with the rod and reel GAS for awhile after this. Was pretty impressed using heddon's Tatula SV skipping a chatterbait around awhile back. Always had my eye on the reel and the rod is exactly what I've wanted for heavier jigs. A few things came together and here we are. I've gone to the dark side. Steez SV TW 7.1:1 on a G Loomis NRX 873c.

mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Tue 04, 2018 12:16 am

mike son wrote:I'm done with the rod and reel GAS for awhile after this. Was pretty impressed using heddon's Tatula SV skipping a chatterbait around awhile back. Always had my eye on the reel and the rod is exactly what I've wanted for heavier jigs. A few things came together and here we are. I've gone to the dark side. Steez SV TW 7.1:1 on a G Loomis NRX 873c.

You'll hate the Steez and go crying back to momma Shimano...therefore selling me the Steez :D

Joe, don't look it up
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Tue 04, 2018 12:30 am

Dr. Utssab wrote:HEDDONFROG

Look up Cortland SST 10

Or ask some pike/musky fly fisherman. They’ll have good recommendations as you always want as little additional weight as possible throwing a fly of any size.

Thank you. Looks good too

cletedius wrote:No doubt that traditional multi-strand, crimped, swiveled leaders have caught millions of fish & will catch millions more. Much the way mono worked perfectly fine long before braided line became mainstream & still works today. I have also used the tie-able wire leaders & they work too. I still use/prefer tie-able for certain apps, too. My suggestion of single strand wire was due more to its diameter & its lack of impact on a light minnow baits action/buoyancy. Its noticeably thinner than multi or tie-able wire. A lure twisted on wire works the same as a lure connected via snap to the eye. I use the stuff a lot when throwing #10 xrap-sized baits for mackerels, cudas (super sensitive to gawdy hardware) in water with 50-100' of visibility. As far as lighter wire, you may find some, but cant think of any real reason you'd need to. The #3-29lb single-strand is some pretty darned thin stuff as it is.
Couple tips should you decide to try it:
The bag it comes in is kind of a pain to store without bending it, or having wind blow it around. The fix? Open package & cut single lengths of at least 2x as long as what you want to use for length(if desired length is 12" or less, for longer leaders, less excess is fine). Take a scrap piece of smallest diameter pvc pipe & buy 2 end caps for it. Can even drill tiny hole in 1 end of cap & make it a dispenser (probably less than 2$ total cost). This stores it quite easy & convenient to grab individual piece of wire on the fly. A 1/2" dia. piece of pvc can probably hold a lifetimes worth of wire leaders, just cut the length a bit longer than length you forsee using.
When making your twist/ tie connections, allow ample tag end(hence the suggestion to allow for double the actual desired leader length), it makes it so much easier to bend a "lever" in the tag to use to cleanly twist/break the tag end off perfectly. Get a much cleaner finish by bending/twisting&breaking tag off than cutting or snipping it off. Really feel dumb having to type this much to try and describe a procedure that takes so little, but such are my literary skills.

I certainly didnt invent any of this, wish I could claim being that clever. It was taught to me by charter& commercial fisherman whos liveliehoods are directly dependant on putting fish in the boat :wink: . Twisting up wire leader is pretty much a prerequisite to getting work on an offshore boat down here. If it takes much more than a minute, you get that universal cross-eyed look from the bridge helm :shock:

I'm exhausted haha. I looked up how to tie them on the tube of you. Seems easy enough, though making ones less than 10" with my stubby little Hobbit hands might be more difficult. I actually like the idea of using a longer leader than the 5" I've been buying/using for bait safety sake. Thanks again, I'll report back but probably won't be until next year after I blow through my current leaders
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Dec Tue 04, 2018 6:49 am

I used the Cortland wire when I would pike fish the DPR. I probably tie it wrong but it works. I keep mine in a plastic case that sawzall blades come in. Fits in my tackle bag and holds plenty.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Wed 05, 2018 7:41 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Joe, don't look it up

This made me giggle :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Wed 05, 2018 9:04 am

I've probably purchased over $1000 in new fishing related items this year 8) , that's about average. But my favorite purchase came out of the bargain bin known as Craigslist. Because every angler needs 2 shantys and I already have a larger 2 man, I'd figured I'd score a smaller shelter for myself. No weird trips to the basement or free mouth hugs, just a straight transaction in the driveway and done.

The shanty had never been on ice according to the owner and the guys receipt said he paid $229 in 1992. Now I can say I got a brand new 26yr old off craigslist :lol: The shanty is really light weight and much bigger than a typical 1man. The bottom is built like a sled and the whole thing folds into a tobaggon for hauling all my gear around. No need for a sled or my usual balancing act of gear a top the 2man shanty.

IMG_20181205_8690.jpg

IMG_20181205_22753.jpg

IMG_20181205_41873.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Dec Wed 05, 2018 9:57 am

Aux Pleins wrote:The shanty had never been on ice

Sweet set-up and a great deal.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Dec Wed 05, 2018 11:39 am

That looks like the one I sold to Zenfish before I moved. I think it was a Sno-boat. It was from that era. I called the company and asked if they had any rejects and they sent me one for $100. I couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I loved that shanty. Just enough room for one person with an old school metal folding chair.

I had 3 shanties. Just sayin.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Dec Wed 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Very nice Aux. Point of order though, your score belongs in the ice fishing edition GAS thread. https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=72689&p=887226&hilit=gas+ice+edition#p734649
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Dec Wed 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:The bottom is built like a sled and the whole thing folds into a tobaggon for hauling all my gear around.

Just a heads up, if theres any snowfall that sled will act like a plow and become difficult to pull. I don't personally own one but that's what I keep hearing about, if you find this to be an issue I would recommend building a smitty sled (you may already know about this). I'll be using one for hauling my hub and gear
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Wed 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Phil6 wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote:The bottom is built like a sled and the whole thing folds into a tobaggon for hauling all my gear around.

Just a heads up, if theres any snowfall that sled will act like a plow and become difficult to pull. I don't personally own one but that's what I keep hearing about, if you find this to be an issue I would recommend building a smitty sled (you may already know about this). I'll be using one for hauling my hub and gear

Thats how the 2man shelter is because it's just flat on the front. This shanty has a tapered sled front end, kinda of like skis. Should be a little better than the 2man, still not quite a Kawasaki.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby big jay » Dec Wed 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Just picked up a custom painted bull shad in crappie.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby Lip_Yanker » Dec Thu 06, 2018 4:27 pm

mike son wrote:I'm done with the rod and reel GAS for awhile after this. Was pretty impressed using heddon's Tatula SV skipping a chatterbait around awhile back. Always had my eye on the reel and the rod is exactly what I've wanted for heavier jigs. A few things came together and here we are. I've gone to the dark side. Steez SV TW 7.1:1 on a G Loomis NRX 873c.

That's combo is worth more than I've spent total on gear in the last 5+ years.

Nice looking though!

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Tue 08, 2019 2:27 am

Early morning gear porn for Ramble, lol.

I’m bored and can’t sleep...oh wait, that’s every night. Here’s most of my December early January GAS. Looks like a lot of $ but I did some serious bargain shopping. Daiwa Steez Flex-lite 6’-5” ML jerkbait rod I won on an eBay auction. New ones on eBay (JDM model) retail over $500, I paid under $200 w/shipping. I tore my hair out looking for a reel to match with it because the thing only weighs 3.3ozs and needed a very light reel to balance it. Found a killer deal at TW on a Lew’s Tour Pro Magnesium (5.3ozs, retail $279 for $159) and after talking to Joe T, I decided to pull the trigger. Good call Joe. In the short time I’ve had it (2 outings) I’m enjoying the hell out of this combo...which weighs in at 8.6 ozs for both rod-n-reel or about an oz more than one of my Tatula SV’s weighs by itself. Fatigue free jerkin’ gotta love it. Also got a killer deal on a Abu Revo X-Winch cranking reel. I don’t deep crank much, just on LM, so I’m not spending big $ on a cranking reel so this will work great. Found it on sale on eBay for $63, retails for $99. Received a great review on Tackle Tour and is every bit as smooth as they said it is. Feels like a much more expensive reel but I ordered a carbon fiber reel handle for it with 2 bearing per knobs to dress it up a little. Still on its way from the PRC. Lastly some MegaBass Vision 110, 110 Jrs. and 110 Silent Riser shallow jerkbaits and yes the Vision 110 photos are mine...told you I was bored, haha but to be fair automotive marketing photography is what I do, so it’s fun to me
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Tue 08, 2019 7:53 am

Holy crap Heddon! I'm not into bait casters so gotta ask, what's with the 5.4:1 gear ratio? Seems kinda slow.

Also, for some reason (probably a side effect of cabin fever) I'm jonesing for a new rod. Anybody got any thoughts on Fishing 13 Omen rods?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Tue 08, 2019 8:04 am

Rambler wrote: Anybody got any thoughts on Fishing 13 Omen rods?

They're really nice rods for the price point.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Michalski » Jan Tue 08, 2019 9:20 am

Might be a little more expensive than 13 fishing but I would highly recommend looking at the Dobyns rods.

Another option to consider would be one of the Dobyns rods. Currently they have fury 703 spinning (refurbished) for $80 with free shipping.
I bought one of the refurbished rods from them and it looked like new.
Michalski
Minnow

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Tue 08, 2019 10:31 am

Rambler wrote:Holy crap Heddon! I'm not into bait casters so gotta ask, what's with the 5.4:1 gear ratio? Seems kinda slow.

Also, for some reason (probably a side effect of cabin fever) I'm jonesing for a new rod. Anybody got any thoughts on Fishing 13 Omen rods?

Low gear ratio BC reels are used primarily for high resistance lures, like deep diving cranks, slow rolling big Colorado spinnerbaits and big swimbaits. Think about the low gear on a 4wd or just low gear on your car or truck...you ain’t got speed but you have lots of twisting power/torque. It’s why Abu calls their Crankin reels the “Winch”

I’ve never used Spinning rods by either 13 fishing or Dobyns so can’t offer any opinions. Have had both in casting and both were fine specimens. I have read recently that the new Shimano SLX rod series is probably going to be the new benchmark for $100 rods, might be worth looking into. Research being half the fun and all
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jan Tue 08, 2019 4:02 pm

Oh man!! This thread still kickin?? I've been GASsing mass amounts of camping gear for the Tanto Trailer! I may be replacing a few rods come spring, but mostly cant wait to get out and enjoy the outdoors again! Hope to see you guys out there soon
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby big jay » Jan Tue 08, 2019 5:18 pm

I just picked up a Diawa tatula spinning reel 3000 chx this thing is awesome.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jan Tue 08, 2019 6:04 pm

polishfly wrote:Oh man!! This thread still kickin?? I've been GASsing mass amounts of camping gear for the Tanto Trailer! I may be replacing a few rods come spring, but mostly cant wait to get out and enjoy the outdoors again! Hope to see you guys out there soon

PF: I think this thread is ample evidence that you're a shill for the tackle industry. :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Tue 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Carbon fiber handle for the Revo X came in the mail today. I’m diggin how it looks and how the rubberized cork grips feel
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Tue 08, 2019 11:00 pm

May pull the trigger on a huge GAS purchase. Debating a membership at Wilmington sportsmans club... $1100 initial purchase with $300 yearly dues every year after.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Tue 08, 2019 11:46 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:May pull the trigger on a huge GAS purchase. Debating a membership at Wilmington sportsmans club... $1100 initial purchase with $300 yearly dues every year after.

Do it Nick!!
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Wed 09, 2019 6:46 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:May pull the trigger on a huge GAS purchase. Debating a membership at Wilmington sportsmans club... $1100 initial purchase with $300 yearly dues every year after.

Do it Nick!!

Leaning hard towards doing it Dave. Odds are very high that I pull the trigger and do it.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Sat 12, 2019 2:01 am

big jay wrote:I just picked up a Diawa tatula spinning reel 3000 chx this thing is awesome.

Jay can you elaborate a little more on why you like your Tat spinner? I was thinking of getting one and I think Bassin_Ted was as well, though he might have already picked one up. I wanted one for their low weight, 6.5ozs. If I recall correctly but what I didn’t like about it compared to my Stadic FK was how plasitickey and hollow it felt. I was hoping after use that feeling might not be an issue.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Sat 12, 2019 2:11 am

Received my remaining order from Japan, for my MegaBass magnum Visions...I’m going to use the MG Secret Shadow one for night fishing. I also picked up some less expensive but still very effective jerks for when I’m shore fishing unfamiliar waters. The magnum X-rap wasn’t on the list but I liked the 3/4oz weight and how beefy it is compared to how slim and dainty my other jerks are, though not a fan of only 2 trebles
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jan Sat 12, 2019 7:08 am

The X-raps catch fish. BPS used to make a decent suspending jerk bait. I don’t know if they still do. Caught two bass on one lure with one. I have switched out some of my jerk baits to single hooks.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Sat 12, 2019 12:44 pm

joetrain wrote:Caught two bass on one lure with one. I have switched out some of my jerk baits to single hooks.
~JOE~

You know they’re fired up when that happens. Did you start going with a single for pike or salt water fish?
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jan Sat 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Pike. I bought a few salt water Yo Zuri jerks that came with single hooks.

https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/sing ... -x-strong/

~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby big jay » Jan Sat 12, 2019 9:37 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:
big jay wrote:I just picked up a Diawa tatula spinning reel 3000 chx this thing is awesome.

Jay can you elaborate a little more on why you like your Tat spinner? I was thinking of getting one and I think Bassin_Ted was as well, though he might have already picked one up. I wanted one for their low weight, 6.5ozs. If I recall correctly but what I didn’t like about it compared to my Stadic FK was how plasitickey and hollow it felt. I was hoping after use that feeling might not be an issue.

I only used the reel twice so far but the main thing I like about s the weight.It feels solid not like plastic and I didn't feel any flexing in the reel. It's super light my whole combo weighs 9.9 oz. I fell the line capacity is less than advertised but I run 10lb braid so it's not a issue. If you want more line capacity go with a deep spool.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby big jay » Jan Sat 12, 2019 9:42 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:Received my remaining order from Japan, for my MegaBass magnum Visions...I’m going to use the MG Secret Shadow one for night fishing. I also picked up some less expensive but still very effective jerks for when I’m shore fishing unfamiliar waters. The magnum X-rap wasn’t on the list but I liked the 3/4oz weight and how beefy it is compared to how slim and dainty my other jerks are, though not a fan of only 2 trebles

Have you seen the new megabass vision 110+2 deep jerkbaits they look great for deep water.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Sun 13, 2019 1:39 am

big jay wrote:
HEDDONFROG wrote:Received my remaining order from Japan, for my MegaBass magnum Visions...I’m going to use the MG Secret Shadow one for night fishing. I also picked up some less expensive but still very effective jerks for when I’m shore fishing unfamiliar waters. The magnum X-rap wasn’t on the list but I liked the 3/4oz weight and how beefy it is compared to how slim and dainty my other jerks are, though not a fan of only 2 trebles

Have you seen the new megabass vision 110+2 deep jerkbaits they look great for deep water.

Thanks for the additional insight on the Tat spinner. Probably wouldn’t need the extra capacity of the deep spool but it is cool that they offer both options.

I did hear about the +2 visions and pre-ordered a couple to try out. Tackle supply depot may have a color or two still available if you want to grab a couple. Delivery is estimated around the end of February. Here’s a photo from the top of the +2 Vs a Pointer XD. Different but still similarly broad and I’m sure going to create quite a bit more resistance than the +1 but hopefully way less torque than a KVD Deep. I’m looking forward to fishing it this spring
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jan Mon 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Its a rare occasion that I share my GAS with those not in my immediate physical range, in the same vehicle, turning down an aisle in that I just left at the store, or any other confined space, but this had me so excited, I needed to share it with the world.

Hair jigs have become more & more of a relied upon method for some of the scenarios I encounter in fresh or saltwater. Unfortunately, most of my tools for making them came from a fly-tying starter kit that I still recall riding home on my bicycle from Ed Shirleys back in the early to mid 80s. For the last 10yrs or so, using the vise required a small pile of finishing nails to replace all the friction pins that snapped years ago. Well, those days are over! (At least I hope).
Not necessarily "high-end", but feels like a move out of the dark ages compared to my old crippled vise. After depleting my most recent supply of finishing nails making a few peacock jigs, came to the realization that I could indeed buy a new vise! Shopped around & settled on this anvil apex vise, mostly because of the rotary ability, included a fixed clamp & portable base, but mostly because of the sweet deal I found on fleabay.
The retired vise:
(Notice the nail & rust holding it together!)
Heres a little smaller, less gratifying gas blast from last week, the gambler flap'n shad. Becoming my favorite fluke-style bait & I was running low, so I made a trip to the evil empire of BPS because anyplace local seem to be void of them.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Wed 16, 2019 3:33 am

Hey Pat, thanks for posting those Gambler flukes. I’ll have to try those with that flap tail. Always looking for new flukes to try. If you’re ever interested in trying a slightly longer and probably way heavier soft jerk, try these out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trophy-Lures-7 ... 2369921263

They’re 7” and weigh 3/4oz. They cast a mile and sink faster than zoom magnum flukes. Work well in the 6’ to 12’ range. Definitely require a stout rod and braid to get a good set at distance. These other ones I haven’t tried yet but man do they look killer. Though quite expensive for a 3 pack

http://www.producerswimbaits.com/Jumbo% ... Tails.html

When using soft jerks I’ve found these little o-rings perform magic keeping your flukes from sliding, both down the hook shaft and from the eye. Also work great for chunk trailers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bait-Pegs-100- ... nav=SEARCH
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jan Wed 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Rambler wrote:Holy crap Heddon! I'm not into bait casters so gotta ask, what's with the 5.4:1 gear ratio? Seems kinda slow.

HEDDONFROG wrote:

Low gear ratio BC reels are used primarily for high resistance lures, like deep diving cranks, slow rolling big Colorado spinnerbaits and big swimbaits. Think about the low gear on a 4wd or just low gear on your car or truck...you ain’t got speed but you have lots of twisting power/torque. It’s why Abu calls their Crankin reels the “Winch”

I’ve never used Spinning rods by either 13 fishing or Dobyns so can’t offer any opinions. Have had both in casting and both were fine specimens. I have read recently that the new Shimano SLX rod series is probably going to be the new benchmark for $100 rods, might be worth looking into. Research being half the fun and all

Some of my favorite crank reels are the older Shimano E5, I wore a couple out and only have 2 left that are functioning. I also have a couple older Abu C3 or 4 (?) that are a 4:6.1 ratio- great for bottom contact slow rolling big spinners in cold water.

No insight on the Omen rods, sorry Rambler. Bu they, the Cowgirls lost eh?

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Wed 16, 2019 11:53 pm

big jay wrote:Have you seen the new megabass vision 110+2 deep jerkbaits they look great for deep water.

Jay, here’s the new +2 in action. Wish he said the line test he uses to get the bait down to 16’ but I’m hoping with 10 or 12lb FC, they’ll get down to at least 12’

https://youtu.be/7LxG2Knxv8c
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jan Thu 17, 2019 2:23 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:When using soft jerks I’ve found these little o-rings perform magic keeping your flukes from sliding, both down the hook shaft and from the eye.

Ever try rigging flukes on a gamakatsu skip-gap hook? Not an end-all be-all, but when im not using a screw-lock hook the skip gaps seem better than most at keeping a semi-torn fluke properly positioned on the shank. Works pretty good on senkos, too.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Tue 05, 2019 1:26 am

cletedius wrote:
HEDDONFROG wrote:When using soft jerks I’ve found these little o-rings perform magic keeping your flukes from sliding, both down the hook shaft and from the eye.

Ever try rigging flukes on a gamakatsu skip-gap hook? Not an end-all be-all, but when im not using a screw-lock hook the skip gaps seem better than most at keeping a semi-torn fluke properly positioned on the shank. Works pretty good on senkos, too.

Yikes, sorry I didn’t see your post Pat. I have not tried those. Standard Gamy wide gap off sets (because I have tons of them) screws locks and I have to use 7/0 owner beast screw locks on the Trophy lures soft jerks. They’re big beasts
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Tue 05, 2019 1:29 am

-

Posting these for Big Jay because you can’t PM pics.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Feb Tue 05, 2019 3:01 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:I have not tried those. Standard Gamy wide gap off sets (because I have tons of them) screws locks and I have to use 7/0 owner beast screw locks on the Trophy lures soft jerks. They’re big beasts

I love the owner screw-lock hooks for the ease of rigging baits perfectly straight & excellent quality hooks, but hate that often a bait is 1&done on the hookset due to the screw-lock ripping up the nose of the bait too much. I still use them, but always think to myself there has to be a better way. The gammy skip-gaps require a bit more focus & patience to get perfectly straight, but I do think they allow a few more hooksets out of a single plastic bait.......maybe :roll:
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Feb Tue 05, 2019 4:10 am

Had a bit of GAS this past week of a different sort.
In the past, winter has been a time for lure-crafting for me, as I have little to no use for ice-fishing. Unfortunately, almost all of my tackle-making supplies still reside up north. Also, my main supplier of materials( https://m.facebook.com/reinkebro/ )is in Milwaukee, & its been about 1.5yrs since ive last had the opportunity to stop in & reload on materials. Been going thru leadheads/hair jigs with a little frequency, & am pretty much down to a few handfulls of plain jigheads, so finally called my main man Bob to mail order my fix!

When I asked for a jar of pro-tec alewife powder, he told me he'd have to check & see if he had it because he only had 1 or 2 people from FL who actually buy that color, so he doesnt keep a lot in stock :D . We had a good laugh when I gave him my shipping address.

A few bucktails
Some hackle strings & flashabou
& some powder paints & glitter!

I cant say its particularly "fun" tying jigs, but as it pertains to hair jigs, specifically for peacocks, I find the old saying, "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself", applicable.

Rarely do I feel compelled to throw a plug in for a private business, but feel its appropriate for any of you who do any lure-crafting, tackle-making, fly-tying, Reinke Bros. in Milwaukee is hands-down THE best selection, price, & source of actual knowledge for all associated supplies in a brick/mortar store. I highly recommend them!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle & Gear