How's your GAS lately?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Re: How's your GAS lately?

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Tue 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Looks great! Especially the paint work you do on the heads.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Tue 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Pat, still got my address right? ;) Looking good and sounds like you're having fun
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Sun 17, 2019 9:22 am

Had some bad GAS this morning. Started planning out my arsenal for Braidwood in a couple weeks and somehow I have several more rods than baitcasters. That's unacceptable. Being a Daiwa man and considering the crazy reviews the reel received, I ordered a Tatula SV TWS. The reel is going for $180 on the Tackle Trap and a buddy gave me a 10% savings code. Plus, I'll sell the HUK shirt Daiwa is giving away for a promotion for $25 or so. Figure that reel will cost me approximately $140.

Also picked up some Zoom boot tail swimbaits and Jackall Rythmn Shad off the discount rack. Got some owner Owner underspin, swimbait hooks as well to try.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Sun 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Aaaaaand here we go.

Every year, I make my big purchases in the offseason and free up my budget. This keeps my goals fresh in my mind so I don't end up waiting until the season starts and I forget what I wanted to do because of what is currently working. Believe it or not, it saves me a ton of money. Over the course of the season, I generally am able to keep purchases cheap because all I need is terminal tackle and soft plastics. But enough of that. Lets start with the big ticket stuff.

I got the Shimano Curado DC that I made a main objective of the offseason. Remarkably more simple than the Scorpion I already own and reviews can't seem to praise it enough.

Deeper Pro+ castable sonar. I really wanted this after the iBobber left a bad taste in my mouth. This one has GPS built in and I can map out entire lakes, some of which don't have a map available anywhere. Up top is a $26 combo I bought from Walmart exclusively for the Deeper. I don't need anything fancy, portability of a 2 piece is a must, and if I break it who gives a shit?

Carbonlite 2.0 spinning reel. Explained that already.

Barely Pictured, a Dobyns Savvy froggin rod. My favorite pond doubles as my favorite place to frog. During that section of the year, I almost only fish the frog. This was needed.

I got a Lucky Tackle Box 3 month subscription. I've used a lot of stuff I never would have when I had the Mystery Tackle Box subscription. Figured I'd try a change of pace with LTB. First box was meh...3 crankbaits among other stuff.

A boat bag I got for $10 on sale at BPS a couple months ago. I need more organization in my life. You should see what my living room looks like to the left of this pic. :oops:

A small BPS branded camelbak. $15 the same day I got the boat bag. My Camelbak was too big and I feel it contributed to my back issues last year.

The misses got me a cooling towel. Crucial.

Not gonna bore y'all with the lure explainations. Except that snake. I've watched a lot of Youtube videos on it and it has a killer action. Why the hell not, right? Oh and as for the 2 bags of Googan baits that I talked crap about...they were gifted to me by my Googan fan dad :lol:.

Is it Spring yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Feb Sun 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:Had some bad GAS this morning. Started planning out my arsenal for Braidwood in a couple weeks and somehow I have several more rods than baitcasters. That's unacceptable. Being a Daiwa man and considering the crazy reviews the reel received, I ordered a Tatula SV TWS. The reel is going for $180 on the Tackle Trap and a buddy gave me a 10% savings code. Plus, I'll sell the HUK shirt Daiwa is giving away for a promotion for $25 or so. Figure that reel will cost me approximately $140.

Also picked up some Zoom boot tail swimbaits and Jackall Rythmn Shad off the discount rack. Got some owner Owner underspin, swimbait hooks as well to try.

What ratio is that Tatula at? How does it compare to the HD models? I love my Tatulas! Is that shirt still up for grabs? If so what size?
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Mon 18, 2019 6:25 am

polishfly wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:Had some bad GAS this morning. Started planning out my arsenal for Braidwood in a couple weeks and somehow I have several more rods than baitcasters. That's unacceptable. Being a Daiwa man and considering the crazy reviews the reel received, I ordered a Tatula SV TWS. The reel is going for $180 on the Tackle Trap and a buddy gave me a 10% savings code. Plus, I'll sell the HUK shirt Daiwa is giving away for a promotion for $25 or so. Figure that reel will cost me approximately $140.

What ratio is that Tatula at? How does it compare to the HD models? I love my Tatulas! Is that shirt still up for grabs? If so what size?

I went with a 6.3 ratio. I don't know how it compares specifically with the HD models but the reviews are tremendous from every place I read. It was an editor's choice from Tackle Tour and about the only negative things I have read about the reel are from Dave on this site. I don't have the shirt yet since I will order it when the reel arrives. I always get an XL when I am going to sell something later but if you want the shirt at a different size we can arrange something.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Feb Mon 18, 2019 12:47 pm

One of the most important things you can bring fishing is good company. This past October after 13 years I had to say goodbye to my best fishing buddy:

IMG_18022019_112750_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

I still miss him a ton, but there in empty feeling in the house and the time came to welcome another dog. This is Bella, she's one. Looking forward to bringing her to the forest preserves, shore fishing, and seeing how she takes to a boat ride. She will learn the ropes with my girlfriend's daughter who is almost 5 and looking forward to her first time fishing when it warms up:

IMG_18022019_112546_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_18022019_112535_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_18022019_112521_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby big jay » Feb Mon 18, 2019 8:31 pm

I got a new bullshad and had my buddy do a custom paint job in golden shiner for me it turned out great.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Mon 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:
polishfly wrote:

I went with a 6.3 ratio. I don't know how it compares specifically with the HD models but the reviews are tremendous from every place I read. It was an editor's choice from Tackle Tour and about the only negative things I have read about the reel are from Dave on this site. I don't have the shirt yet since I will order it when the reel arrives. I always get an XL when I am going to sell something later but if you want the shirt at a different size we can arrange something.

Paul, the issues I've had with mine are known problems that guys on the Tackle Tour forum have discussed and Daiwa knows about one issue. I thought it was one of those "Just my reel" issues but others have encountered the 2 main problems I have had. There is a very small pin that is connected to the spool shaft and 2 of them sheared off two of my SV's (I have 4 SV's) causing it to scream like a DC reel when casting it and probably effected casting performance though I didn't notice much difference. One I had serviced under warranty and it was recently returned from Daiwa service. The whole spool assembly was replaced and, they even replaced the palming sideplate that I had accidentally pulled paint off of while trying to address problem #2. The Mag dial tension spring doesn't provide enough well, tension, causing the mag dial to move under normal use. You'll have it set at say 4 and notice your casts getting shorter, you'll look down and see the dial is now at 16. This is the most commonly discussed issue on Tackle Tour & Bass Resource and I discussed the problem with Daiwa's Customer Relations manager at the fishing show and he said to email him and he would see about sending stronger springs. I sent him an email and he replied that he's looking into it and will get back to me. Only been a week, we'll see. The problem is acerbated by how and where your palm comes into contact with the Mag dial. My temporary fix has always been to put a piece of electrical tape over the dial but I really shouldn't have to do that. It holds my settings and makes the dial less noticeable/uncomfortable. Terrible location for the dial if you aren't going to hide it under a hood. All my SV's are fairly early production first year models, they may have addressed the weak pin's and tension spring. The 2 that haven't had pin issues are tight, quiet and smooth as hell

Now with all that said...I still love the performance and effortless casting. Its ability to cast lures into a stiff wind are unmatched by any reel I've ever used. If I'm going to grab one rod and reel and make a run to a local pond and I know I'm going to need effortless distance, I'll grab an SV over the Bantam MGL, Curado 70 or K. I'm waiting for the next gen Tat 100 SV in the smaller profile to come out. I'll try one out and if its a good upgrade I'll probably swap them all out

If you have tension spring issues, this "may" be the guy to contact. I'll let you know when and if I hear back
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Mon 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Brett wrote:One of the most important things you can bring fishing is good company. This past October after 13 years I had to say goodbye to my best fishing buddy:

I still miss him a ton, but there in empty feeling in the house and the time came to welcome another dog. This is Bella, she's one. Looking forward to bringing her to the forest preserves, shore fishing, and seeing how she takes to a boat ride. She will learn the ropes with my girlfriend's daughter who is almost 5 and looking forward to her first time fishing when it warms up:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy Brett. We lost 3 of our furry family in the span of 10 months, including my oldest sons best bud he had for 18yrs. Its brutal. Hopefully Bella makes things more tolerable and makes a good fishing buddy. Also sorry to hear about the accident and concussion. Get well soon
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Mon 18, 2019 11:51 pm

big jay wrote:I got a new bullshad and had my buddy do a custom paint job in golden shiner for me it turned out great.

They look great Jay. I gotta get me some of those to try, they just look too damn good and match the forage of my lake to a T
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Feb Wed 27, 2019 3:05 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:
Brett wrote:One of the most important things you can bring fishing is good company. This past October after 13 years I had to say goodbye to my best fishing buddy:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy Brett. We lost 3 of our furry family in the span of 10 months, including my oldest sons best bud he had for 18yrs. Its brutal. Hopefully Bella makes things more tolerable and makes a good fishing buddy. Also sorry to hear about the accident and concussion. Get well soon

Thanks Heddon. Pets are like family, sorry to hear of your losses. Wouldn't hurt so much if they weren't so amazing, guess we just have to be grateful for the time we have.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Mon 01, 2019 8:07 am

Anyone have a Dobyns 735? If so, what is its best application in your opinion? Decided to upgrade a Sierra to a Champ XP. Plan on using it for frogs, football head jigs, heavy pitching, and swimbaits and scroungers up to around an 1 oz. Figured Dave or someone else might have this rod since it is very popular in the Dobyns line. Any info is appreciated.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Mon 01, 2019 8:13 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:Anyone have a Dobyns 735? If so, what is its best application in your opinion? Decided to upgrade a Sierra to a Champ XP. Plan on using it for frogs, football head jigs, heavy pitching, and swimbaits and scroungers up to around an 1 oz. Figured Dave or someone else might have this rod since it is very popular in the Dobyns line. Any info is appreciated.

Don't own a single Dobyns rod, so can't help you. :lol:

I will say... I had grabbed a 13 Omen Black spinning rod, 6'7" M/Fast, in the offseason, and paired it up with a President, and I'm in love with that rod after one use. Just feels good in the hand.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mikeyd » Apr Mon 01, 2019 8:55 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:Anyone have a Dobyns 735? If so, what is its best application in your opinion? Decided to upgrade a Sierra to a Champ XP. Plan on using it for frogs, football head jigs, heavy pitching, and swimbaits and scroungers up to around an 1 oz. Figured Dave or someone else might have this rod since it is very popular in the Dobyns line. Any info is appreciated.

I've owned mine for over 6 years and still one of my favorites. I use mine for swimbaits in the spring, pitching jigs and TX rigs 1/4 oz & up, and frogs. Tip action is nice for walking frogs. I personally go with a little heavier rod fishing a frog in super heavy mats though for when a fish gets buried but this rod will work. I find this rod gives me the best hook sets/landing percentage for fishing a weedless soft plastic swimbait where the hook has to travel through plastic. Great football jig rod too. Super versatile. However not ideal for lipless crankbaits or chatterbaits, which I've tried in a pinch.
mikeyd
Game Fish

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Mon 01, 2019 11:35 am

mikeyd wrote:

I've owned mine for over 6 years and still one of my favorites. I use mine for swimbaits in the spring, pitching jigs and TX rigs 1/4 oz & up, and frogs. Tip action is nice for walking frogs. I personally go with a little heavier rod fishing a frog in super heavy mats though for when a fish gets buried but this rod will work. I find this rod gives me the best hook sets/landing percentage for fishing a weedless soft plastic swimbait where the hook has to travel through plastic. Great football jig rod too. Super versatile. However not ideal for lipless crankbaits or chatterbaits, which I've tried in a pinch.

Thanks. Sounds like it is the right rod for me.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Mon 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Paul, I sold my Sierra 735 to Bert & Ernie here on the board. I replaced it with an Xtasy 755 and the only thing off your list I won't be using it for is frogging. I plan on getting either the Tatula Elite AGS Ish Monroe Frog rod or preferably a 7-4 Steez AGS XH Frog rod. Either way, it won't be used much for frogging but for extra large 1-1/2 to 2oz bladed jigs
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Tue 02, 2019 7:49 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:

Paul, I sold my Sierra 735 to Bert & Ernie here on the board. I replaced it with an Xtasy 755 and the only thing off your list I won't be using it for is frogging. I plan on getting either the Tatula Elite AGS Ish Monroe Frog rod or preferably a 7-4 Steez AGS XH Frog rod. Either way, it won't be used much for frogging but for extra large 1-1/2 to 2oz bladed jigs

Thanks for the info. I don't really frog fish that much anyways even though I want to change that. I would be using the rod more for heavy pitching and dragging big stuff across the bottom in deep water.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 02, 2019 9:18 am

My new Cabelas Fish Eagle 54 (7' MH) came yesterday. Taking it to Busse today to meet up with my best friend for some canoe fishing. Strangely - and without prior consultation - he picked up a Cabelas Fish Eagle with a Shimano reel a couple weeks ago.

Also got a Rebel frog and a Bomber popper recently. Can't wait for the warm up so I can try for some top water action.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Tue 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Rambler wrote:My new Cabelas Fish Eagle 54 (7' MH) came yesterday. Taking it to Busse today to meet up with my best friend for some canoe fishing. Strangely - and without prior consultation - he picked up a Cabelas Fish Eagle with a Shimano reel a couple weeks ago.

Also got a Rebel frog and a Bomber popper recently. Can't wait for the warm up so I can try for some top water action.

Is that Rebel frog a small hardbait? I think I saw that at Walmart. They had a bunch of small finesse cranks, mini wake baits and top waters. I was surprised by the variety.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Tue 02, 2019 3:42 pm

Break 3, lose 2 and replace with 3 but end up with some cool key chains
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 03, 2019 7:26 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Is that Rebel frog a small hardbait?

Yep. It's for walking the dog. the one I got is 2.5", 5/16 oz.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Apr Wed 03, 2019 8:51 am

Got myself a new camera, it's another hobby where you don't have to explain people what GAS is.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby polishfly » Apr Thu 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Been a while since I’ve had any fishing gas but besides the rack I built I picked up some endangered crank baits and my new favorite everything lure the Rex Spoon! Also got a 50’ clothes line reel that I plan on fitting w paracord for an anchor line management system. Now to figure out how to attach it to the bottom of my seat!!

Copy of 20190404_184951-1.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Thu 04, 2019 9:59 pm

polishfly wrote:Been a while since I’ve had any fishing gas but besides the rack I built I picked up some endangered crank baits and my new favorite everything lure the Rex Spoon! Also got a 50’ clothes line reel that I plan on fitting w paracord for an anchor line management system. Now to figure out how to attach it to the bottom of my seat!!

Man, I didn't know Excaliber still made baits..if that's the same Excaliber. I like the heavier weights on those square bills. I had a Buzz'n Rex spoon once, was not the most weedless hybrid buzz bait but fish hit it. Probably still around somewhere
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Fri 05, 2019 4:15 am

Picked up some P-Line Tactical in 8 lb and 15 lb from TW. Buy 1 spool get the 2nd free. Also added a Storm spybait to get over $50.

Is it just me or has the price of fluorocarbon come down? This year so far I bought 200 yard spools of 100% Fluorocarbon Berkley for $10, Gamma Touch 100 yard spools for $12 (awesome line. I really like the 7 lb), and now this P-Line. Maybe I have just been hitting the sales right.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Fri 05, 2019 6:21 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:Is it just me or has the price of fluorocarbon come down?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the profit margins on stuff like that are through the roof which makes putting it on sale a breeze. Last year BPS had Trilene flouro which I believe is normally $20 for $10. No way they're taking that much of a loss to bring people in.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Apr Fri 05, 2019 10:26 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:
polishfly wrote:Been a while since I’ve had any fishing gas but besides the rack I built I picked up some endangered crank baits and my new favorite everything lure the Rex Spoon! Also got a 50’ clothes line reel that I plan on fitting w paracord for an anchor line management system. Now to figure out how to attach it to the bottom of my seat!!

Man, I didn't know Excaliber still made baits..if that's the same Excaliber. I like the heavier weights on those square bills. I had a Buzz'n Rex spoon once, was not the most weedless hybrid buzz bait but fish hit it. Probably still around somewhere

Those Excalibur cranks are from eBay and I paid Livingston prices for em but I have OCP and I have to have them!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Sat 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Just got a Rebel Pop R - keep hoping this will be the year for top water - and a Bill Norman square bill to replace one I lost on the Kish last week. The crankbait's vintage from eBay but not too vintage.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Apr Sun 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Got out to Indiana for a quick camper shakedown and was surprised to find a baitshop reopening event so I had to pick up some stuff! Also scored a used Daiwa Aggrest 7.3 casting reel off my buddy which will go on my travel casting setup! Let the warm weather fishing begin!!

20190407_185510-1.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 11, 2019 7:02 am

Just ordered a Sebile square bill and a nifty folding seat for my sorry, wrinkled old ass when I fish the DPR. Why don't the river gods provide convenient logs to sit on?
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Apr Wed 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Got some real GAS! Found this random Texaco crank on ebay and it set off a bit of a spree. Got a new 12AH battery for my yak sonar, some new yak boxes, and a new giant tackle bag to hopefully hold all my shit :( I got problems!!!

20190424_202103_HDR-1.jpg

20190421_193517-1.jpg

20190424_155345-1.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Tue 28, 2019 11:56 am

Anybody make a big Tackle Warehouse order over the weekend? They got me for around $80. Restocked some ISG Tubes, tube jigs, stupid tube jigs, Owner EWG plastics hooks, ZMan Ned rig plastics, and a Rapala high contrast scale. How say you?
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:Anybody make a big Tackle Warehouse order over the weekend? They got me for around $80. Restocked some ISG Tubes, tube jigs, stupid tube jigs, Owner EWG plastics hooks, ZMan Ned rig plastics, and a Rapala high contrast scale. How say you?

No TW purchases... but I did order about 10 Project Z chatters in 2 different sizes and 2 different colors from Sportsman Outfitters, since they were on sale. I also bought a Quantum Tour KVD PT Crankin' rod on sale for $140, shipped, from an Amazon store a week ago. I then picked up a never used Revo X Gen 4 from Heddon in 5.4:1 with a carbon fiber handle, to put on that crankin' rod. Also picked up some assorted dropshot tackle I was running low on - specifically the VMC spinshot hooks in 3 different sizes, from Bass Pro. Love these dropshot hooks. And a prop frog from LunkerHunt. Oh, and some more soft, floating frogs from Yum, since they were on sale for $2.19 a bag.

The week prior, I picked up a 13 Fishing Fate Black 2 7'1, MH, Fast, on sale for $60, instead of the normal $100. I picked up a Quantum Icon PT 6.3:1 on sale for $85, to pair with that, and made it my new chatter/spinnerbait rod.

All in all... I've dropped about $450 in the past 3 weeks. :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » May Tue 28, 2019 1:00 pm

85k views and almost 1000 posts...we have some problems but the fishing economy is good!!

I stocked up on all things black!

20190516_231122-1.jpg
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Tue 28, 2019 1:07 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:Anybody make a big Tackle Warehouse order over the weekend? They got me for around $80. Restocked some ISG Tubes, tube jigs, stupid tube jigs, Owner EWG plastics hooks, ZMan Ned rig plastics, and a Rapala high contrast scale. How say you?

No TW purchases... but I did order about 10 Project Z chatters in 2 different sizes and 2 different colors from Sportsman Outfitters, since they were on sale. I also bought a Quantum Tour KVD PT Crankin' rod on sale for $140, shipped, from an Amazon store a week ago. I then picked up a never used Revo X Gen 4 from Heddon in 5.4:1 with a carbon fiber handle, to put on that crankin' rod. Also picked up some assorted dropshot tackle I was running low on - specifically the VMC spinshot hooks in 3 different sizes, from Bass Pro. Love these dropshot hooks. And a prop frog from LunkerHunt. Oh, and some more soft, floating frogs from Yum, since they were on sale for $2.19 a bag.

The week prior, I picked up a 13 Fishing Fate Black 2 7'1, MH, Fast, on sale for $60, instead of the normal $100. I picked up a Quantum Icon PT 6.3:1 on sale for $85, to pair with that, and made it my new chatter/spinnerbait rod.

Damn! That is some serious GAS!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 28, 2019 1:15 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:

Damn! That is some serious GAS!

Yeah, got hit hard by the GAS. On a good note, my bass arsenal is basically complete, now. I have a crankbait rod, a chatter/spinner rod, a jig/t-rig/c-rig rod, a jerkbait rod, and a couple of dropshot spinning rods(these get used for walleye applications, also). I only need a good froggin rod, and I'll have pretty much all my bases covered. Then I think I'll be happy with my bass gear. Maybe one more for standard topwater applications so I can always have a topwater tied on, but I used that Fate Black 2 the other day on Heidecke to chuck whopper ploppers up into flooded grass/cattails, and it performed just fine. So that other topwater rod isn't a necessity right now.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » May Tue 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Anybody make a big Tackle Warehouse order over the weekend?

Placed my TW order today. They got me for $125 but to be fair this is my first real purchase of the year. Mostly ordered NED jigs and plastics, a few square As, a couple J-7s, and my splurge was on a JH chatterbait.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » May Wed 29, 2019 3:39 pm

Never tried a shudder bait till last weekend. Verdict: it's a winner. Runs higher than a chatter, by that I mean it doesnt sink quite so fast. Perfect for going over shallow weeds and it has an outstanding thump to its retrieve. Not a replacement for the chatter, as I believe the chatter will still have it's time and place for presentation, but a quality option over a lightweight chatter or spinnerbait.
IMG_20190529_40475.jpg

Next bait is the Double Down Plopper from BPS. They were %25 off the other day. Regular price is 8.99. Whopper Plopper and its $16.99 price point can get lost. Verdict: Total winner, bye bye whopper plopper.

IMG_20190529_46116.jpg
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DasGoby » May Wed 29, 2019 4:36 pm

I know a guy who has great things to say about the Berkley version of the whopper plopper that retails for 9.99.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Wed 29, 2019 5:58 pm

That double Down is great for dirty water to make extra noise. Zilch to show for on it in clear or even semi clear water, it might be too much. I have a few in different sizes and should probably bust em out a little more often.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jul Wed 03, 2019 4:37 pm

What do you do when you break a rod?
a) cuss a lot
b) learn from it so you don't do it again
c) upgrade the rod
d) all of the above

Answer: d

742 Dobyns.jpg

I will use this DX742 SF for tubes, swimbaits, and dropshot- basically whatever I feel is going to be the hot bite. I have a 702 and 792 Champion that I use for tubes and swimbaits. My DX741 is an unbelievable Ned Rig rod.

Also replenished some tubes, swimbaits, and jigs with a recent TW order.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jul Wed 03, 2019 6:59 pm

When I upgrade I usually buy Bassin’ Teds old rods. :D
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Wed 03, 2019 11:44 pm

joetrain wrote:When I upgrade I usually buy Bassin’ Teds old rods. :D
~JOE~

Let him know you’re coming to town and ready for upgrades lol
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Thu 04, 2019 8:36 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:What do you do when you break a rod?
a) cuss a lot
c) upgrade the rod
d) all of the above

X2, except maybe c. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jul Sat 06, 2019 8:51 am

Rambler wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:What do you do when you break a rod?
a) cuss a lot
c) upgrade the rod
d) all of the above

X2, except maybe c. :D

As time goes on, I have learned to just save myself time and get the high-end rod to start. I have so many rods and reels that I cannot realistically carry any more. And I'm not buying that many rods and reels, maybe one a season, so if I get one, go balls out. I bought a Dobyns Sierra last year to fill a niche. It's a 7.3 heavy that I use for big jigs, frogs, C-rigs. I already wish I had gotten the next series up in their lineup. That rod probably is going to go on sale. Fishing is the only thing I somewhat spend frivolously on so I'm okay with it.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sun 07, 2019 8:54 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:As time goes on, I have learned to just save myself time and get the high-end rod to start. I have so many rods and reels that I cannot realistically carry any more. And I'm not buying that many rods and reels, maybe one a season, so if I get one, go balls out. I bought a Dobyns Sierra last year to fill a niche. It's a 7.3 heavy that I use for big jigs, frogs, C-rigs. I already wish I had gotten the next series up in their lineup. That rod probably is going to go on sale. Fishing is the only thing I somewhat spend frivolously on so I'm okay with it.

This as with all things, is a relative matter. If I was like you, a tournament fisherman I would agree 100%. If I was a tournament fisherman my reels would be spooled with 100lb braid (if it exists).

But as a casual - only somewhat serious fisherman who drives a relatively small hatchback and likes to have room for my granddaughters I can't see the need for a Dobyns or other boutique rod that only comes in 1 piece. So "upgrading" becomes again, a relative thing. As when my Fenwick Silverhawk II snapped when I pulled a big bass out of Busse I "upgraded" (some might say downgraded) to a Daiwa Fuego 7' 2-piece rod. Up/downed again recently by picking up a Cabelas Fish Eagle 54. Again, a 7' 2-piece. And the only time I carry multiple rods is when I'm in my canoe & then it's only 2 - 1 for fishing the other for just in case & if I decide to do some frogging.

The good news is we live in a world at a time when there are so many options for so many uses & things.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Jul Sun 07, 2019 9:03 am

Rambler wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:As time goes on, I have learned to just save myself time and get the high-end rod to start. I have so many rods and reels that I cannot realistically carry any more. And I'm not buying that many rods and reels, maybe one a season, so if I get one, go balls out. I bought a Dobyns Sierra last year to fill a niche. It's a 7.3 heavy that I use for big jigs, frogs, C-rigs. I already wish I had gotten the next series up in their lineup. That rod probably is going to go on sale. Fishing is the only thing I somewhat spend frivolously on so I'm okay with it.

This as with all things, is a relative matter. If I was like you, a tournament fisherman I would agree 100%. If I was a tournament fisherman my reels would be spooled with 100lb braid (if it exists).

But as a casual - only somewhat serious fisherman who drives a relatively small hatchback and likes to have room for my granddaughters I can't see the need for a Dobyns or other boutique rod that only comes in 1 piece. So "upgrading" becomes again, a relative thing. As when my Fenwick Silverhawk II snapped when I pulled a big bass out of Busse I "upgraded" (some might say downgraded) to a Daiwa Fuego 7' 2-piece rod. Up/downed again recently by picking up a Cabelas Fish Eagle 54. Again, a 7' 2-piece. And the only time I carry multiple rods is when I'm in my canoe & then it's only 2 - 1 for fishing the other for just in case & if I decide to do some frogging.

The good news is we live in a world at a time when there are so many options for so many uses & things.

100lb braid does exist, I have it on my musky rod. I dont think anyone uses more than 65lb for bass

St Croix makes 2 piece rods from the $80 Triumph all the way up to their $400 Legend Elite series
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Sun 07, 2019 9:28 am

FloridaRigger wrote:100lb braid does exist, I have it on my musky rod. I dont think anyone uses more than 65lb for bass

I use 120 lb. for my Deeper Sonar, and it does go heavier.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Sun 07, 2019 11:22 am

Not a lot but it was a lot. Slow evolution of big baits continues as does the love affair with the cute but deadly Dark Sleepers. I rarely fish without one rigged up. Hat was not what I ordered but it ended up being a good mistake. I ordered a vented hot weather model. This one is non-mesh, waterproof with Gortex windstopper and a sateen inner liner and will be a nice addition to the fall & winter headwear
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle & Gear