Ultralight rod recommendations

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Ultralight rod recommendations

Postby Brandon » Dec Thu 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi guys. Looking for some recommendations on a quality ultra light rod. Or possibly a combo. Wanting to hit some panfish on open water this Winter and stay within $80-$130 to do so. Curious to see what you guys have used and what you’ve liked/disliked.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Ultralight rod recommendations

Postby Rambler » Dec Thu 26, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm a committed UL user. Check out the Cabelas Fish Eagle 54. Very good for the money. For a reel you cannot go wrong with a UL Pflueger President. Have fun!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Fri 27, 2019 7:00 pm

BTW, when I 1st got into UL many years ago I started with a 5'6" rod. I think it was a Shakespeare. Got to talking with a business associate who fished with UL gear in North Carolina. He suggested that I move up to a 6'6" rod. I did & casting got better, longer. More recently I went to 7'. I suggest you start there.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Dec Fri 27, 2019 11:38 pm

Agree with Rambler on the longer rod. I actually started with a 5' and now have a 6' 6" that I prefer along with the 5'. The 5' is nice in certain circumstances like tight streams but most of the time I prefer the longer rod.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Dec Sat 28, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks guys. I’ve only used the shorter UL rods. Leaning towards 6’6” to 7 this time around. I’ll take a look at that Cabelas rod.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Sat 28, 2019 1:36 pm

My 'short' rod is a 6'6" Mitchell. Nice rod but I'm not sure it's still made. Got a Pflueger Trion on it. Better for tight spaces than the 7 footer.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UglyStick » Dec Sat 28, 2019 6:07 pm

I like the Uglystic 7 foot light pro. Distance and no problem flipping up a nice bass onto the shore or boat. $40 at Walmart.
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Sun 29, 2019 12:36 am

UglyStick wrote:I like the Uglystic 7 foot light pro. Distance and no problem flipping up a nice bass onto the shore or boat. $40 at Walmart.

Shocking :lol:
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Sun 29, 2019 9:51 am

Another rod to consider is the Daiwa Laguna. I had a 7 footer. Nice rod but when I stopped using it I sold it to Buffleheadbill who used to be a WCF regular.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Dec Mon 30, 2019 7:50 pm

Brandon wrote:Hi guys. Looking for some recommendations on a quality ultra light rod. Or possibly a combo. Wanting to hit some panfish on open water this Winter and stay within $80-$130 to do so. Curious to see what you guys have used and what you’ve liked/disliked.

When it comes to UL rods,

Dislikes:
Low-modulus graphite (stiffness to weight ratio), 2-piece rods, rods with an overly slow action, bends thru the handle under load.

High-modulus graphite, fast action, a hint of backbone when put under load, 1-piece rods.

IMO, UL action rods really expose the difference between a cheap, low quality graphite & a good 1 more than heavier actions do. In other words, the phrase "you get what you pay for" rings especially true for UL gear.

As far as length? It depends. Longer is always a better choice "IF" it maintains a fast action which sadly is a rare bird when it comes to UL rods. A 7' UL rod of low-modulus graphite will have the characteristics of a willow branch & be a detriment for anything other than hanging bait under a slip bobber. If you shake the tip & it takes more than a second or 2 for the rod to stop "wiggling", keep looking.
In the price range you mentioned, Id look at st. Croix. I used a 6' UL premier for a handful of years & found it serviceable.

IMO, a "good" UL for less than 100$ is like a unicorn.

For the last 15yrs I have used a loomis IMX SR781(6'6" -1piece). It was hard to rationalize the cost, initially, but after using it a while I realized I had spent 2x that trying other(cheaper) options in the years up to that point. My fishing buddies mostly gave me sh*t for overspending on a UL, &........................
within 2 perch seasons, they all :wink: bought the same rod!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Brandon » Dec Tue 31, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks Cletedius. You make some great points. I agree that you get what you pay for. I’ve seen it firsthand with my bass’n rods. And over the years I’d probably spend that much on cheaper rods that didn’t provide as much satisfying fishing when it’s all said and done. I’m tempted to splurge on something like a loomis. Thanks for your thoughts!
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Tackle & Gear