knot2kinky tieable leader wire

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

knot2kinky tieable leader wire

Postby DasGoby » Jan Thu 09, 2020 12:35 pm

I've never been a fan of wire leader, the pre-made ones are big and clunky. I'm pretty sure they adversely affect my catch rate for bass on the waters I fish in Michigan that are pretty clear and connecting the snap directly to a hook or jighead is awkward. At the same time, making my own leaders has always seemed hard.

Fishing in Florida the last few years has presented a challenge in this area as the salt water fish in the clear water are definitely line shy. At the same time, cudas and mackeral have much sharper teeth than pike. They can and do cut through 30lb fluro like it is nothing.

This year I decided to try the knot2kinky tieable wire to tie up some small 4-6" leaders using 12# wire with 1/0 hooks I use for live shrimp on the one end and invisi-swivels on the other end. It worked out great. The leaders were really easy to tie, just do a standard 5 wrap cinch knot on both sides, pull tight using a pair of pliers. On the performance side, my knots held well, the wire didn't kink much, and fish didn't seem to mind. It is a much stealthier presentation compared to the pre-made store bought leader.

This year I intend to try it out with some jigheads I use with Keitechs when I fish clear waters with combination of bass and pike.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: knot2kinky tieable leader wire

Postby DasGoby » Jan Thu 09, 2020 1:00 pm

Oh I should mention that the secret from my experience and what I've read is not to try and tighten it too much. It won't look as nice and tight as a knot with normal fishing line with the loops all tucked up next to each other but that doesn't matter, it will still hold.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Fri 10, 2020 7:48 am

Interesting. I only use leaders on the DPR & haven't had issues with them effecting lure action. But then again you never know. Think I'll check into this. Thanks for sharing.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jan Sat 11, 2020 7:28 pm

I fish so much tied wire...
AFW camo 49 strand surflon 26lb camo for pike. Double uni to main line. You can tie it to a clasp or use their #2 barrel and crimp it with your fishing pliers.

For mixed river smallie pike walleye fishing i downsize to 20lb AFW surflon. You could downsize to even 13lbs but that gets very thin. This knottable stainless steel nylon coated wire is flexible and same diameter as braid or fluoro.

For making youre own leaders you wouldnt find a better option and visibility is low.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Sun 12, 2020 9:39 am

Just ordered some. Looking forward to checking it out.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Tackle & Gear