4# PLine Fluoroclear review

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

4# PLine Fluoroclear review

Postby Rambler » May Sun 02, 2021 10:34 am

Early this season I bought 330 yds of 4# PLine & spooled it on the reel I use most for UL fishing. For the past several seasons I've used the 10# version of this line on 2 reels I use for bass fishing and have found it to be excellent. Like fluoro, it's invisible in the water and lacks the annoying line memory of pure fluoro.

But - and here's the rub - the same doesn't apply to the 4# version. First, it isn't as strong as popular monos like Stren or Trilene nor is as abrasion resistant. Worst of all, it's way too susceptible to line memory. While it's really thin (almost too thin for folks with old eyes) and casts like a dream, the line memory tends to create huge birds nests far too often.

I suspect it's due to its thinness. In heavier weight lines the copolymer core keeps the fluoro from exhibiting its worst attributes but when it gets down to 4# there's not enough of the core to counteract the line memory.

So my advice is if you're considering PLIne Fluorclear stay with the heavier versions.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: 4# PLine Fluoroclear review

Postby Rambler » May Tue 18, 2021 11:20 am

More on this.

Hit a spot on Salt Creek last Thurs. & spent 40 minutes getting this crappy, @###!!*&%%@ line out from INSIDE the reel.

On Sat the Fluoroclear went bye-bye, replaced by 4# Stren.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Tue 18, 2021 11:43 am

I had some fluoro line on one reel for about 2 outings and dumped it for Trilene XL.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » May Tue 18, 2021 1:09 pm

I tried the 14# and it had awful memory..from spool to garbage.. I had the 10# and the 12# before and had no problems. Few breaks at the knots but likely due to my lack of knot skill back in the day. Try the cx version moss green. It's stronger.
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » May Tue 18, 2021 1:38 pm

You need to try the thinnest PowerPro. I think its the diameter of what 1/2 or 1 lb test would be, yet, I think, it's about 8 lb test. So smooth, it can cast from here to Canada and you can actually pull out snags or land that unexpected larger fish.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » May Tue 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Keep in mind - I'm talking about PLine Fluoroclear - not pure fluoro.

The concept behind this line is coating a copolymer core with fluoro. I have 10# on 2 reels & it's great - strong, flexible with little line memory.

The problem with 4# is that it's too thin. It casts great but the line memory is close to pure fluoro.

I had 10 # pure fluoro on a reel years ago & after 1 season took it off - way too much of a pain in the ass.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » May Wed 19, 2021 3:51 am

Keep in mind - I'm talking about catching oodles of fish all while not losing lures.

Then catching oodles more fish by not not spending all afternoon digging in the tackle box for more lures and tying them on. Eventually, you run out of lures and have to make a trip to the store. Upon returning it either has started raining or you find 3 bucket heads have taken up squatting in your spot (2 defecating and one fishing). See, it all works out in the end.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Tackle & Gear