Frog Modification suggestions?

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Frog Modification suggestions?

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 30, 2021 7:24 am

So I've found a frog that gets absolutely CHOMPED every time I use it, problem is...the hook up ratio is easily the worst of all the frogs I use. My Go-To is the Booyah Pad Crasher, I've had a high success rate with it but the lure in question is the LiveTarget Hollow Body Popper Frog. It is the perfect middle ground between the Pad Crasher Jr. And Pad Crasher in size. The action and bubble trail are tops for the poppin frogs I use. I forgot to photograph it, but the wear and tear are incredibly evident on the 1 I own. I'll put a stock photo on so y'all can judge for yourselves.

I've tried the trailer hook and it's just too much of a headache. It takes away the frog's natural weedlessness and fish I've hooked with the trailer hook on have almost never been actually hooked by it.

Stock Photo for reference:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Frog Modification suggestions?

Postby Luckydawg13 » May Sun 30, 2021 7:37 am

Irun your finger down the back of the frog do you just prick the hooks if not bend them out a little bit more
Kids that hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby catchafew » May Sun 30, 2021 10:35 am

A long gone member once mentioned to take pliers and open up the hooks a little and this will improve the hook up ratio and not ruin it's weldless nature.

Sorry for this pedantic question. I trust with your frogging you have AT LEAST a 7' rod that has a heavy or extra heavy power, fast action rod with some type of heavy braid? Frogging is an interesting technique that brings up a lot of differing opinions, I'm in the camp of having a heavy frogging rig.

I don't know if this question has ever been explored but I wonder if some of these frogs have rubber bodies that's are a little too stiff and it negatively impacts the hook up ratio.

I rarely fish frogs now, I'm not really on the cutting edge anymore with the latest, but keep us updated.

Good luck.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 30, 2021 10:45 am

catchafew wrote:Sorry for this pedantic question. I trust with your frogging you have AT LEAST a 7' rod that has a heavy or extra heavy power, fast action rod with some type of heavy braid? Frogging is an interesting technique that brings up a lot of differing opinions, I'm in the camp of having a heavy frogging rig.

Oh yeah, I posted a thread years ago asking for the specifics I should be looking for. I have a dedicated frogging setup, 7'3" mag heavy xfast tip with 65 lb. Braid. The summer months my primary lake is a froggin heaven, so I pretty much only fish the frog there and have for several years now.

This particular frog is pretty soft, about as soft or softer than the Booyahs i use. In a penny saving pinch, I got one of those BPS frogs and theyre awful. Thickest hardest plastic I've ever seen on a hollow body. I've dabbled with tons of these by now so I can go on and on about the pros and cons of most of em.

Thanks guys, I'll bend those hooks when I get on the water later.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » May Sun 30, 2021 1:14 pm

I suck at frogging, but I did what the other here suggested and bent the hooks out so that they run above the body. That helped a bit.
Grain
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 30, 2021 3:24 pm

So looking at my actual lure, I can see the hit points of the hook against the body and it does seem quite low. I just bent em out and im heading out to the water now. Will report later if I get any bites!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Luckydawg13 » May Sun 30, 2021 4:54 pm

Heck even if you don't catch anything report back :mrgreen: I've been stuck home all weekend watching my daughter's puppy
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Luckydawg13 wrote:Heck even if you don't catch anything report back :mrgreen: I've been stuck home all weekend watching my daughter's puppy

Haha well you're in luck!

1 hit/no hookup
1 hit/hookup
3 smacks where the fish totally missed.

50% ratio is better than the roughly 10% I'd been having. Extra bonus was I found a lure I lost my last outing :lol:

Pics for clout lol
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 30, 2021 6:11 pm

Oh! And comparison of pre bend and post bend. Subtle, but theyre hard hooks. Need another pair of pliers to help bend more.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Luckydawg13 » May Sun 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Awesome thanks for the report from the drag mark's looks like you fished it pretty good
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby catchafew » May Sun 30, 2021 11:08 pm

Woo, Thanks for the follow-up report. The greatest thing we bring in fishing, with all other things being equal, is our curiosity and ability to connect the dots. Good work.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DPMike » May Mon 31, 2021 7:47 am

One could also take a short length of thread and tie it around the body and the hooks. this dimples the body down a smidge to expose the hook points.

Nice fish too, I'm going to try and get out today.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby tacklebox » May Mon 31, 2021 8:49 am

Besides bending the hooks out further, I will also trim the legs shorter. They are usually way too long.
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby Luckydawg13 » May Mon 31, 2021 9:41 am

Yes turn the frog up side down if the legs are longer than the body trim them if longer than the body trim them
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Return to Tackle & Gear